1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archons in PvZ. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Stirlitz, May 16, 2011.

Archons in PvZ. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Stirlitz, May 16, 2011.

1. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Hey there guys... I played a few matches today after a relatively long break and did some practice matches with a friend and at some point I made like 12 templar or so, but forgot to research storm(yeah, I'm pro like that :p) so I merged them into archons and was quite positively amazed by them...

Anyway, a while ago I was watching Tyler's stream and he did use archons in like all his PvZs and while I was thinking of a zealot/archon build with weapon upgrades and using archons for a gas dump, tyler(being a "slightly" better player than me, lol :p) did 2 very nice builds that I liked a lot, one was a 2gate DT rush into expo into archons when detection was out, which I loved(though at first I was a bit skeptical about the archon cost through DTs) but the other one that I liked a lot was a unit composition(I'm not talking about the build, but just what units he ended up having) which consisted of lots of archons, lots of blink stalkers, a few sentries for FFs and a few colossi(when maxed out). I can say that I've never seen a roach/hydra ball evaporate so fast as that time. With the archons splashing for ~50 dmg and the colossi splashing for like 40+ and the stalkers being free to shoot with a meaty wall of archons in front of them, man that was insanely effective. Thing is that the zerg player in the said match had a crapload of corruptors and no broodlords yet, so I guess that with broodlords in play it will turn out a lot worse since there's gonna be a crapload of wasted shots on broodlings which will reduce the archon efficiency but there's where the blink comes into play, with so many stalkers broodlords won't be too hard to snipe...
    It also had some VR/phoenix in the mix, but really with so many corruptors they evaporated so fast that didn't really matter, better off if they'd been stalkers/archons/colossi instead...

So what do you guys think? Any of you have any experience with using archons in ZvP? In any other matchups?

2. TheWarOwl

TheWarOwl New Member

USA
    I've found arcons to be very effective in PvZ, but they are so expensive I usually am only able to use them in macro games. Now that the have increased range, they make more sense on your front line. Also, they eat up muta clouds, if they get close enough to get a shot off.

I've also tried an arcon toilet and it actually still works. They tried to nerf it by adding an invincibility timer on the units exiting a vortex, but that just means the other player has a few seconds to get his units out of there. If you have enough arcons, his units will still be relatively bunched together. Instead of 3 you should get a good 6 or so for it to work now.

3. asdf

asdf New Member

i dunno, i'm not sure about going purely archons, but a heavy HT army and making archons out of them when they run low on energy is a better idea. 2 good storms can easily deal more damage than an archon in its average lifetime, so get your storm's worth first.

4. brotosterone

brotosterone New Member

OMG PROTOSS NEEDS TO USE MORE ARCHONS.

I've played a few protoss as Zerg that use a lot of archons and they are are SO scary and strong. Having a few of those mixed in with your death ball is so difficult to deal with.

5. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
  6. olmaster

olmaster New Member

Netherlands
    IMO very destructive. After the bump I tried this very same tactic. If DT were spotted I jumped to archons. Building 2gate dt into stargate robo and add an extra few gates after exp. Only bloody thing is mass VR, which is used 75% of the teamgames. Which by the time they will have because the build is so cost ineffective.

7. DamagedGamers

DamagedGamers New Member

Their okay lategame, not the greatest. However, the newest patch did help.

8. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    only get a small handfull of them, you need zealots with archons. general rule. some nice FF help a lot.

if you get archons, might as well get storm in order to be more effective, then after get archons.

9. BlueIron

BlueIron New Member

Teton county Idaho
    I find that archons are a good way to use dts After your opponent gets detection, Awse transitions requiring no additional buildings and no one ever expects it for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    agreed... but i prefer not to, i always find a way to keep my dts useful, either i hide them in my army, or send them off to scout/harass. As a last minute resort, or im low on gas I will merge them. But usually in that case, thats a sign for me to expand again.

archons are amazing in PvT also vs MMM

11. alanroberts0011

alanroberts0011 New Member

I personally believe that archons are great in PvZ for 2 reason. First you need Templar to get archons which are great against Zerg in it's own right with storm. Second is archons deals splash damage to ground and air which is amazing against swarming style of most Zerg players.

12. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    season 2?

even better in season 3, they are massive units, they can walk over forcefields and cannot get stunned.

13. Ragnarok

Ragnarok New Member

Archons aregreat against zerg as lings and mutas clump up