1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A list of confirmed Zerg units/mechanics

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by -LT-, Dec 21, 2007.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by -LT-, Dec 21, 2007.

1. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Units:

Drone
    No new information is available on this Zerg resource-gatherer. It is unclear how the relationship between the Drones and the Queen will function now that the latter is capable of producing some sorts of structures.

Overlord
    - Can no longer detect invisible/burrowed units.
    - New ability: Can neutralize resources or neutral posts.
    - Can create small creeps.

The Overlord returns to reprise it's role as the source of control for the Zerg army. But the new and improved Overlord now has some new tricks up it's sleeve. It has been confirmed, at the official Zerg announcement, that the Overlord may have a method of attack (or some aggressive tendencies). It has also been seen in some screenshots to be using an ability involving a liquid pouring out of it to the ground below, but the details of the ability are, as yet, unknown.

The Overlord is rumoured to have lost its detection ability to the Overseer, a unit evolved from Overlords just as Banelings evolve from Zerglings. Whether or not Overlords kept their transport ability isn't clear yet, but Nydus Worms seem to make them obsolete in that function.

Overseer
    - Evolves from: Overlord
    - Larger vision range than the Overlord, can detect invisible/burrowed units.

Zergling
    Perhaps the one unit that remains very similar to its StarCraft counterpart is the Zergling. The Zergling is still the base unit of the swarm, a small, cheap, yet fast attacker that can quickly overwhelm the opponent.

Baneling
    - Evolves from: Zerglings
    - Explodes on contact with enemy units or buildings

The Baneling is a new evolution of the Zergling. Working with similar attacking mechanics to the StarCraft Scourge, it uses powerful internal chemistry to create a devastating explosive reaction. Since the original gameplay videos of SCII the main change in the Baneling seems to be its speed. Whereas it used to be a rather slow moving unit, barely keeping up with a Colossus, it is now a fairly fast unit able to keep pace with a running (though not charging) Zealot.

Hydralisk
    The new Hydralisk has a far meaner appearance than it did when the Swarm withdrew from the Terran sector. The Hydralisk now stands as tall as a Protoss Stalker and its spiked carapace has a far more lethal look. There is some speculation that they may have gained a melee attack in addition to their (still present) ranged attack, however there is currently no direct evidence of this.

Lurker
    The Lurker seems to remain close to its original counterpart, albeit with the disadvantage of being seen while burrowed without the need of a detector. Whether or not it can also be attacked from this position is not known, as a detector may be necessary to target the bodies of these fearsome beasts.

Mutalisk
    The mutalisk remains a swift Zerg flier that is armed with glave wurms to hit multiple targets. We cannot confirm which Zerg fliers, if any, evolve from the mutalisk although it is likely at least one does.

Roach
    - Ground unit that can regenerate HP at an incredibly fast rate.
    - Requires powerful and concentrated fire to destroy.
    - Has 90HP.

The Roach is a fast moving new Zerg melee unit. It has been said to have an extremely high HP regeneration rate compared to other units, but it also sports a relatively low health total. This means that focus fire or heavy damage bursts are required to kill off a Roach, but without it they may be as hard to put down as their namesakes.

Queen
    - Created directly from the Hatchery
    - Can only have 1 Queen at a time.
    - Has many powerful abilities that are good for zerg and directs the defensive line.
    - Can expand creeps or act as a defensive structure.
    - [Ability] Deep Tunnel: Can move to any hatchery on the map.
    - Can evolve and learn more abilities.

It appears that the Queen will be a production unit in Starcraft II; it is capable of laying eggs, as well as "evolving" throughout the course of a game. The Queen is produced directly from the Hatchery, and only one may exist at a time. It may extend the Zerg creep and in addition to having some form of control over Zerg base defenses it can also spawn a type of automatic base defense similar to the nomad's auto-turret. The Queen has many abilities that it learns through evolving, one of which is the deep tunnel ability, which allows it to 'teleport' anywhere else on the creep; another ability speculated at this point is called Toxic Creep, which may be the source of the darker creep seen in some screenshots. Its exact effect is unknown.

Despite what the description may lead you to think, Blizzard has made it clear that the Queen is neither a super-unit nor a hero unit. It appears to be relatively easy to kill if not protected properly.

Infester
    - As a battle support unit, does not have any attacks.
    - Can move while burrowed.
    - Can cast Dark Swarm: Seems to be the same.
    - Can cast Disease: Creates and aura that damages the unit.
    - Can cast Infestation: Can infest any building and create infested marines from them. The marines are slow, but fires similar to regular marines.

The Infester is the successor to the Defiler. It is unique in its ability to move whilst burrowing, giving them an unprecedented amount of maneuverability. The Infester not only has the defiler ability Dark Swarm, but also has the ability to infest buildings. Currently the only buildings confirmed for infestation are the Terran Barracks, Supply Depot and Command Center. The brownish fluid they are seen spraying in various screenshots (and in the gameplay video) is the animation for their Infestation ability. We have unconfirmed reports that even some Protoss buildings are vulnerable to being infested.

Corrupter
    - An air-to-air combat unit.
    - Rather than destroying it's opponents, it infests them and turns them into a stationary turret-like unit/building, making them fight their own allies.

The Corrupter is a new Zerg dedicated anti-air flying unit. This squid-like monstrosity has the ability to control enemy air units and turn them on their allies.

Swarm Guardian
    - Evolves from: Mutalisk
    - Has an even longer range, and powerful against ground units.
    - Can create broodlings that attack for a period of time.

The Swarm Guardian is supposedly similar to the guardian of StarCraft, though it is rumored to have the ability to spawn Broodlings. How this process will work is not yet clear, and screenshots of this unit in action are exceedingly rare.

Ultralisk
    - Can now burrow.
    - Can now attack multiple units.

The largest and arguably the most threatening looking unit in the Swarm is the new Ultralisk. The colossal beast has evolved, now sporting two extra blade arms, potentially giving it the ability to hit multiple targets at once (see screenshot discussion). It is now able to burrow underground, and seems to walk over some smaller units - such as Zerglings - unhindered.

Nydus Worm
    This transport unit is the Zerg's primary means of bypassing cliffs and terrain obstacles, and can be surfaced anywhere on the map where a Zerg player has vision. Further detail about how they function has yet to be released, however the exact workings of Nydus Worms will probably remain just as mysterious as the Nydus Canals from StarCraft: Brood War.

Infested Terran
    The Infested Terran has changed considerably since its original incarnation. Instead of a mindless suicide bomber, the Infested Terran is now much closer to a normal Terran Marine, the likes of which we have seen in the past in both StarCraft concept art and StarCraft: Ghost gameplay. The infested Terran moves slower than a normal Marine but it uses the same weapons available to its human equivalent.

Buildings:

Hatchery
    The Zerg main base. Can be upgraded to the Lair and Hive. Serves as the location where larva spawn and where the queen can be constructed.

Lair
    Tier two Hatchery. Offers upgrades to Overseer (increased armor) and Overlord (increased armor and speed).

Hive
    Tier three Hatchery. Necessary for unlocking all build and upgrade options.

Spawning pools
    Lets you build Zerglings and offers Zergling upgrades (increased movement speed).

Extractor
    Built on vespene gas deposits to make them accessible for mining.

Evolution Chamber
    Contains research upgrades for burrow (unlocks burrow), slime (Overlord), generate creep (Overlord – this ability also increases Zerg buildings' creep generation speed), and lets you upgrade the queen's creep tumors to shriekers.

Roach Den
    Enables the spawning of roaches, and contains roach upgrades (increased attack and armor ).

Nest
    Lets Zerglings morph into Banelings, contains Baneling upgrades (increased weapons and armor).

Hydralisk Den
    Enables the spawning of Hydralisks, contains Hydralisk upgrades (increased attack and armor), can mutate into a deep warren. Once a deep warren is created, you can access a Lurker upgrade (increased weapons and armor).

Spire
    Allows for the spawning of Mutalisks and Corruptors. Contains Mutalisk upgrades (increased weapons and armor) and Corruptor upgrades (increase weapons and armor). Can be upgraded to a Greater Spire.

Greater Spire
    Unlocks the Swarm Guardian and opens up Swarm Guardian upgrades (increased weapons and armor).

Nydus Warren
    Enables the spawning of Infestors and Nydus Worms. Friendly units can use the Nydus Warren to instantly travel to any other Nydus Warren or Nydus Canal owned by that player. Also offers spell upgrades for Infestors.

Ultralisk cavern
    Lets you create Ultralisks and offers Ultralisk upgrades (increased weapons and armor).

2. -LT-

-LT- New Member

BUMP

I updated the list.

3. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the overlord can spawn creep. and thats about it, i think, i dont know, its 1 am i and im about to go to bed.

4. needler

needler New Member

I don't think that the corrupted units fight. It looked like they did nothing, but the enemy attacked them.

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They do fight. They fight against your enemy.

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I think that they were shooting in the video.

7. needler

needler New Member

The corrupted Battlecruisers didn't even turn towards the vikings.

8. -LT-

-LT- New Member

The battlecruisers were destroyed.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It must take time for them to be corrupted. The Battlecruisers were covered by the infestation but didn't turn around to attack the Vikings when they came. Same goes for when the Vikings were corrupted.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    No they wasn't, the Battlecruisers turned to a Zergish colour and just remained in the air not even moving. Then the Vikings destroyed them. Same with the Viking, 3 of them got corrupted or whatever then just did nothing. I don't think they can attack.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In fact, if the Corruptors destroyed most of the Vikings, even if the surviving Vikings destroyed a lot of the Corrupted ones, shouldn't there have been more Corrupted ones left over at the end? Might it only have a certain chance at Corrupting it, and all other times it's just destroyed?

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The Vikings killed them selfs in effect. I think it might do ''corruption damage'' instead of inflicting actual HP damage. The reason I say that is because the BC would get destroyed instantly if the Corruptors did actual damage.
    But what the unit does is, basically does the corrupt damage then the enemies air units target the corrupted units which don't fire back. So the army fights against its self.
    Of course a little micro managment would get rid of the Corruptors.

13. -LT-

-LT- New Member

The list is now updated with new info!

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You said the Corruptor can control the air units, is there any evidence of this or announcments at you can control the corrupted units?

15. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Ah! thanks LT! you made start to understand the new Zerg more!

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The corrupter is a bit complex, i hope Blizzard will explain it in the next batch.

17. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I came up with a similar concept to the new zerg queen. Not really the abilities, but the idea of a unit that is limited to one for each zerg player that can continue to upgrade and gain new abilities through out the coarse of the game.

Blizzard, you plagiarists! Lol j/k. I am really glad for the new zerg queen, it was what I was wishing for ^_^

18. Overling

Overling New Member

Of course I would come back when the Zerg appear! >:-D OMG! They friggin rule! Sry for disappearing from the forums, btw. :p

I hope the Corruptor doesn't give the enemy control of your units, because that's too complex to use.I rather have it simple and unexpected, just like Mutas' bouncing thingy: you never knew where it would bounce to...

19. JimSkarrj

JimSkarrj New Member

I dont know if i can edit the first post so if some one else could update it for me that would be great.

Got this info from IGN.com, they also have some HD videos (nothing new) but still nice.... they also had a hands on with the zerg so the info is reliable (until bliz updates).

Taken from IGN, strongly recommend you check it out there is some pretty good info.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/857/857993p1.html

check out the site for some HD versions of current videos... they are all cut up to make for easier bandwidth.

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's interesting. I'da thought that Nydus Wyrms would be counted as a building. Maybe not.
    Ah, read on a bit as saw the bit about Nydus Wyrms and Nydus Canals. Sounds fairly interesting I must admit. At first I thought they were like the StarCraft1 ones, and was annoyed when the devs said that this will act as the Zerg's cliff jumper. I guess it's starting to make more sense now, but they still deserve a cliff jumper.
    About the Overlord and Overseer, I hope that there isn't much of a visual change. I really like what the Overlord looks like at the moment so I wouldn't want it to evolve into something that doesn't look as good.
    It still rolls? From the latest high resolution images it looked as though it had been changed to walking. I didn't really like the rolling in the Protoss Gameplay video, I'd prefer it if they just ran as they were in the images.
    This units attack animation looked odd to begin with, I'd hate to see what it looks like when it attacks air targets.
    No info on whether the Lurker is visible while burrowed? That thing's cause a fair bit of controversy. My gut feeling is that the top of it will only be seen by the controlling player and not by opponents.
    Swarm Guardian now has the Broodling ability as well. I'm split over who this ability should belong to and I guess that if it was any unit other than the Queen, it'd be the Guardian. I'll sorely miss Broodling runs with Queens though. I know Queens are now ground units, but still. Also, I wonder if the Queen will be able to shift into a flyer like the Viking? It's obviously still suited to flying, maybe it can be upgraded to change from ground to air and back.
    Those aren't mandibles. Mandibles are parts of the jaw, so unless it swings its small mouth at people (which it wouldn't do if it had those blades at its disposal), I don't see an area of effect attack coming from them.
    The other info on the units, the Queen, Corruptor, Roach, etc, would be extremely helpful in their specific topics. Would you be able to post them there?