1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Unit Damage Problem

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by DoSrsCa88, Aug 28, 2011.

Custom Unit Damage Problem

1. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I have created a custom unit which is a giant zergling to be used in my map. Everythings fine with the unit except that it only does 5 damage and I want it to do 12 damage. I checked everything and compared it with the normal zergling damage properties and things to make sure I changed the right fields. It hasn't helped. I'm 99% sure I got the unit set up right. I have 1 unit, 1 actor, 1 weapon and 1 effect.

I need help and/or assistance? I don't know what else to do.

Is this in the right section or should it be moved to Technical Support?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It"s in the right section and I think EMR is on his way to help you :)

3. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    You modified the "Combat - Damage" (or something like that) field in the effect, right? Beyond that, double-check that all of your custom data module items (the unit, weapon, and effect especially) point to each other correctly. I commonly find that I create a new weapon and because of the way things get named, it automatically links up to the old, incorrect effect.

EDIT: Sorry that was 12 hours later... I'm at college now and I was obscenely sick.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Is the field CWeaponLegacy Effect where you link the weapon to the effect? Are you suppose to do any linking from the Effect to the weapon or just from the weapon to the effect? Is the CEffect Marker Link suppose to be linked to the effect that you copied from?

I'm basically self teaching the editor to myself so I am definitely going to make some errors. I try looking up some videos on custom unit creation, some help a little but others are absolutely useless.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Sorry, I don't work with the raw data. You can turn off raw data by depressing the first button you hit when you move your mouse right from the "Data Type:" dropdown menu. The name of the data value is Effect - Effect for the weapon. You do not have to link the weapon from the effect. There's a stickied thread in the Starcraft 2 Maps, Mods, Replays. Etc. section that has a list of tutorials and such. I am not sure how out-dated they are, but the ones I used a long time ago I found were especially helpful.

6. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Do you know the title of the thread?

7. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
  8. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Oh yeah I have been to starcraft 2 mapster and some tutorials come up with the 404 error can't find this page.

I found some other tutorial sites which are pretty good like sc2galaxyeditor.com and sc2galaxytutorials.com. I also fixed up the damage on my custom unit the giant zergling and it does 12 damage now.

I didn't link the weapon to the unit. I was missing it somewhere, I turned of raw data and switched to table view and found the problem straight away. I will use the table view from now on I don't like the other view.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  9. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Yeah, I almost always leave it on table view and turn raw data off, although the raw data is arguable. Happy mapping! ^.^

10. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Can you copy your custom unit from one map to the next?

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    If it's a custom modeled unit? No. Gotta be imported each time. I believe if you're using a modified base unit (resize?) you should be able to copy those settings over.

But may require a separate import as well. What plugin are you using to import and export these models now?

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    If you want to reuse a unit from another map, or even multiple data entries from another map, you can save the other map as a Mod and then use this Mod as a dependency in your new map.

13. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

OK so I guess I have to import from the other map. My unit model was created inside the editor. I haven't yet created a unit model where I used an external program like 3DS Maya or Max.