1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sc 2 newbie seeks help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sezic, Apr 15, 2014.

sc 2 newbie seeks help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sezic, Apr 15, 2014.

1. sezic

sezic New Member

Well, i've already sent two thread introducing myself and stating how it would be nice for a little help from someone, but to no avail. So hopefully 3 a charm. Anyone around willing to help me? thanks for responding

2. Shaft

Shaft New Member

What race are you? What league? What are your goals? How will you know when you succeed?

I'm a coach, and I'm always willing to lend a hand, but a lot of the time it's race-dependent. For instance, I'm a Zerg player, so it would be hard for me to teach you Terran vs Terran.

3. sezic

sezic New Member

I want to play zerg. I have no idea what u mean by league. MY short-time goal is to get to know the ins and outs of the zerg race-- what to hotkey, what units to build first, what unit fights well against what opposing force, that kinda stuff. then i'd like to work on builds. And I will know when I succeed when I win more than lose. that's the short of it...

4. Shaft

Shaft New Member

Okay, cool. I'm a Zerg as well. I would love to be able to help you. I can teach you as much as you want to know, really, but I think the best part is to teach you the ins and outs, as you discussed. The best resource to understand the Zerg mentality would probably be my free online e-book, StarCraft 2: Zerg for Noobies. Bear in mind, a lot of it was written for WoL, but I'm going to recommend the passages relevant to you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42192160/v1.1.pdf

Check out the chapters on learning how to learn, on the best defense is a good economy, and the other prose-style chapters. Anything discussing specific compositions, styles, maps, or anything like that are outdated, but the general philosophy on how to play Zerg remains the same.

- Learning how to Learn (Page 10)
    - The Best Defense is a Good Economy (Page 12)
    - Macro & Limiting Factors (Page 15)
    - Transitioning (Page 19)

There are a couple of things about your way of thinking that I would like to address though. 1) Units are more or less cost effective against other units, but no composition beats another composition outright. I can barely count the number of times I've won games with Speedlings against Mutalisk players -- and melee units can't attack air! Oftentimes, it's more of how you use the units, how you tech switch, and most importantly, how good your injects are. 2) Don't measure growth by victories. The easiest way to find out if you are improving is to leave your camera in a replay over your hatcheries (main, then nat, then third, etc) and see how much time is elapsing before you inject. How much energy does your queen build up? Hint: One queen generates 25 energy, enough for an inject or a creep tumor, in the exact time it takes for an inject to complete, so if you ever have energy left over, you've missed an inject somewhere. This is something to focus on fixing :)

Let me know when you're ready for step two ^_^

5. sezic

sezic New Member

Sorry I took so long to get back to u but i'm in a hosp. and some stuff came up... Anyway thanks for helping. I do have a few questions. I read to page 20 and I felt like the first day of school. OK questions--- what is saturation and over saturation? What are MULES? What does 'spam the buildings mean? I have a anker programmable mouse should I use it for macroing or microing? what are 'cut drones'? Should I commit to memory all the armies and buildings of each race? THat's a good start. I'll continue reading and try to make sense of this game. Aloha

6. Shaft

Shaft New Member

I hope you're okay. Get better :)

Saturation refers to how many workers you have on a given base. Fully saturated, a base can handle 16-24 workers on minerals (2 on closer mineral patches, in relation to your hatchery; 3 for farther away) + 6 drones for gas (3 each). You ALWAYS want to have a base saturated (there are exceptions, but in an ideal world, this is a good thing). Over-saturating refers to having 40 drones on one mineral line. You're not benefitting from the 16 extra drones -- AT ALL.

MULEs are a Terran unit. It is very important to know every unit in the game. I have a few videos that will help with that. These are micro videos, but they also serve to display what almost every unit is, and what they can do. But to answer on the subject of MULEs specifically, they are a super-drone for the Terran army. It costs 50 energy and mines 300 minerals over its lifetime. It cannot mine gas, and it lasts precisely as long as 2 perfectly timed injects. One orbital command (what makes MULEs) generates 50 energy in the time it takes a queen to get 50 energy (or, 2x 25 energy injects). it's essentially worth 4 drones, so if he has 3 OCs, he has the potential for 12 more workers than a replay may show.

You use your mouse to both micro AND macro. I'm not sure I understand the question.

Cutting drones refers to making an army before you're at full saturation. For instance, to 10 pool someone, you cut drones at 10, save enough money for a spawning pool, then build the spawning pool, an overlord, and then continue your build.

In your final question, you ask about spamming buildings. I can only find one context for that, so I'll post it here to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

The term "to power" refers to making a lot of production buildings. Extra macro hatcheries, taking more bases than you can put drones at, et cetera. If you're consistently at over 400 minerals without intending to be, you need to either power, or work on your injects, or both.

Terran Units Catalog & How to Control Them
    Protoss Units Catalog & How to Control Them
    Zerg Units Catalog & How to Control Them

And then, once you feel like you understand most of the units individually (don't worry about compositions just yet), check these two videos out:

Basic Unit Control
    Advanced Unit Control

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. sezic

sezic New Member

Thanks bro. The info you're given be gold. See I also play Diablo 3. And that a completely different game entirely and it takes me some time to switch between both games. But I plan on spending more time on sc2. This is the first game I had to Study before playing

8. Shaft

Shaft New Member

No problem :) Watch some games, learn the units. When you see pros playing, it'll make a big difference. Playing yourself is good, but only if you watch your replays. It's very important to understand your opponent's units, how they get them, what buildings they require, etc. Read all of the tooltips, for every race :D