1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet Overhaul

Discussion in 'Forum Shop and Battle.Arcade' started by kuvasz, Mar 7, 2009.

?

What's your opinion on the topic?

1. Go ahead as is.

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Go ahead, but maybe...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Do not go ahead.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care about pets.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%

Pet Overhaul

Discussion in 'Forum Shop and Battle.Arcade' started by kuvasz, Mar 7, 2009.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Hokay so going by LK's suggestion to bring up the topic publicly, I'm creating this thread to formally propose a complete revamp of the pet icons in the shop, seeing as how most of them are more than one year old and obsolete. I'm not asking for any help except for feedback based on the samples I'm posting below.

[​IMG]
    Some have dark grey pixels in the corners of the frame, obviously those wouldn't be there... these are just quickly composed samples.

For easy reference, here is a sketch of what they'd look like in the forum:
    [​IMG]

Now I really don't feel like going about this like Eon did with the public voting of alternatives in light of the amount of work it'd be to create 3 versions of all ~45 pets, plus the amount of clutter the voting would cause in the board. Instead, my idea was to give guides as to what the pets would have in common and roughly what to expect based on these and the samples above, and have you try and decide.
    All pets would:
    • be created from the latest model render
    • face towards the left to create unity and diversity from other sites' solutions and widespread images
    • show the majority of the model with parts cut off to focus on distinct features to aid recognition
    • take up most of the area enclosed by the frame to make use of the limited space for easier recognition
    • have similar saturation and colour scheme properties for unity
    as well as feasible suggestions posted and later added to this post.

----

Current pets:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    This would be an awesome update and the icons looks very good :>

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Brilliant. I think you should go ahead with it as soon as humanly possible.

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    So the alternate frames will still be yellow, right?

I voted "go ahead, but maybe..." Perhaps you could show what it looked like if the models faced the right instead of the left, since most of the current pet models face the right anyway.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Instead of Kuvasz having to do that Kaaraa, just PRT SCR, open up paint, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+R, Enter.

6. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I actually think it looks very nice with grey frames since it actually does look like a 2nd edition instead of having the rather odd yellow frame

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Good call GMG.

Uploaded the reversed pic. Both orientations look nice, but I'm leaning toward the right facing version.

Attached Files:

8. kuvasz

Hungary
    No, the non-1st editions would have grey frames because I think they go better with the pets than a yellow. What I was referring to with my line was the small dark grey pixels in some of the pets, which probably most of you haven't noticed :D The Protoss pets have them in the first post in case you're curious.

As for them facing right, the reason I went for left, as I said, is that most renders and other sites' pets face right. Having seen lots of images face right it's rather refreshing and somewhat novel to see them face left... at least, IMO.

9. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    ...all my work for nothing. Oh well, I got lazy with it after the queen pic got updated, though I bet that will change too, which would make my pet comment completely wrong :(

where did you get those images anyway? When I looked for some, I couldn't find anything that good.

10. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I am pretty sure kuvasz created them himself instead of cutting them from anywhere but I am not sure.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  11. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    awesomely awesome!! Go ahead as it is :D

12. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    o_O I dont see how anyone could create an image like that without spending weeks working on it.

and what does "sutting" mean?

13. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    You know sutting ... cutting ... Anyways I don't know I am just making a guess.

14. kuvasz

Hungary
    ;)

What I do need input on is how to solve the viking - currently there are two versions, so if it's fine with the management to create another viking pet, then it'll stay that way. I could of course make it slowly switch images, but I'm not sure if an animated pet is a good idea. Splitting the image in half and displaying both forms is also a possibility:
    [​IMG]
    Consider this post a minipoll.

As for your concerns Eon, since there is no newer model for the queen than the current one, the only change it'd need is a horizontal flipping.

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I think the sizing of the images should revolve around detail, not percentages. It looks odd having the close, detailed, zoomed in pic for the Marine, but a distant, more blurry, zoomed out pic for the Banshee. Not sure of the best way to fix it, but I just don't think they mesh well with each other.

Also I think the blue should be more pleasing, or grey, displeasing. The drawback of the yellow frames were that they didn't look as good. I think the grey fits in a bit too well for it to be worth buying blue.

Lastly, there should be two separate pets for the Viking Fighter and Viking Walker. It just doesn't work otherwise. Too cramped and ruins a spectacular unit. That way people can customise their pets further as well. You should try doing the same for the Dark Templar and potentially Siege Tanks.

16. kuvasz

Hungary
    Good points. While it's true that the proportions are thrown off by the different levels of zoom, they aid recognition. Check the current banshee, viking, and probably some others, to see how not to zoom in. I still don't know how the viking is displayed after all this time. As for the blurred image, I fixed it (universally, not just for the banshee) shortly after posting this thread, so no problem there.

Your take on the frame colours made me smile :) I never thought of second editions having one that would make someone think twice what to buy. Interesting point, and I'll play around with the blue frame - but I highly doubt it'd be nice to make second editions uglier on purpose.

Vikings separately no problem. But I don't think siege tanks should be split because then we'd need 2 warp prisms as well. Dark templars are currently split, so yeah another pet would need to be created on top of the viking.

ps nice avy :D

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why is seperating the Viking so important? Just wondering, because I'd be fine with just the assault mode.

I think what Itza said can apply to Siege Tanks too (as he also said), so why the Viking? Simplest would be to just have the assault mode.

As for frames, how about white for 1st edition and gray for 2nd edition? Just a thought.

18. kuvasz

Hungary
    Only assault mode for both viking and tank? I'm not sure I got your post :D

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Nono, I meant that if the Viking deserves two seperate pets, so does the Siege Tank (by which I mean that none of them needs two. Only the DT can do with one per alternative model). As far as the modes go, assault mode for Viking and siege mode for Siege Tank would be the best.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  20. kuvasz

Hungary
    Noted.

Also here's a quick variant of the frames: 1st edition went towards turquise and 2nd edition got reduced brightness.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?