1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players of Starcraft II and increased Cognitive Flexibility; a comparison study

Discussion in 'Space Junk' started by Hannah016b, Jan 1, 2014.

Players of Starcraft II and increased Cognitive Flexibility; a comparison study

Discussion in 'Space Junk' started by Hannah016b, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Hannah016b

Hannah016b New Member

Hi, this is my first post and I don't even play, but it has been found that playing RTS games can increase the ability to switch between tasks, with two different concepts in mind. Players of Starcraft II have been found to be better at this skill compared to players of other genres. This game has been the most utilised as the example of this genre of game.

I am doing a study, comparing non-gamers, FPS gamers, and Real-Time Strategy gamers. Based on previous literature, RTS players have been found to be better at this trait. I have an online questionnaire and test game which tells participants about their correct answers and response times. Cognitive abilities and gaming seems to be quite a big thing right now, especially more recently. It is nice to see some positive findings come from this type of research.

Here is the main study supporting that hypothesis (it used Stracraft II as a training tool);

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0070350

It would be really good for me if some people could complete the study, it is online and not very long, the game part is quite repetitive but this is needed for reliability of results... The questions do seem odd, I had to look for ways of defining 'frequent' users based on previous research. If you play a lot, don't be afraid of saying 'yes' to them. I truely think there is something do this whole idea.

Here is the link to it, please bear with the game! : http://www.uelpsychology.org/flexibility/

If anyone is interested at all, or takes part, I will keep the thread updated with regards to the findings!

2. crunchyg

crunchyg Administrator

Hi Hannah, your post got caught in moderation for some reason, and I just approved it. Good luck with the study!