1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stacking Geysers

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by Rsredmage, Dec 6, 2010.

Stacking Geysers

1. Rsredmage

Rsredmage New Member

I have searched several sites (SCmapsters, this site, youtube, and a general Google search) and can not find what I am looking for, or did but didn't understand it.

In the map editor I found out how to stack Vespene geysers and minerals BUT I can not figure out how to build an assimilator, extractor, or refinery on top of the geyser. I have played with the Movement - Radius and Movement - Pathing footprint of both geyser and structures. I can not figure out what else I need adjust to make this work, all I get when testing is "Requires vespene geyser"

So far the only post I found even containing stacking, resources, and geysers, in the same entry was over at SCmapsters but I don't know what the hell he was getting at ( something about changing the geysers to minerals???)

If you can't tell I'm going for the Fa$$test map idea. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Wait so are you trying to build the gas buildings in game or in the editor?

3. Rsredmage

Rsredmage New Member

In the editor what I am trying to do is clutter geysers AND be able to clutter gas gathering building on top while playing. So far I am able to clutter the geyser right next to each other in the editor, but I can not set it up so the buildings can be built on them in the game

4. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    So I did some research, and apparently http://vilegaming.com is dedicated to Fastest starcraft/starcraft 2 gameplay. I bet you could find several tutorials there.

5. Rsredmage

Rsredmage New Member

Well I checked the site, so far I can't find any tuts. Just discussing Fastest maps in general. I'm still looking for. Thanks for the help though!

6. -1equalsexp(ipi)

-1equalsexp(ipi) New Member

The reason the stacking geysers doesn't work is because when you build a geyser on a spot where multiple geysers are stacked the game will build on the 'top' geyser. When you try to build on that spot again, it will check the 'top' geyser, see that it already has a building on it, and then say you can't build there because a building is already built there.

I can think of a few work arounds that may or may not work. The first thing you could try is find the refinery / assimilator / extractor in the units tab, click 'behavior - build on' and then add refinery, extractor and assimilator so that you can build extractors, refineries and assimilators on extractors, refineries and assimilators! However, this might cause some problems because even if you can build multiple extractors / refineries / assimilators on the same spot you might have: 1. enemies might be able to build on your refineries, extractors and assimilators (not sure about this). 2. you will have difficulty selecting gas production buildings that aren't at the 'top', so you may have issues repairing a refinery or even ordering workers to harvest gas out of geysers that aren't at the top. I have no idea how good SC2 worker AI is, so maybe the workers will go to other geysers if more than 3 are on a single geyser. You could always add a trigger that orders workers to seek the geyser with the least number of workers if this is a problem.

If that doesn't work, my advice is to make assimilators / extractors / refineries upgradeable so you can upgrade them to have extra capacity.

7. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Why not just make a line of geysers?

8. Rayzor

Rayzor New Member

i just made a fastest melee map a while ago....i found out you do not need to stack minerals or geysers...the best thing to do is edit the gatherers ie drones,scv,probes and make them so they do not get in each others way so they will be able to acces the resources with out waiting for the current unit to move...it will decrease your ingame lag also and you can also increase their carrying capacity to to make them really gather fast.
    ok to do this bypass for gatherers after you place your minerals and geysers go to data select mineral field {you need to do this for geysers also} and select each type of gatherer and change the flags to "bypass resource queue" for each unit..drone,probe and scv. and here is some help i recieved to help with the footprint for placement to:
    aight well make sure the minerals and gas have ingnore placement checked. and ull have to change the extracters pathing foor print too foot print 2x2 (creep + contour) and the pathing foot print placement to foot print 2x2 (creep)make sure the vespene guysers pathing foot print is set to foot print 3x3 and the mineral fields is set too foot print doodad 2x1. that should be all u need to change to make it fastest. i hope that helps you.

changes:
    mineral field footprint 2x1,worker flag.

check out my map and lemme know what yall think. look it up by name its a melee 4v4 and name is: F@stest-Possible Map

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. Rayzor

Rayzor New Member

I updated my previous post to help clarify a little better.