1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Prevent Getting Hacked

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by Aurora, May 7, 2009.

How To Prevent Getting Hacked

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by Aurora, May 7, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    We have all expirienced it. Getting an annoying hacker in a fun game of Starcraft Brood War.

There is a way to prevent this from happening, as well as finding out who it was if you discover it happening during a game. The tool for this is called the Starcraft Broodwar Hacker Finder, or BWHF.

Why you should use this:
    Prevent getting hacked in the first place, or seek out the hacker aterwards by scanning the replay. You can then add the person who did it to the ever growing list of known hackers.
    You can use this without the risk of getting banned yourself. The program alters no game files and runs in the background. This means that it is allowed to be used according to Blizzard rules.

BWHF Main Page
    Direct Link: Download Latest Windows Version.
    Direct Link: Download Linux Version

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Why would you use hacks in the first place..?

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    People use them to win more easily and get their win/loss ratio more to the good side. For them, that is.

4. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    True true

though hacking is difficult right?

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    -_-'

You download the hack.
    You install it.
    You press go.
    You eat pie while easily winning somehow.

Or at least that is what I understand from it. I have no idea what it does precicely, since I am not interested in using hacks. I do know that it messes with my matches and makes people win in an unfair way.

6. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    That is true.
    Well, it does seem like a good idea. Whenever you aren't using hacks, you hate hackers. :p

7. Dakota_Fanning

Dakota_Fanning New Member

Hi Everyone!

I am the creator of BWHF Agent. Just letting everyone know that there's a newer version out, maybe an admin can edit the original post to point to the newest version download.

BWHF Agent 2.30: now a complete replay organizer

It was about 3 weeks ago when BWHF Agent 2.20 was released. The BWHF hacker database contained about a thousand hackers.
    In the past 3 weeks the number of reported hackers has doubled, now the database counts more than 2200 of them.
    For developers: a 50-page developer documentation has been written and published by me in English about Starcraft hacking recognition and how it works in BWHF Agent (closing with version 2.21). I upload it to the BWHF home page this week and will be available for download.

Screenshots:
    http://code.google.com/p/bwhf/wiki/Screenshots

With the following changes BWHF Agent became a complete replay organizer.

Changes in version 2.30 since 2.20:

-Added new icons to tabs and buttons (user interface is much more friendly this way).

-New Previous replay and Next replay buttons on the charts tab to navigate easily between the replays of the replay search tab. If there are more than 1 replays selected, the buttons will iterate through the selected replays. If there are no selected replays, these buttons will iterate through all replays of the result table.

-New setting on the player checker tab: Say "clean" if no hackers found. This way you can be sure a player check was performed but no hackers found in the game lobby.

-A new "Column setup..." button on the replay search tab to customize replay columns order.

-Clicking on the column headers in the replay search tab will sort the table. Clicking again on the same column will reverse the order.

-New setting on the charts tab: Display actions in seconds.

-Removed the replay handler buttons from the search tab, and added a context menu (right click popup menu) to the result table. You can find here all operations that were available through the buttons. This gives more space to the result table.

-New setting on the general settings tab: Replay list to load on startup. Note that if you select a big list with thousands of replays, it might significantly slow down the startup of BWHF Agent.

-Hide search filters state is now saved and remembered on next startup.

-New replay operation: Edit comment. Comments can be added to replays in the result list. The comments are saved in the replay list files.

-New replay operation: Rename replay.

-New replay operation: Group rename replays. Group rename operates on a template. This template can contain any text and special symbols. Special symbols will be substituted with proper text when renaming specific replays. Valid symbols are: /n - the name of the original replay; /e - the extension of the original replay (usually 'rep'); /c - a counter which starts from 1 and will be incremented by 1 at each use. With this you can easily rename many replays. Let's say you have 20 tournament replays. You can select those replays and click on group rename. Give a template of "Tourney reps /c./e". This will rename all those reps to "Tourney reps 1.rep", "Tourney reps 2.rep" etc. You can preview the new names before proceeding to rename.

-New replay operation: Open replay's folder in explorer.

-Modified the build anywhere hack detection to recognize more cases.

-Some minor bugfixes.

Note that if you make changes on the result list such as edit/add a comment, sort the table or rename replays, you have to save the list to keep the changes.

BWHF Agent home page:
    http://code.google.com/p/bwhf/

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Thanks for posting the update. Links fixed. They now lead to the latest version again.

9. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

This is still a third party program doesn't that fact alone violate the ToS?

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    No, since it modifies no files installed by the game. It is just a program running in the background. More info can be found behind the link. I can assure you this causes no trouble. Also: the admin say thank you and stickied it. Trustworthy enough? -wink-

11. Dakota_Fanning

The developer documentation has been uploaded to the site, available under the download tab.
    It is a 50-page developer documentation of BWHF Agent in English in PDF format.

Direct link to download:
    Starcraft Hacking Recognition.pdf

12. marcmad

marcmad New Member

I love to watch replay to see how i can be better.

Think think is only to detect hacker or it give more detailled replay and a better organisation of them?

13. Dakota_Fanning

Detecting hacks is just one of the many features of BWHF Agent.

14. Dakota_Fanning

New version is out, an admin please edit the original post to point to the latest version.

BWHF Agent 2.40 released with Players' Network integrated.

The Players' Network can be viewed here:
    http://94.199.240.39/hackerdb/players

Anyone can add any game to the Players' Network with BWHF Agent 2.40, no key required.
    Reporting hackers still requires a key.
    For a good start, I added all my saved replays (11k).

Changes since version 2.30:
    -A new Players' Network tab where you can add any old replays (or folder of replays recursively) to the Players' Network. You can enable/disable autosending info about 'LastReplay.rep'. Sending twice exactly the same replay will only appear in the database once.
    -New operation in the replay search tab's context menu: "Send to Players' Network".
    -New setting on the autoscan tab: 'Use short names for autosaved replays'.
    -Fixed a bug which prevented game chat extraction from games containing computer players.
    -Fixed some rendering bugs wich occured on Windows Vista.
    -Some other minor fixes.

Summary of what you can do with the Players' Network:
    -you can list all games
    -you can list all players (you can filter by name)
    -you can list all AKA groups (you can filter by name)
    -you can view the details of a game (with detailed info of its players)
    -you can view the details and statistics of a player (player profile)
    -you can list the games of a player (with or without his/her AKAs included)
    -you can list the common games of 2 players (with or without their AKAs included)
    -you can list players who played with a specific player (with or without his/her AKAs included)

Player details include for example:
    -Total games played
    -Total time in games
    -Race distribution
    -Presence (time between first and last game)
    -Average games per day

Help page about the Players' Network:
    http://code.google.com/p/bwhf/wiki/PlayersNetwork

BWHF Agent home page:

15. Yamato_Cannon

Yamato_Cannon New Member

Virginia, United States
    I'm a starcraft hacker and I don't see how this program could be useful to helping the average starcraft gamer. Sure, this could be used to prove that well known players are hacking, but this won't help at all with typical hackers for the following reasons:
    1) Blizzard has strengthened their warden, which means that hackers' accounts can be banned the same day they're made. The data gathered on the hacker becomes useless once the hacker is banned and has created a new account.

2) Almost every hacker has something that allows them to "spoof" to another name, so that they take on the username of a different player. This is the main reason something like this WILL NOT WORK. In fact, this might ruin legit players and their reputation if the hacker spoofs to a name long enough and enough people report them.

All in all, I respect this as a technical achievement, but in practicality, it's useless. A program that simply uses the "/whois" command on everyone in the lobby would be much more effective and surely take less development time.

Edit: I downloaded the program, and although the in-game hacker discovery isn't viable, the replay processing looks quite promising. As such, if you want more players to use it to discover hackers from replays, you should try to program in as many hack-finding algorithms as possible.

For example, these are the exact commands for the sub-unit crash hack that I've copied from your replay analyzer. Although this might not be enough proof, as I suppose it's possible for someone to build a scarab using normal methods at the exact time of a drop, the program should mark this as an extremely suspicious action.
    Code:
      1280 drayen                    Build Interceptor/Scarab 
      1280 Heneva                    Leave Game        Dropped

The next block is also from your replay analyzer, and shows a player dropping someone else. As this is clearly an online match, anything related to cheat actions at all should be instantly marked for hacking, as there is simply no way a player could send a cheat command in an online match.

Code:
      1460 drayen                    <not parsed>      2536,2514
      1495 jp2189                    Leave Game        Quit
      1505 drayen                    Attack Move       2571,2476
      1535 SarcraF                   Move              2216,2026
      1565 drayen                    Use Cheat         01 00 00 00
      1585 drayen                    Use Cheat         01 00 00 00
      1605 SarcraF                   Leave Game        Dropped

Lastly, you can catch people automining with this:
    Code:
         5 BlackRecon                Select            3480
         5 BlackRecon                Move              2176,240
         5 BlackRecon                Select            3481
         5 BlackRecon                Move              2176,208
         5 BlackRecon                Select            3482
         5 BlackRecon                Move              2144,176
         5 BlackRecon                Select            3483
         5 BlackRecon                Move              2240,144
         5 JustPlay                  Select            3512
         5 JustPlay                  Gather            0,0
         5 JustPlay                  Select            
         5 JustPlay                  Select            3511
         5 JustPlay                  Select            3510
         5 JustPlay                  Select            3509

There's absolutely no way someone could send that many commands just as the game starts.
    Hope this helps you out!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    I use chaoslauncher sorry. Does so much more.

17. marcmad

marcmad New Member

what i hate more than big hacker who made other crash is the little hacker we don't know he hack.

a guy we think he micro well and his good are a hacker. brrrrrr i hate that idea.

well i'll instal that to see my replay better :)

*psssit* as i'm really bad to understand how it work and where we go to download can i have a link to it?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  18. Dakota_Fanning

This is the BWHF home page, you can download there:

19. alex1

alex1 New Member

As Yamato_Canon just said, most hackers spoof names so I really doubt the efficiency of a hacker database. Furthermore, what would prevent a hacker from recreating another account?

I'd recommend players to use Wdetector.
    When someone hacks (autogather, automine, multicommand or anything else) it just notifies you while you are playing within the first 2 minutes of gaming. So no need to scan or watch replay as with other anti-hacks.
    Then u can decide to leave or continue playing.

If somebody spoofed your account and got reported on the bwhf database, you would be taking all the blame. Think of it, it's not pleasant at all.

Im using Wdetector and am very happy with it.