1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SC II maps marketplace

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by Higgs Boson, Aug 21, 2009.

SC II maps marketplace

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by Higgs Boson, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

It looks like IceFrog is going to be a rich, rich man.

2. DiablosDungeon

DiablosDungeon New Member

It's almost frightening, but also very exciting.

This raises a ton of questions.

- How will they filter the junk maps? My guess is that they're going to rely on fan votes.

- How can they ensure someone who pays for the map doesn't just distribute it later for free? My guess right now is that we'll be forced to be online in order to play it.

- Pricing on maps. I can just imagine someone making a half-assed map and selling it for a lot. We'll need like trial versions or something.

3. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

Obviously you send it to Blizzard first which validates it. There are some rules. You have to have large amount of original models and sounds to be able and enter the paid program so even dota might not be eligable.

4. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    I think it’s a great idea! Blizz specifically stated DOTA didn't change enough to warrant it being classed as a "premium map" however this is obviously subject to change. I'd be prepared to pay for any mods which are at the same quality level as the top source mods currently or full campaign packs considering they're giving out the same tools they used for the campaign.

5. A milli

A milli New Member

Virginia
  6. Vetro

Vetro New Member

Toronto, Canada
    This seems like a nice way to reward people for their work. Some of the maps for the original SC were quite elaborate and with the new features introduced in SC2's editor, we are bound to see maps pop up that could be described as being entirely new games, worthy of a purchase.

7. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Should be noted: They said DOTA probably would not be eligible to be a pay map because it doesn't really use any content created by the map maker. Looks like you'll have to do more than just make a creative map but actually create some unique content for a map to be special enough to be premium.

8. doos_101

doos_101 New Member

I raised the same question,

How will they prevent developers from distributing high quality maps for free. This case will slowly corrupt the marketplace system, knowing that many players will get discouraged from the marketplace and will look for free maps that are great anyways...

9. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

If the person who made the map doesn't want to sell it, they don't have it. It's not a "YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR MAPS NOW MUWAHAHAH" System. It's a "I just made this bad ass map that I spent a lot of time on....I feel like I'd like a little compensation for it." So they can send it to Blizzard to distribute it and give them a cut of the profit from the map. How much cut? Who knows, but it's going to be that much more than what they would be making if they didn't sell.

*EDIT* I do wonder how they will prevent piracy. I bet it's something like Steam does now. The map is tied to the account, so if you try to load it while it's not under the "Purchased" part of the account, it won't let you open it up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  10. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    There might be an encoded, in-game version of copyrighted purchased maps so people can't redistribute them, and obviously only people who bought the map can host it. Coming up with a protection system isn't hard - executing it in a way that ensures that no cheapskate hacker overthrows the system is what's hard.

I hope this marketplace doesn't backfire and cause anarchy in b.net :D

11. doos_101

doos_101 New Member

I strongly disagree.

What happens if all the sudden, the most popular premium map becomes freely distributed. Wouldn't it damage the integrity of the marketplace system? Yes. Because why would people spend money for a map less popular than a map that is free?

12. A milli

A milli New Member

Virginia
    i will not pay i refuse im already gonna end of paying lik 150 for the games

13. MyWifeforauir

MyWifeforauir New Member

Hmm i have a feeling this will not end well... as ppl stated above certain users will make maps of high standards and will distribute it for free... and also people somehow distributing the premium maps for free either by hacking or exploit would mess up the marketplace up further. Personally a donation button will work much better, with users testing out the maps and seeing its complexity and for the well made ones donate a sum of money as a way of thanks.

14. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I am for the donation button. The idea of making people pay for a map is too complex, and not suitable for people without credit cards, yet. (like me)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  15. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    no.no.no.no.no.no.no.
    hell to the **** no. (however, yes to "MyWifeforAiur(why not just go marry a zealot then?)'s idea of donation button! :D might give map makers incnetive to make good maps without forcing others to buy it)
    this really pisses me off. why the hell would u need to pay for "premium maps"?
    damn marketplace, all sc maps should be free, i think blizzard should just stick to everything being free (except for the actual game of course). this would make it so much more fun. yea, u can get some quick money if ur a good map maker but still wtf. maps are supposed to be played with, not to make money off of. GRR
    at this point im ready not to buy sc2 just to spite blizzard :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I've shared these same concerns with Blizzard and they've assured me they plan on making the system efficient and will focus only on distributing content they feel has taken time to develop. A simple Cat and Mouse UMS map is not going to be on the map content system.

Also, developers will have the option of distributing their maps for free. This is simply a method for smaller developers to be able to have a legitimate budget for a project in the hopes of quickly paying that budget off.

Thirdly, I asked Blizzard to give me a definitive price range of maps and the resounding response was "about 50 cents a map." You're not going to be paying $10 for a map. It will be a small charge, enough to (when combined with thousands of other players) generate a decent revenue.

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Sounds fair. Also: it's not like you will be forced to buy them. Looking at the quantity and quality of official Starcraft and Warcraft 3 maps, I think that people playing the stock maps will have little to complain about.

Further, a good Starcraft map takes hours to master. After that you can play it for weeks, while still discovering new tactics. If only Blizzard quality maps are going premium, then 50 cents gives you more new gameplay then most full rts games. Just saying.

I just wonder how they think they can seek out good maps right away. No point in making a map premium if thousands of people already have it. Also: no way they can prevent sites like incgamers from uploading maps. Hmm, they were pretty secretive about b.net 2.0 secuirity, I guess they have good plans for this too. I really need to stop worrying and get happy thoughts about how awesome this is going to be. -_-

18. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I would opt for a donation and a pay-to-host feature. That way, everyone can still play without fees, yet would require a payer in order to host the game.

19. MyWifeforauir

MyWifeforauir New Member

YouTube - Shia LaBeouf in "No No No NOo" video lol ur comment reminded me of this

But anyway digression aside its the fact that the developers know that their maps can be free or not but however if vast number of good maps end up being free it will result in dilution of the value of the premium maps and less people would buy the maps. I just think that a donation button is more practical and better for the long term but we'll see how things will turn out. I mean i want the developers of good mods and maps to earn the worth of their maps but most people i know balk at buying maps and even if it is cheap many people would consider it a hassle to buy things online for such minor things. Not worth the effort so to speak.

I would gladly pay for these maps however as the developers deserve it but one thing that bugs me is that how will users be able to test the map out? While the quality of all the premium maps will be amazing, that does not mean that the map styles will appeal to everyone and a valid way of testing it should be required. A timer on the map may be an option but will make players rush the experience or perhaps have the beginning sections of maps to be available for free. (I'm assuming that melee maps won't be premium but custom campaign maps or mods will be the one being premium as Blizz said the map has to be of a certain standard to be even considered premium) However i have a feeling the latter will be implemented as its much more practical (allows players to screw about in unlimited time in a limited area) Hopefully more information on this comes out soon as it will reveal critical aspects of how things are going to be run and the fact that its directly related to Bnet 2.0

20. asdf

asdf New Member

i'm willing to pay for anything that's worth it. i'm sure there will be excellent maps out there that are worth the money (though i hope it's only $1 or something like that).

as for piracy-prevention, it shouldn't be too hard. if you join a game with a premium map, it would probably be linked to your account. even if you downloaded the map, but your b.net account doesn't say you bought the map, then you can't join the game.