1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo 3 new class MONK

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by freedom23, Aug 21, 2009.

Diablo 3 new class MONK

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by freedom23, Aug 21, 2009.

1. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I wonder if this guy is chinese or mongolian base on his appearance. I believe they revamped hellfires' monk to fit in D3 and added all the flashy stuff to him. What I'm trying to think is if the monk will be able to equip heavy armor types or will there be restrictions this time for certain classes with equipments and weapons.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

He looks middle eastern to me.

Btw, no restrictions on equipment will be made at all for any character. Source: Diii.net
    (too lazy to look, but I'm a member on the forum, and frequent news checker)

Like D2, the armor he will equip will fit his style despite how it looks in the inventory.

EDIT: Just watched all the Monk Videos, all i have to say is, WOW! :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Cress alvein - I was assuming that but somehow I think that it should be one aspect that they should discuss because it would make things much more interesting and complicated, though it's still good if they will be maintaining equipment restrictions the same as D2

He could be mediterraenean but somehow I can't figure out who spreaded chinese lore over there. (maybe a chinese muslim hehe)

4. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    He looks very powerful when used properly, but also very boring to play.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Rojo. You kidding? Firstly, we've seen five skills. Secondly, this guy's definitely got the deepest skill system so far. Basically, it's like the Assassin of old, but instead of charging to a different attack, each, or at least most, ability has three different 'stages', or charges. The thing is, when you hit something with a first level charge, while you'd expect that ability to move up to the second charge, all abilities move to the second charge. That opens up an absolute tonne of combinations, and combined with passive skills and runes, that's just huge.

As for his race, I originally thought he was just white. Thinking about it, he does look a little Middle Eastern, but if I had to take a punt I'd just say white. Gotta keep in mind that our world's locations don't carry over to the world of Diablo. Any resemblances are, really, coincidental. There'll obviously be specific traits that are shared, related to the environment they've lived in for so long, such as the Witch Doc being dark skinned, but other than that, it's not like they've got to fill all the racial stereotypes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  6. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    i was disappointed. i wanted somethin a little fiercer than a -monk-. I know, he looks cool and all but eh. i'm just really not interested in that class. Like, two disappointments in a row, a wizard and a monk : ( The witch doctor is okay, to me, and i'm not keen on the barb, either.

Maybe I'm just being picky but i liked the old classes,
    -the necromancer, ballin. He could summon his own army of the undead creatures he just killed and raise skeletons from their bloody corpses. Not to mention he could make them explode
    -Sorceress, generic but powerful magic caster, fun for anyone who wants to kill in the various spectrum. No wizard can replace a sorcerer/sorceress
    -The druid, he shapeshifter, he has some arcane magic. Kickass, i can be a firestorm summoning werewolf with my own pack.

i mean, they were so awesome 3: i will miss them. no monk, no matter how epic, will ever replace them.

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Itza, you're right, but they will fill all the racial stereotypes. You saying it's coincidental is like saying that films having black, asian, male, female, spectacled, intelligent, strong, etc. characters in a team is purely conincidental, when it's not. It's to steer clear of racism and also to create the feeling of even-you-could-be-there, which of course doesn't apply to Diablo but that's beside the point :p

I like the monk better than the wizard. Wizard is something from a childrens' book, while monks do exist in real life (I know, it's Diablo... but still :D). Despite their obscure practices and life habits, it's easy to associate with them, and I'm fairly sure it'll be one of the most popular characters if it makes it to the final version.

8. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I like the monk, from the classess so far either him or wizard will be my first pick

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Hmmm...

Maybe I'll like him in time. This combo system sounds pretty insane, but the Monk is still kinda 'meh' for me.

I liked the Witch Doctor and, obviously, the Barbarian right off the bat. Wizard took some getting used to.

Hey. It'll probably just come in time.

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Kurai I agree with you, but do they have to replace them?

11. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Personally i liked the look of the monk, he's more of a 'melee mage' compared to the other classes i don't care if they replace any classes as long they have a lot depth in their gameplay and their lore because this is Diablo 3, not Diablo 2. With the different 'stages' of the monk makes things even more interesting and have a lot more variety instead of just clicking seperate spells/skills randomly and using them strongly enough to kill a bunch of monsters. With the monk you can actually just think carefully of what you're doing and actually experiment of what you can do with him/her and think of tactics to defeat monsters.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Kurai. The Necromancer was a poorer Witch Doc. I'm not really ever the one for talking about which class is replacing which, 'cause y'know, what's wrong with simply having a different class, but especially in regards to what you just mentioned, the Necro's got nothing on the Witch Doc. The Witch Doc can summon his own army of the dead, and not only make corpses explode, but he can make his own army explode.

With the Wizard, I honestly can't see the Sorceress holding a candle to the Wizard. Like, at all.

The Druid, yes, it's very different. I did love the Druid, specifically the Were-'woof', but I don't see how that, or any of the other classes, impacts on the Monk, at all. I'm honestly shocked that so many people are disappointed with the Monk. I mean, if you're disappointed when they reveal a new class, complete with its new design, role, some skills and its skill system, if you're disappointed after all that, you're just looking to be disappointed.

@ Kuvasz. You're right, though I was just trying to say that, for example, the Witch Doc isn't African, or the Wizard isn't Chinese. They're definite looks, yes, but that really comes from Sanctuary's own environment, just as our races come from our own environment. It's inevitable. Again, for example, the Witch Doc. There's a reason why their tribal jungle dwellers are similar to our tribal jungle dwellers. It's because they're both from the exact same environments, just as their over achieving academias are similar to our over achieving academias. It's because they've both got Asian parents.

The awesome thing about the Monk is that with two combo skills, which you'd be able to get by your second level, there are eight combinations of moves. By the time you've got another, there are twenty seven combinations. I think the main problem with people being disappointed is that they don't understand how the Monk works, or they were simply expecting an unreasonable amount. I mean, we were expecting a new class to be revealed, and that's what we got. It was never going to be of such grandeur that it belittled the other three classes, nor was is supposed to. I mean, if the ninjaesque character isn't for you, then fair enough, but that doesn't make it a disappointment.

13. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Man this class sucks so bad.

NOT

OMG this is going to be no questions asked my 1st character in D3. I was jawdropped to see the combo concept taken to the next level. I think It's a very original twist to a known rpg character.
    And well, the other classes are certainly not bad, but most of them not too original. I mean, the barb is still the barb, only better, which is good but more of the same.. the witch doctor is an improved necromancer, which again, is good but feels ''dejavuish'' imo, and the wizard... well, its a revamped sorceress with a different skin. Nothing wrong with that, but I get this feeling I know this characters already.
    The monk on the other hand, is unlike anything I've ever played. Everything about It seems so new and never before seen. I mean, sure, we had combos before with the Assassin, but they worked very differently. Here, you have to use them wisely and combine them.. and time them in such a way where probably every fight will be fought slightly differently.
    Plus he looks awesome and you just gotta love skills like exploding palm

14. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    1. Sorceress is the elemental mage, of course she's the one holding candle.

2. I was kinda dissapointed monk is different from the Hellfire one, but I think it wouldn't work in D3 anyway.

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Elemental is purely an art style. Regardless of what the spells look like, the Wizard is capable of so much more than the Sorceress.

In fact, looking at the Sorceress' skills, it looks like the only things the Sorceress can do that the Wizard can't is throw a cold missile, though the Wizard does have Ray of Frost, Firewall, though she does have Acid Cloud, and Blaze and Thunder Storm, which don't surmount to much. Combined with all the better stuff the Wizard can do, such as Spectral Blade, Slow Time, Wave of Force and Tornado, what actually makes the Sorc better?

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

If anyone here is familiar of playing and D&D type of games i.e. Baldurs Gate, Icewindale, Neverwinter Nights, you will definitely be aware of the fact that Wizards possess more potential power above the Sorceror/ess. A distinct feat that they differ upon is the way that they learn their spells. Generally sorcerors are gifted with inborn magical powers whereas the wizards are more of scholastic magicians that studies under various fields of magic to gain vast amounts of knowledge. A good example would be harry potter as a wizard, and Storm (X-men) being a sorceress. So technically a wizard can and possibly outclass the sorcerer given that he studied and mastered magic that far surpasses the capabilities of the sorc. Elemental mage doesn't totally define a sorc, its just a matter of specialty.
    Though these doesn't apply diablo, some of us D&D players just can't seem to disintegrate the spell similarities of D3 and D&D wizard i.e. magic missile, stone skin, acid cloud.... their just too iconic for a d&d wizard ^_^

Im surprised that some of us aren't amazed of how unique the monk is among all the revealed classes.. maybe it's just the way they presented it, I mean, somehow they didn't get the crowd much into it and their voices seems to be so much in stress already... ehem, anyway I like its gameplay and it will probably be one class to be chosen often.
    Also, Im quite interested to see how do weapons actually affect the monks gameplay. (in the demo he only used it with the crippling strike skill - most of the skills shown were fist strikes)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  17. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I didn't say she's better