1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sentries and force fields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Speed, Nov 6, 2011.

Sentries and force fields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Speed, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Speed

Speed New Member

Simple question: What is the easiest way to spam a wall of FF?

I've seen replays where Toss players spam a wall of FF (especially vs. Zerg) to keep from being surrounded. When I have all my units selected (let's say 6 zealots and 7 sentries or so) and I see a bunch of lings or roaches coming at me, what I've tried to do is press F then hold down shift and right click a bunch to make a wall of FF, but it doesn't work. I suspect that it's because my sentries are already attacking (I have them on attack move usually) and they need to complete that order before putting up the fields.

The only thing I can think of that works is to repeatedly press F then right click again and again where I want the FF. Is that how it has to be done?

I realize this is proabably a noob question. I'm just looking for the way to get this done as efficient as possible :).

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    No, you can't have certain types of units selected while you're using your cast ability. Hotkey your sentries and press that hotkey then shift-cast and it'll work.

:)

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    You can have a mix of units as long as only one type has abilities, NoobX. If you have multiple units with abilities, the one you have most of will take over the group (e.g. after blink has finished researching). What I did to counter this was remap caps lock and make it be shift+tab, so it's easy to cycle back and forth between units.

As for the question, I think shift+click works after you've put down 1 FF since your command to create an FF is given to all your sentries, which overrides their attack command, but only the first one to be able to do it will actually do it. Therefore, with that unit comp you need to go: a-move, f, left click, f, shift+click click click ....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. Speed

Speed New Member

Thanks, I'll have to try that out, Kuvasz.

5. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    The way I do it, its probably not the best way, but its guaranteed to work lol : just shift F click F click F click F click etc..

TIP to how to use sentries:
    Do not hotkey your sentries with your stalkers
    1 - blink ability may take precedence over sentry abilities
    2 - Most importantly when you are A-clicking everywhere, you don't want your Stalkers in front of your sentries because stalkers walk faster than sentries. (As soon as the stalkers attack, they stop, and the sentries are caught behind them and cannot cast their abilities.

example: hotkey zealots+ sentries on 1, and stalkers and colossi on 2. This type of hotkey setup layers your army automatically when you do 1 A click, then 2 A click. zealots in front, sentries in back, then stalkers with colossi.

6. BigDaddy-B

BigDaddy-B New Member

B-Town, Hungary
    Imo the simpliest way to spam forcefields is holding down the hotkey (F default) and clicking as fast as u can.

7. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    Well not as fast as you can lol, you want to avoid overlapping your FF

8. BigDaddy-B

BigDaddy-B New Member

B-Town, Hungary
    Thank you chowzilla for the complement!

So the simpliest way to spam forcefields is holding down the hotkey (F default) and clicking as fast as you can without overlapping. Its important to mention guys, if you're doing it too fast, you can easily end up with superpositioning 3-4 or even 5 forcefields! It sounds really useless. So if you have taken my advice and did it "as fast as you can" and experienced overlapped FFs, then what you have to do is reducing your clicking speed! If it's still fast, then slow it down even more to find the correct speed! It won't be as easy as it sounds. I wish you good luck in practicing!

9. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    Perhaps the next topic should be: How to place your FFs effectively