1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Avatar for Sale

Discussion in 'Forum Shop and Battle.Arcade' started by ArchLimit, Aug 1, 2007.

Custom Avatar for Sale

Discussion in 'Forum Shop and Battle.Arcade' started by ArchLimit, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Hi everyone. A few of you might be aware of the fact that I've been working on Maya this summer as part of my advancement towards my major in 3D animation. This site has provided some awesome ideas for me to practice on.

So at any rate, I took the time to make an animated avatar featuring the Dark Templar. It's actually the same model used for my signature. I'm pretty happy with my Kerrigan one so the DT one is just sort of sitting around so I think I'm just going to sell it for some minerals. I have no idea how to price it so ummm... I guess 1,000 minerals might be my ballpark purely due to time spent on it.

Here's the link to a couple stills of it for those who are interested. Again, the real avatar itself is animated. Thanks!

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6374/dtsb2.jpg

*EDIT*

Okay, so since I'm sticking with my Hydra one, Kerrigan will be up for sale as well. Here is the preview link to her avatar, which is animated as well.

http://tinyurl.com/yv3dk2

Okay that's it, thanks!

2. DontHate

DontHate New Member

dude, SWEET! but damn i just spent my money for this immortal :(

how do i sell my immortal? i really want that avatar.

or i can give u my immortal i guess, if u want it :D

3. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I can't see it right now because of my internet filter at work but I bet it's awesome. Your hydralisk one is really cool too, but if you don't mind, I'd like to offer one small point of criticism.

I don't know if this is because of the limitations of the software you are using (if there are any), or if it would be too time-consuming, or if you just didn't realize it, but I think the mandibles of the hydralisk, the jaws of it that open side to side, are a little too far apart. I think that it would look more true to a hydralisk if the side-to-side opening jaw was a little lower, and not as wide apart.

A few weeks ago I checked out your profile and you've got some ill stuff in your link, I liked the color-specific cartoon characters you drew.

You peeps should check his work out, it's not only reserved to SC inspired stuff

4. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Hey thanks for the feedback, Nikzad. I think you're right about the mandibles thing for the Hydra. I did what I could based off a few jpegs found on Google and I did feel like something was slightly off after the render. And, sadly, like most cases, it's always noticed AFTER the render. So I think for now it's not too glaring enough for me to go back and re-render. But I do really appreciate your feedback for it as well as my site. Thanks a lot :)

5. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

wait...so once you render, you can't go back and edit? I don't even know what it really means or what it entails when you "render" but I have a general sense that it means you recreate in 3-d what you designed

you see it a lot on fpsbanana.com when they have renders of re-skins and re-models of guns

could you explain a little about what you do when you create something like that? like entering in a jillion coordinates for vertices of lines or something or what?

6. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Well, in any animation, even one such as an avatar, the basic steps are just modeling, texturing, and then animation. As far as dragging a gazillion vertices go... that's really only for larger scaled models and more detailed scenes. I actually made the Hydra fairly quickly. Most of the detail you see on him is not geometry but an applied texture. After that's done, you sort of just hook up the main pieces together, like mandible to head, mouth to head, and if need be, eyeballs to head, so that each can move on their own but if you move the head, it would move all of them. Kind of like the nature of a crane.

Actually, no I can definitely go back and edit. Rendering isn't actually all that labor intensive, it's just time intensive more than anything else. So what "rendering" actually is is simply taking raw animated models and objects and turning them into full fledged images that include all the appropriate detail + lighting effects. In the "raw" scene that you're working with, it would be impossible to calculate all that lighting/texture/shadows with any real precision at all. Otherwise it would kill your harddrive. So if I'm doing an animation, say, frame 1 through 400 at 30 fps, what rendering does is that it calculates and processes each individual frame and how it would look when the proper shadows/textures and what not have been applied.

So what I would have to do with this Hydra to fix his mandible a lil bit would be to go back and reposition the angles and "keyframe" them, which is to set a position in space given that certain moment in time, and then have the computer recalculate those same images about 400 times. The whole process to fix him might take around 2 hours, I'm guessing.

Oh, and btw, I actually love questions. It serves as sort of my review/pop quiz for Maya knowledge, lol. It helps for me to contextualize everything I'm doing and what I've learned so don't hesitate to ask. I'd welcome all your questions.

7. DontHate

DontHate New Member

wow, that's a lot of work, but hey, the finished product is amazing!
    I might want to try sometime, it looks cool... is there a free version of maya or any other program that does this?

8. Lt.Flob

Lt.Flob New Member

UK
    wow

how long did it took you to do that??

9. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

A few hours, Flob. Welcome to the forum, btw :)

10. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Yes, there is Red Dragoon. It's under my first post, but you might have missed it cuz it's an edit.

11. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    That is a very nicely done Kerrigan from what the screenshots show Archlimit, very impressive.

How many minerals do these custom avatars cost?

12. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Hey thanks, PancakeChef. I set 'em at around 1000 minerals purely based on the time spent on making them such. I hope that sounds fair.

13. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

I guess at this point if ppl really like them enough I might start taking some requests. Although I would have to admit that I'd have to charge considerably more for those. See, the three I have so far were just ones that I made for practice on modeling/texturing 'n what not. And my intention was just to make one for myself 'n be happy with it and somehow get rid of the other two. But if it's a requested piece, I might bump it to 2000-3000 depending on complexity. The way I figure it is based on the 170,000 minerals for 50 bucks at the shop, 3000 minerals is like... less than one dollar, lol. So I think that's probably fair enough considering it takes at least a few hours to make one. Lemme know if you agree, cuz I don't really know how to price my stuff and so far this has been a very friendly community and I don't want to make everyone feel jipped or nuffin, heh.

14. Alukard

Alukard New Member

do you do requests?

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Seriously dude, you rule....I don't have any requests....I might later lol.....You're just awesome.

16. burkid

burkid New Member

your DT avatar is pretty sweet. you should send your sig into blizzard and ask them to make the dts look like that. lol.

i might have a request later, im tired and not thinking straight right now.

17. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Haha, thanks ppl. I think at this point I might take some requests, but please refer to an earlier post of mine on page 1 regarding pricing and reasons why. I'm pricing it around 3000 minerals per request based on figures of 170,000 minerals for 50 bucks. So 3000 minerals is less than a buck and I'd be spending at least a few hours per request. I hope y'all think that's pretty fair.

18. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

dude, you rule! although i'm more into sigs than avatars, your work is just astounding!!!!!!!!!!!!211!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!21!!!!!@!!!!2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Wow... heh, thanks LightMare, that's nice of ya :)

20. burkid

burkid New Member

i like what you did with the kerri avatar!