1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baneling Busting Reactively

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by HamsterSales, Aug 9, 2011.

Baneling Busting Reactively

1. HamsterSales

HamsterSales New Member

CA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGwG04FYgs

I've been baneling busting terrans reactively after they make a failed push. This commentary isn't necessarily an example of how to do it perfectly since both myself and my opponent make a lot of mistakes, but i've been successful the past 3 times this has happened in plat lvl games. I used to just expand and drone up after a failed bunker rush/early marine push but I'm really loving this tactic as an alternative that seems to be netting me some easy early wins, even once when the terran had techd to blue flame hellions.

I've found it to have an extremely high success rate, anyone else have any experience with this?

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I think I've already commended you for your casting. One thing I don't remember seeing and commenting on is the mouse action you perform while talking o_O you're not playing, you don't need to warm up your hands ;)

Also, lings have better dps than drones - move them to the front. And turn down game volume when you're commentating - it really is annoying and I learnt it the hard way, after 9 hours of commentating a tournament.

As for the strategy itself, the bust could've happened sooner and the Terran's macro was bad while attacking so as with your previous cast, you were so much better than your opponent that the strategy itself can't shine. That is, a closer game could outline its merits more.

3. HamsterSales

HamsterSales New Member

CA
    Thanks for the input once again man. I finally feel I've got the perfect volume mix in my upcoming uploads, but unfortunately this last cast was particularly bad with the game sounds overwhelming my voice.

Besides the fact that I may have outplayed my opponent and, as I qualified multiple times in the cast, there were numerous problems in my own play, do you have any thoughts on baneling busting reactively as a general tactic?

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Considering you're sarificing gas units for mineral-only depots and marines, it's risky. Since it's easy to keep marines split behind their wall (not splitting in action because that takes real skill), the bust can easily put you behind. I usually do it for the awesome factor or when I'm sure he's teching or expanding, because otherwise he'll have too much stuff (if he knows his Terran and hugs buildings to minimise ling effectiveness, etc.).

However, one thing I like doing after busts is slice off 2 or 4 lings and ninja-morph them into banelings in a remote spot in their main, then try to damage the mineral line later. So you've got to have a plan for after the bust because it's easy to go "OMG everything exploded I must've won" only to lose to a mass marine counter.

5. JDub

JDub New Member

Baneling busting reactively is a very strong tactic, in particular after a failed 2 rax opening or a 1 rax expand. I agree with kuvasz that it is a risky tactic, but if you've checked and there is a depot in the Terran wall, you're almost guaranteed to do enough damage to at least come out close to even, depending of course on how ahead you are coming out of the opening.

I really have to disagree with kuvasz about the Terran's chances with mass marines, as I think if Terran is following up with mass marines then that is almost a guarantee that a well-executed bust will work (assuming they don't make a full barracks wall or 3+ bunkers). If they split their marines then lings will be super effective, and if they clump their marines then banelings are super effective. That said, the times I encounter mass marine in that stage of the game is when Terran is expanding as well, so kuvasz is right that the bust will be way more effective if the Terran is expanding.

For example, just the other day a terran tried to set up a bunker contain outside my natural with mass marines, and placed 4-5 bunkers, with marines spread around the bunkers. He did this while taking a fast 3rd base (trying to get his up way before I could take mine). All I did was pumped ling/bane on 2 bases, crushed the contain, headed to his base, and won.

If the Terran is following up with tech, however, than just a few helions can completely demolish your bust, as they can kite banelings and destroy lings so quickly. And of course 1 tank in siege mode in a good position, if target firing your banelings, can also ensure a failed bust.

6. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    that terran player was terribad..
    - didnt siege
    - didn't micro
    - didn't pull off workers fast enough
    - didn't scout
    - didn't get hellions
    - didn't get a medivac
    - didn't get any rax addons
    - didn't get watch towers

its easy to baneling bust someone who is playing blind, and bad

nonetheless... nice rush, could be done faster tho. Doesn't work in masters tho.