1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Terran's Guide to the Universe

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by MeisterX, Mar 25, 2010.

A Terran's Guide to the Universe

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by MeisterX, Mar 25, 2010.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [​IMG]

So you're a Terran player in StarCraft 2. Maybe you never were in SC1. Maybe you like the challenge of a race that's been a bit neglected. We're underpowered and we're proud, right? Or maybe you're one of the other two races that are trying to keep us down and you just want to learn what makes us tick. Well, we'll have our day. You'll see! The easiest race to learn and the hardest to play, this is your Terran's Guide to the Universe! It'll teach you everything you need to know at this stage of the beta to win and do it in style.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the article just has too much good stuff in it to read on the front page, so you'll just have to read the rest here! Good luck Terrans!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. atsharrock

atsharrock New Member

Good article!!

As a terran player myself you basically have the same build as me.

As soon as i started doing this build i started winning alot of games, i went from copper (had some awful games when i started out as Terran) to silver where i am now using this almost exact same technique.

3. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    Very well put together article! i would love to write up one of these about my experiences with toss sometime :p

4. Gforce

Gforce New Member

good some tactics for when i finally get the game.

5. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Nicely said JonX.

But:
    I'm sure this is in your opinion cause from what I've read/seen/been told I am tending not to agree with that statement. Just add the IMO to that statement and your ok.
    Again that is in your opinion. So add IMO to that statement.

Also one day someone should do the same thing as you did, as in wrote up a ncie article, but for the Protoss and another for the Zerg. So all our fans can be happy.

All that aside the article for the most part is well put together. Very nice to see your opinions on the Terran race and how to play as them in your opinion.

6. m3m0ry21

m3m0ry21 Guest

u didnt talk about stim pack ... pls talk about this

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Stim? Stim is very useful against Zerg. If you're expecting Banelings it's a great ability to research. But I find it's really not the way to go until you have Medivacs because of the health hit you take.

If you use the stim you can really only use it twice before Zealots will start two-shotting your Marines which you really don't want. I'm sure getting the HP boost helps a lot with that, but I find getting the HP Armor boost is a much better use of your 150/150 in the early game.

8. m3m0ry21

m3m0ry21 Guest

i only ask because i heard end read many opinions saying stim is the uber-spell no matter in what time of game (early-mid-or lategame)
    but i guess u know what ur saying ^^
    and another question, when do u suggest to build ravens and research their damage spell
    and u say 'build rafinary', how many scv's do i have to put into ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  9. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

When you're writing an article such as this, "IMO" is implied. There's no reason to spam "IMO" after every sentence. No professional journalist add such unnecessary statements. I see no reason why Joneagle should either.

Wow, your critique is on crackroids at the moment :(

10. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Well you are picking what I say to pieces a lot recently. Seems what I say is worthy of your nitpicking attention. You don't single out anyone else like this. Oohhhh makes me feel special. Thanks :).

And it is not implied. Because it is posted in a general news section. In the newspaper it is only implied cause it's under the feature articles section and all feature articles are opinionated. But stuff that is mixed in with hard news articles (like of our front page) needs those few words. Someone new to SC2 and beta reading that for the first time could think that is from an official source and not just a player's opinions. (Bloody good opinions I must say).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ M3mory,

I've heard of Terrans using the stim in early game, especially against Zerg. But I've not heard of them using it against Protoss before Medivacs effectively.

It's great to cut through Zerglings as it does an incredible amount of damage prior to melee contact, and it's a hard counter to Banelings (but you can also push those Hellions which in my opinion is a better option).

You could also opt for stim so long as you are planning on immediately teching to Medivacs. But this is a dangerous approach as a Protoss player can simply delay your Marines while they're on stim, giving them free hits on your force.

As far as Ravens, I don't usually build them unless I'm forced to. As the game progresses into late game I usually allow my Orbital Command to have a reserve of at least 50 mana. I don't use up it's last scan in case I need it. Usually that one scan is enough to either destroy the threat or enough to give you time to tech the Raven.

But as far as it's abilities I find it more prudent to use resources creating fighting units rather than a "weak" caster like the Raven. I have, however, been experimenting with using its missile ability as a support for units in late-game especially against Zerg. I do think the speed of the ability needs a boost as there are very few units that can't outrun it very easily. It could also do with a damage boost to 150 so that it one-shots Roaches which I think it needs to do.

When you build a refinery the optimum number of SCVs to man it is 3. So command your first SCV to build it, and upon its completion you should assign two additional SCVs to the refinery. Make sure the SCVs you assign have returned their minerals to the CC and are returning when you order them to the refinery.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  12. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

I do it because you've been doing it to me since as far back as I care to remember. I "single you out" because no one else overly critiques every little thing a person does and no one else did it to me. I'm not being hostile. I'm just saying. Please don't take it as me trying to insult you. It seems to me you get a bit agitated when someone critiques you :D It's a bit funny you would complain that I was nitpicking you when that's exactly what you've been doing to Joneagle for at least five times now. Maybe you should consider refraining from doing it to others since you know how it feels.

Anyways,

This implies that it is his thoughts and opinions (which anyone who knows what the article is about will immedately understand) and that anything he says is, in fact, implied as an opinion. Basic Writing 101. I know because I'm currently attending college English classes so its fresh on my mind.

It's like expecting a review to contain "IMO" after every sentence. It's a review. By default it's going to contain nothing but the writer's opinions. There's no need for redundancy.

But, in the end, it being implied or not doesn't matter in the least. What matters is that you should immediately know when reading it that it's an opinion. If I wrote "There is a God" in an article, would you take it as an opinion or a fact if it was on the front page of a newspaper in a section that usually contains nothing but unbiased truth? Is your ability to discern fact from opinion entirely based on where the article is placed? Do you ignore the contents of the article?

if I were to post right now that WarCraft III > StarCraft: Brood War, would you consider if a factual statement?

13. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Ok enough DeckardLee. We shall not critique each other anymore on the forums as it's just spam others hate reading. We can PM each other. No one wants to see two people at each other all over the forums.

14. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

I don't think we're "at each other" at all much less all over the forums. I consider this plain speaking. Still, include all other posters in that (not just me) and you have yourself a deal.

15. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Fair enough. And there are no other posters in it. I only said us cause we post about it a lot of the forums. But if you're ok with it here, then it's cool. I'm not out to get anyone. I'm here for the same reaon as everyone else. SC2 info + fun.

16. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

Joneagle is one :D

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I actually love reading this. Deckard is right, you know. :p

Anyway, thanks for a great article. Gives some more insight in how exactly the "new" starcraft is going to be for terrans. Liking it so far. Now I only need a beta key to test it. ;)

One question: do you actually ever use bunkers as terran at the start of a game? Or at any point in the game, for that matter? I always see stuff being blocked by buildings, instead of the bunkers which are more or less designed to do it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  18. Mako

Mako New Member

In my experience I have only ever used bunkers in a strategy called "bunker rush" against the Zerg. Basically you build a fast bunker at their natural expansion and get some marines in it so you can prevent them from expanding while you control the map. Its the only decent strat with bunkers i've seen and used so far.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Well, thanks for the beta key Jon! :)

20. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

@Mako: In one of my first matches, I got bunker rushed on Desert Oasis. A Terran player proxy barracks near my base and then placed a bunker below my miners. By the time he started building the barracks, I had one zealot almost ready but by the time it came out, there was already two or three marines in the bunker. He lifted off his barracks to give sight and started attacking my probes. That was a pretty effective use of bunker.

Granted, I ran away and expanded then made zealots and successfully clean up his base but, as a Terran, he just flew away and finished my buildings :D