1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it even feel like a new game?

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by Chaotic.Enigma, Jul 21, 2010.

Does it even feel like a new game?

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by Chaotic.Enigma, Jul 21, 2010.

1. From what I've read it doesn't even feel like a new game is this true for all the people who got into the Beta? I pre-ordered the game but am thinking wow if I'm paying 60 dollars for a graphical update and 3 or 4 new units on each side...what's the point. Can somebody please tell me otherwise haha

2. Mako

Mako New Member

Its definitely a different game, the gameplay is much faster paced. With all the different units its completely unlike BW. At first it seems like brood war but then you realize how very different it is... I can't explain its greatness much further...

3. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Wut Mako said ^^

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

It's not. The people you read prolly didn't even play the game themselves.

Yes, it's an RTS where you control large armies and need both micro and macro skills. Yes, you'll fight with three different races. Other than that, no.

Sure, some of the units are the same. But they're not just showing up with a facelift. They've gotten new abilities, new upgrades, and are used in different ways. Take your standard Zealot for example. He's gotten a new ability called Charge, in which he dashes to an enemy unit and begins his psionic ginsu. Sounds simple, but it's a complete game changer, as it destroys the advantage of range. Then the new units. New upgrades. New abilities. New mechanics.

It's a new game.

5. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    That was also a major problem, people would complain about it not having some things like in brood war. People wouldn't accept it was a different game.

6. Alright good, I don't really know if I like the whole thing about it feeling more fast paced. I kind of liked before how you could just think about your strategy and not always have to be racing around with thoughts.

7. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    There are enough similarities to make it feel familiar. It carries that same space based rts feeling from old starcraft, and the tech trees are not completely alien: barracks .. marines .. zerglings .. hatchery .. supply depot .. overlord ... you know what these are, and you know more or less what they do. A lot of stuff is very familiar.

But there are enough differences to make it feel new. The logic/strategy/dynamics of the game is all different.

It's like when a popular tv programme gets remade in a foreign country. The programme has much the same characters, but all played by new actors. Their acting is all different. The character dynamics is all different. It feels like that to me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  8. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Those people are just idiots who want radical change to the game.
    But look what radical change did to the Command and Conquer... CnC4 is just plain terrible.

Besides a sequel should be an IMPROVED game, not a changed game.
    I feel that SC2 has been IMPROVED, not radically changed for the worse.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  9. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

Well, Starcraft II is a sequel to Starcraft I, and ot a whole new game idea.
    It is obvious that many, many things are quite similar.

Just compare Need for Spped 3 with the most recent version of its series.

10. the8thark

the8thark New Member

It's not an new game entirely. It's just a sequel game. But this sequel has enough similar aspects and different aspects to the original so players still feel the old SC vibe but not in a whole different much faster paced way. And this is the ideal balance. Not a clone of the first game but not so different either that people go WTF is this still SC?

11. Worm Shoes

Worm Shoes New Member

In reality...do you want a totally new game from the original any way?

StarCraft was and still is so damn good you dont want Blizzard to change it too much.

waited 10years for this graphical update and im happy lol ;)

12. Amduscias

Amduscias New Member

Cologne, Germany
    When i got into beta first i was slightly disappointed. At first, it simply fell like SC 1 with new graphics. After a few hours, it fell like SC1 with new graphics and few new units. But the more you get into it, the more it feels differently from SC1.

Looking back, i must say i liked the developement in feeling i had. So, when you're coming from SC1 to SC2 you feel incredibly familiar with everything. Then you begin to start getting into the new content (after the first "ohh"'s and "ahh"'s for the graphics) and soon you see, its completly different. If both games were made with the same graphics you could easily see the difference (which is the whole gameplay rather than only graphics!)....

An absolute "MUST HAVE" for every gamer!

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I must admit I am very impressed with how Blizz pulled this off. Everytime I see a game I get the starcraft feeling when just starting, and slowly see more and more new stuff.

have a cookie blizzard

14. Taerix

Taerix New Member

From what I've noticed while playing, it feels a lot different than the original. The races are so much different that no Brood War strats can be imported or anything like that. Even though there are a lot of returning units, they are revamped and the AI alone is so much better is not comparable IMO.

15. asdf

asdf New Member

let's face it, if you wanted a different RTS, there's tons of options out there. starcraft II is only one game, and a sequel at that. Warcraft has slightly different RTS mechanics, and it's from the same company. there's also dawn of war and supreme commander, which still lie in the "RTS" genre and are quite different.

it seems like people who "want something different" just haven't played enough RTS games. This is probably coming from people who have played a lot of FPS games, from counter-strike all the way to Modern Warfare 2. they'll tell you that the difference is night and day, without even touching on the 10-year time gap and the fact that one was a Half-life mod by amateurs and the other is a multi-million-dollar-budget blockbuster. someone who doesn't play FPS will say you walk around and shoot each other with "realistic" guns, yay. oh, i guess you can lean left and right, and lay down flat in MW2. that's a lot of progress in 10 years, huh? why don't don't more FPS games actually innovate, like Team Fortress 2? (note that many FPS players do say this, but still...)

so it's mostly that RTS isn't on some uber-popular streak right now like the "realistic" brown FPS games have been for the past few years. all the people who play these games (and WoW) and haven't kept up with the news on RTS games (let's be frank... there really hasn't been any) just think that RTSes all look the same (omg you just collect money and then build an army and kill stuff). THEN you have to narrow the genre down to starcraft and starcraft 2 (OMG, not only do you just collect money and build an army and kill stuff, there's 3 races and you need really good micro! they're the same!).

tl,dr: SC2 is like SC1 the way Team Fortress 2 is like Team Fortress Classic. you have to keep its defining characteristics. most people claiming SC2 = shiny SC1 probably couldn't tell the difference between SC and C&C, but could write an entire page on how different Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 are.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  16. Shellshock

Shellshock New Member

In multiplayer the speed of games is set to normal right?
    Because i know in sc1 was on maxim.

17. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Nope, SC2 is set to fastest.
    It's normal only in practice league.

18. asdf

asdf New Member

i'm pretty sure game speed is set to "faster" for ladder games. at least, that's the standard replay speed everyone seems to commentate on.

19. Pirminia

Pirminia New Member

Minot AFB, ND
    I don't see how you can play zerg and still think its the same game.. The way you can use Queens now just totally revamps gameplay. Everything from expanding creep to popping out twice as many larvae.. Plus the other races have totally new things too.

Plus you're paying for the awesome cinematics the the next chapter in an awesome storyline. Yeah, I'll shell out the $60, because I know they've put the effort in to make this the most balanced, smooth, and shiny RTS on the market.