1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Zerg Vs. Zealot & Voidrays

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by AmagicalFishy, Nov 6, 2010.

Help: Zerg Vs. Zealot & Voidrays

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by AmagicalFishy, Nov 6, 2010.

1. AmagicalFishy

AmagicalFishy New Member

Hey, guys. I could use some help here—I haven't encountered this strategy much, but I'm at a loss as to how to combat it. Mass Zealots and mass Voidrays. Could you give me some tips, strategy wise? I'm thinking that massing mutalisks would have been a much better choice.

(Please, don't say things like, "Spend your money more efficiently." That's something I'm always trying to do, and doesn't really help things much. :p)

Attached Files:

2. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    mass mutalisks should work cause the zealots cant attack air so the mutalisks would have no trouble beating the few voidrays.....

mutalisks do counter voidrays in moderate numbers but when the protoss gets too many voidrays then even hydralisks will get ownd..... so just make sure that he wont get too many voidrays...

hydralisks are the best counter vs voidrays as zerg but zealots with charge do counter hydralisks if they can get a good surround

so in that case a mix of zealots and voidrays should be countered by hydralisks and mutalisks

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    I did not see the replay, but I'll give you pointers anyways (kinda surprised to see you as mid plat).
    Zealots <<< Roaches and Hydras. Void Rays < Muta (and hydra too). Thus roach + hydra + muta.

A word of caution: depending on how committed your opponent is on this strategy, you should adjust your level of commitment as well. In my mind, his strat is very easy to change, easier than if you went roach/hydra/muta.

The reason i included roach is for tanking. You don't want mass zealots to charge up to hydras, even if your DPS is amazing.

4. AmagicalFishy

AmagicalFishy New Member

Thanks for the tips, but I think it'd be best if you guys watched the replay (that way I could get specifics, and better incorporate them into my playing—I'm aware of the general strategies / counters).

I guess my original post was pretty vague, and was more a general-strategy request; that's my mistake.

5. Scarecro

Scarecro New Member

If I were to face this strategy, I would go a classic Z,R,H ball.
    Also known as a Zergling, Roach, Hydralisk ball.

If you do use this, make sure that you have mostly Hydras to kill the Voids and the Zealots from a far distance.
    The Lings and Roaches are use to hold back the zealots while the Hydras kill them.

Upgrading your units will dramatically increase your armies ability so hold back those zealots and finish the voids before they can fully charge their lazers. Thats whats going to peel through your ranks.

Using the upgraded range of the Hydras can let you keep your units out of their range.

Finally, if you tell your hydras to attack the voids and let your roaches and lings finish the zealots, you will be able to kill off their army with the least amount of casualties...

6. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Don't forget to include infestors to neural parasite large numbers of immortal or colusi

Also good to fungal growth so you can flank with lings.

7. toni

toni New Member

get some spine crawlers blocking the entrance of your base for the zealots, and hydras shoot them down from behind and hydras counter the voids, also have a couple of queens lying around for some support against air, i seriously dont recomend mutas, they are soooo expensieve and they are really weak, they are only good for harrasing mineral lines that do not have turrets, spores, cannons

hopefully it helps

8. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    I saw "mass zealot" in the OP but I have not seen "baneling" mentioned anywhere. I am disturbed.

9. ikkabotZ

ikkabotZ New Member

I end up facepalming early stargate play. It's tricky to handle and I never feel any strong sense of a response that gears me up for stages after that. Namely I build too many queens and start to turtle too much. I don't know, I need some serious help with a strategy against this sort of thing. Granted, I can get a few extra queens, but the biggest thing is I feel any aggression I have is lost and taking a third is hard.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  10. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    Whenever i face a protoss i rush for Ling/Hydralisks cause it owns any gatewayunitcomposition xD
    just remember to transision to other units when they get colossie or templars ^^
    i like ultralisks fo the lategame as it counters colossie and templars

but generally i rush for Hydras and skip the roaches so i'll have no trouble against Voidrays

11. Vulcan

Vulcan New Member

Tasmania
    The best thing to do is to constantly scout with overlords, slings darting around, overseer changlings etc to see what he's got. Just poke around and see what comes out in numbers basically.
    If you get that information and have good map vision, you can be ready when he moves out. I like many others can forget to scout at times and get caught up in the zerg macro game.

12. ikkabotZ

ikkabotZ New Member

I agree. Basically anytime I feel that I am playing like crap I check out my scouting...most the time it's to blame. My biggest fault against real early stargate play (we're talking one base play with a single stargate moving some VR's) is overreacting and undercutting drone production way too much. Lately I just get a couple extra queens and I'm in much better shape. There's two problems I'd say to a good 3 out of 4 times I lose. I undercut my drone production and scout like garbagismo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  13. sc2scoorge

sc2scoorge New Member

I agree with what people said about mass mutalisks, but if you want to go with an less resource intense way Hydra and Roachs works great. Hydra owns VR, and Roach owns Zealot :D unless they are speed up but still just mass Roachs and Hydra you should be fine

14. Garrudae

Garrudae New Member

Help Zerg Vs Zealot Voidrays

So i bought lost planet2 last christmas and made a random live account to play it. now i want to play it again but i have no idea what the old account name or password was, so i cant do anything online. Is there any way that I can find out what it was through windows live or something?

15. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    here is your answer:

if he rushed void rays early... get more queens out to fend them off to buy you time to tech to hydras + roaches
    He may try to transition to stalkers, then you simply get more zerglings.

If you think you have bought yourself enough time, because you hit his economy a little bit or you managed to kill all his first void rays, you can tech up to mutalisk. You can then have air dominance and harass him till he starves or you build up a stronger army.

if it is late game that we are talking about, Z R H ball with infestors, fungal growth his army while you surround his army.

good luck

16. lunatyck

lunatyck New Member

huh? :err: