1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sc2 Campaign Remake

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by Rebel Head, May 3, 2011.

Sc2 Campaign Remake

1. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    Hello, before I talk about a campaign remake project, I would first like to say, as a huge fan of the starcraft 1 storyline, I was utterly disappointed. Although I enjoyed the gameplay, even in the campaign; the sc2 plot, dialogue, and all other associations of story was, for me, like a slap in the face from blizzard. I can't stress it enough how much I have anticipated how awesome the story of a sequel would unfold, even before blizzard announced sc2, and how let down I was, so I have decided to recreate a starcraft 2 campaign that diehard fans of the original's story could enjoy.

I don't have much to present as far as story goes yet, just a general idea of how it could unfold from race to race, but I wanted to first gather support, and ask for any ideas, and possibly recruit project members, and maybe even voice actors.

So far, what I have in mind is a more linear mission format with generally around 10 or so missions per each campaign, and a talking head briefing before each mission, like the original starcraft, rather than the starcraft 2 method of allowing the player to select missions from a small group of other missions. The story will pick up right where brood war left off, and instead of including silly things like prophecies, and the cliche battle of good, and evil, this campaign will be more about real, and raw gray characters, and their struggles in a grand conflict of epic proportions with an intriguing plot, and smart dialogue that fans of the original starcraft story could appreciate.

As for the story itself, it will mainly focus on a more exigent matter, that even Kerrigan at the end of brood war possibly feared: the emergence of the protoss/zerg hybrid. For now, I decided to begin the campaign with the Zerg. My idea for the beginning is that Kerrigan gathers the bulk of her forces, and abandons the sector she had dominated in search for clues of a certain presence that could be a grave threat to her, as mentioned in the epilogue of brood war. Eventually she encounters Duran, and becomes aware of his plot to fashion protoss/zerg hybrids. In fear of the repercussions the hybrid's would have on her control of the swarm, she embarks on a mission to sabotage Duran's plans. However, through Duran's manipulations, she also takes his endeavor as an opportunity to increase her own powers and perhaps complete her domination of eventually the entire universe, and thus is beguiled into indirectly serving Duran's agenda by gathering the necessary pieces left by the xel'naga to complete the creation of the perfect being. In the process, Kerrigan encounters factions such as zeratul and his bunch, the united earth forces in its entirety, and even rival zerg factions controlled by premature hybrids.

In the following campaigns, Kerrigan returns some several years later to the koprulu sector, after having annihilated nearly the entire united earth faction, to battle it out with the residing factions in her quest for the remaining xel'naga artifacts. The other races, who have rebuilt during the time lapse, struggle to defend themselves, unaware of, but eventually discovering a far more looming threat. As the story reaches its climax, the nature of Duran and his servitude "of a far greater power", the true nature of the xel'naga, the hybrid's role in the universe itself, and several other mysteries are perhaps ultimately revealed.

That's all I have for now, any ideas to forge this campaign remake project into a true starcraft experience are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Hmmm... I'm generally a fan of such projects and would like to see such an idea come to life, though I should say that I disagree with your view of the SC2 campaign, and the main reason is that you seem to see it as "THE sc2 campaign" where in fact it's just the introductory part(the other 2/3 of it will just come in the form of 2 expansions)...

I mean, we're not yet told what kerrigan did during the time of her absence but through the Zeratul missions we clearly see that she's not been idle and has been doing her research on the events of SC1 regarding Duran, the Zerg/Protoss hybrids, the Xel'Naga etc, but this part of the story I believe will unfold during the Heart of the Swarm expo as flashbacks or something, and ultimately we will find out about duran's role and what's he been up to I expect by the end of the Heart of the swarm and deal with it while closing the story in the final protoss campaign...

I think that you're comparing the 1 side of the story presented to us so far with the complete thing which is quite unfair, tbh...

Still, it would be awesome if some people that are well-versed in SC lore(including books and comics and stuff) would get togeather and pull of a complete revamped campaign, hope you get some good feedback on this since it's a really cool idea if it gets to come to fruition...
    Best of luck to you!

3. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    Yay this is awesome!!!
    I dont seem to have much to do in my sparetime at the moment so if you need me for anything i will appreciate to help you!
    just pm me after reading this and we can probably figure something out if you still want to do it ^^

4. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    Thanks Stirlitz, and I am aware that WoL is an introductory, my problem with it though was the lack of intelligent, and serious dialogue that was common ground in the original starcraft. The story itself I found to be poor as well; it seemed to be, in my opinion, very elementary, and cliche. It is likely that we will be seeing a continuing trend in the next 2 expansions.

On another note, I have a suspicion that blizzard has disregarded Duran's existence based on Zeratul's reaction when he encountered the hybrid ("Who could have done such a thing?!").

Makki your help would be great. Right now I am only on the drawing board with this, so maybe you could help by coming up with your own rough draft for a general story plot for each campaign, and we can compare, and edit ideas.

Any help is appreciated, especially from those with extensive knowledge on the starcraft universe from the novels, and such.

5. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Does this thread contain any spoilers? I'm not reading it because I haven't finished the SC2 campaign yet. Is it about the sc2 campaign?

6. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    No, this is about a fan-made remake of the sc2 campaign. It is not however a modification to blizzard's WoL campaign (i.e. added missions, alternate endings, etc), but one started from scratch. There are spoilers, though vague. I went back in my posts, and edited out any spoilers pertaining to the events of the campaign so you are safe to read what I posted. Makki's post has no spoilers, and Stirlitz doesnt really have any neither.

7. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Alright I skimmed a couple bits that were a little shady to me regarding spoilers, but I would be glad to help. I'm pretty much fluent in the galaxy editor.

8. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    yay!
    im not that good at making storylines and such.. hmm probably just 'cause i haven't really read any of the novels or other history-stuff about Sc2.

9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Do you plan to recreate the additional canon missions as well as the main campaign(s)? So that means the prequel missions on Chau Sara, enslavers, deception, mercenaries and ressurection IV.

Also, I'd like to note that there were massive hiccups within the story of the original starcraft as well. Much of the canon did not become apparent through the missions, the toppling of Tarsonis felt underwhelming, Raynor just appears everywhere without reason (It later got explained in the novels how he teamed up with the protoss, but it felt rather silly in the original game), None of the planets ever felt inhabited beyond the little part you controlled. The original starcraft had much more of its greatness in the backstory mentioned in the manual than was actually conveyed in-game. The campaign of the original starcraft was fair for it's time, but the way it told its story was still stunted. I can't compare it to starcraft 2 yet, though.

10. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    @EatMeReturns: That would be great because I don't know much about the galaxy editor. I did do some mapping in warcraft 3 so I am not completely without modding experience for blizzard games. Ill at least pump out one mission before I kick the project into full gear, and if you feel it has potential, and if you're still interested ill be glad to be assisted, and advised in anyway.

@Makki: Any bit helps, I was thinking of writing a storyboard for the first mission, as a template, and then once I am done, ill send you a PM, and we can get started on level design, and what not.

@ijffdrie: I don't have any plans of making additional episodes that are separate from the fan-made campaign's storyline for now. I wouldn't go too far to say there were massive hiccups to the starcraft 1 campaign, but there were some minor holes. Even in spite of these I felt the starcraft 1 (including the vanilla, and broodwar) moved along smoothly, and effectively illustrated the major points to the story. Not to mention the characters were loved much more than Starcraft 2's cast. Yes, the tarsonis invasion seemed under whelming, yes Raynor made odd appearances (though for me it wasn't that hard to imagine how even from not having read any novels), and there wasn't alot of ambience if you will going on in the universe, but is it any worse then, for example, the news cast's lack of seriousness, and almost humorous tone when reporting the zerg invasion extinguishing billions of lives, or how ancient prophecies are foretelling impending doom?

I agree that Starcraft 1's campaign wasn't very elaborate telling its story, but it was still very straight to the point, and enjoyable. Starcraft 2's campaign format had alot of potential for going more in-depth with character interactions, and storytelling then ever before, but it was, I felt, done in such a poor way by blizzard that it came out to be more like a B-rated Hollywood film.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    @ the duran thing

Ever noticed the Narud dude? It's quite obvious. No idea why Zeratul doesn't recognize him, but meh. Maybe it didn't happen after that?

12. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    That's very interesting Aurora, I never made the connection. There should be a thread dedicated to that discussion.

13. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I'll only help so long as I am never exposed to any spoilers ever.

14. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Maybe we should make a thread for discussion of starcraft 2 vs starcraft 1.

also, 30 out 55 euros until i can buy starcraft 2.