1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaging Aura

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by bongalak, Sep 4, 2010.

Damaging Aura

1. bongalak

bongalak New Member

I'm trying to create a passive aura ability that damages all nearby ground units. Kind of like WC3's immolation spell.

I was thinking of starting with mothership's cloaking field and adjusting that into what I have in mind, but not sure how exactly to go about it. Any ideas?

2. bane336

bane336 New Member

Yea that cloaking field prolly would be best. You would have to change it to add the effect of something to add damage to it

3. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Create a behavior that deals damage, and replace the cloak behavior with your damage behavior. This might not work if the cloak is not periodically applied and only applied when a unit enters the ability range.

4. bongalak

bongalak New Member

Actually instead of using mothership's ability as the base, how about if I used science vessel's irradiate? Maybe I can change it so that it can only be used on the caster, and add a cancel button so the effect can be turned on and off at will. With my limited editor knowledge I think this might be a bit more doable for me.

Edit - I cannot figure out how to make the caster use the ability on itself like the way ghost's cloak works on the caster instantly. Instead when I use the ability it keeps asking me to select target, at which point I have to target the caster manually to get the desired effect. What tags do I have to tinker with to change this?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Double click the ability and switch from "effect-target" to "effect-instant"

6. bongalak

bongalak New Member

The ability type area is greyed out and won't let me click on it.

7. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Mess around with the checkboxes below and above it, or duplicate the ability and edit your duplicate.

8. bongalak

bongalak New Member

Ok, I managed to change it to effect instant. But it still does not cast instantly on the caster. Where do I find the targeting option/property and how do I get rid of it?

9. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    Are you able to look at the coding from other people's maps?

The "DotaAllStars" custom map (Imperial Sanctum or something like that I think) has a damaging aura effect on at least one of the heros (Hydralisk model). It damages the unit giving it off too, but I think it would be a good piece of coding/scripting to look at.

10. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Khayman, yes the ability is very possible through triggers. But it is always more efficient for abilities to be completely data-driven, without any triggers/scripts involved.

Somewhere under the Effect or the Ability, near the bottom of the data list (in alphabetical table view) there is a set of properties that define where things take place. Such as at caster or at target unit or at target point. These are what you are looking for, I think.

11. bongalak

bongalak New Member

I actually found an easier way. I just took the ghost's cloaking ability and replaced the effect with irradiate and voiala! Worked like a charm ^^

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Except you damage yourself, right?

13. bongalak

bongalak New Member

There was that at first, but I tweaked the damage filter and the problem was resolved.

14. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Ok, good job. :D!

15. gavinol

gavinol Guest

Create a behavior that deals damage, and replace the cloak behavior with your damage behavior..check is it proepr work??