1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i make an unchanneled nuke?

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by MatTaNg, Aug 12, 2012.

How do i make an unchanneled nuke?

1. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

Hi, i'm trying to get a ghost to use a nuke, without the research and i want him to beable to move while doing it. Basically i want to make the Tactical nuke much like a regular spell like snipe or force field. But i still want the delay before the nuke drops. So after you use the nuke, you can move around cast other spells and after 5 seconds or so it will drop.

As a summary i need the nuke to:
    - Be channeled (Unit can move after casting it.)
    - Take out the requirement to build the nuke at the ghost academy before launching it.
    - I want the nuke to have only one charge. (useable only once)

I'm not very good with the unit editor so i need help with this. I deleted the requirement for the nuke and got an error saying "No calldown location" i have no idea what that means.
    Thanks a lot for your help!

2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    If the ghost gets killed, do you still want the nuke to land?

3. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

Never, thought of that. I'm gonna say no.

4. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    That... is gonna make it really difficult. You're combining a channeled effect with a cast effect. Perhaps if a requirement can be added to the detonation effect that checks if the ghost is still alive, then treat the initial cast as a cast effect...

5. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

then yes, i want the nuke to land even if the ghost dies. It won't have much of an impact either way.

6. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I am working on it right now, but if you want to try fiddling with it yourself, have a look at the Effects relevant to the nuke in the data editor. What causes the delay for the ghost is the Persistent effect with a period count of 50 and a period of .2.

EDIT: I found a really simple way to do part of this. Go to the Effect called Ghost - Nuke (Persistent). Edit the Effect: Flags + data entry. Uncheck the "Channeled" checkbox. I'm still working on making it not require a nuke, and only work once.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  7. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

ok, i appreciate the effort

8. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Alright, I now have a ghost that launches a nuke from itself to a target location that can walk around and do stuff while the nuke takes the full regular time to land. The nuke can only be launched once and cannot be rebuilt.

However, one problem: How many units were you planning on having this ability? Currently, if you have two ghosts, each ghost gets a nuke charge, but either ghost can fire both nukes. You will still only be able to launch a total of 1 nuke per ghost, but the charges are usable by any other ghost.

9. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

I want 8 ghosts to have this ability

10. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    So you want each ghost to only be able to shoot their own nuke, right?

11. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

Yeah, one nuke for each ghost

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Are they all owned by the same player, or different players?

13. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

Different players

14. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Ok, good. So long as no single player controls multiple ghosts, it won't be a problem. It's moderately complicated, let me type up all that I did...

15. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    If you want to use the Ghost Academy building in your map, make sure to remove the "Arm Magazine (Nuke)" ability from it's Ability + and Command Card + data entries.

1: Modify the "Ghost Academy - Arm Magazine (Nuke)" Ability's "Ability: Info +" data entry. You want the "Info - Time" and "Info - Count Start" to both equal 1 (they are located toward the bottom). This will make the nuke available from the start.

2: Modify the "Ghost - Nuke (Persistent)" Effect's "Effect: Flags +" data entry. You want the "Channeled" checkbox to be unchecked, just like the rest. This will free up the ghost to walk around and shoot while the nuke is falling.

3: Modify the "Train Nuke" Requirement's "Basic: Requirement +" data entry. Right-click the "And" and select "Add Requirement Node." The Type of this node should be "Count Unit," the Alias should be "Weapon - Nuke," and the State should be "Queued or Better at Unit." This will make it so that a nuke cannot be built because in order to build a nuke, it requires that there be a nuke already present as well as there not be a nuke present, which is contradictory and thus impossible.

4: Modify the "Ghost" Unit's "Ability: Abilities +" data entry. Press the green +X symbol and select "Ghost Academy - Arm Magazine (Nuke)" from the dropdown list. This will make the nuke magazine available to the ghost.

5: Modify the "Ghost" Unit's "Ability: Command Card +" data entry. Click on the nuke symbol, then press the green +X symbol and select Command Type: "Ability Command," Ability: "Ghost Academy - Arm Magazine (Nuke)," Ability Command: "Attack." This will complete the ghost's ability to contain and launch a single nuke from himself.

If you have any problems, good luck, because I won't have internet for a few days after tonight. Happy mapping!

16. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

it worked! You sir are a genius, it looks so cool.

I hope you check out my game(Morphling Wars) its already been released and is actually getting pretty popular. its only been like 2 weeks and I already have 17 5 star reviews and pro-players like qxc, axslav, trimaster and others(who slip my mind atm) love it.

And of course, thanks for your help.

17. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    If you wanna toss the name "EatMeReturns" somewhere extremely obscure in it, that would be sweet, and I'm pretty much always available for map-making questions. I'll check out your map once I get all moved back in to my dorm in a couple days.

18. MatTaNg

MatTaNg New Member

Of course I gave you credit! I wouldn't take credit for something i didnt do. If you wanna play the game with me my user/ID is MatTaNg/722