1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rushing as a strategy

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Strategy Discussion' started by Kirson, Oct 3, 2011.

Rushing as a strategy

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Strategy Discussion' started by Kirson, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Kirson

Kirson New Member

Ok, so I am a relative newbie.. 6 months or so. I can carry out a decent long game and have become pretty good as an early Protoss rusher (IE, I play P). I always use it as a secondary strategy and only go for it seriously as the opportunity makes itself clear. I find when I am successful, at least half the time the other guy gets angry, or let's say peeved. In my view it's legit as part of the game, but I would love to hear other's POV and what the general feel about rushes are. I like winning, but not really making it not fun for others (well, sort of, lol).

Thanks in advance.

Krison

2. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    Rushing and constantly rushing is good practice your mechanics, doing the same build order forces you to perform your build faster and sharper. To be honest, I pretty much 4 gated my way to Masters, after so many 4 gates, I learned how to perform 4 different 4 gate builds. You learn these by adjusting the build you know best by the given situation.

My theory of gaming: "If a player is getting angry, you are doing something right"

so if you are feeling bad because the other player is getting mad, don't worry about it.

A pro can cheese and transition out of it like it never happened..

3. zealenth

zealenth New Member

When it comes down to it, the whole point of Starcraft is to gain an advantage over your opponent and attack at that time when you have an advantage. This might be expanding early and gaining a macro advantage, timing pushes like 3 rax with stim, or an early rush when your opponent is playing a macro heavy game and favoring economy over early defense. If you can Proxy 2 gate with zealots at 3:30 and hit a hatch first, that's a valid strategy gaining an advantage over your opponent and capitalizing on it.

The only down side is that you won't get to practice your late game/macro heavy play, which means you might not be able to grow as much as a player when executing early rushes/timing pushes. Furthermore, if you're relying on your opponent missing something and surprising them, that might hold you back as a player even more. All of the rushes can be stopped relatively easily with a little scouting.

4. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    instead of opening cheese, and still practicing your macro like zealenth mentioned, you can standard open your build, and get your zealot + stalker out, and move out, and harass with those 2 units, kill as much as you can without taking any losses. The simple act of doing this, will force your opponent to overcompensate by making too many zerglings/marines thus delaying their build. Sometimes just poking at their front door, triggers them to overcompensate.

versus Z you wanna be careful as you gotta know your timings for zergling speed, as they just counter you or run-by.

versus a lazy Terran, I can kill 3-4 marines with 1 stalker, sometimes I get enough information by seeing his 2nd CC building in his base, thus making me drop 3 more gateways for a 4 gate and winning there.

you really need to practice, learn how to read the situation. Sometimes a quick little cheese well give you the edge. Example, open 2 gate, chrono 3-4 zealots, and send them to his base, wreck as much damage as possible, and simply macro your way ahead of him.