1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOP SECRET SC2 Map Project

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by Simbob, Apr 20, 2009.

TOP SECRET SC2 Map Project

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by Simbob, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    I know there is a few keen mappers out there itching to get your brains around the SC2 map editor. If your anything like me you'll know it takes a lot of effort to create a high quality, good looking map. Mostly I get half way through a map (I do most of my mapping in WC3), think of a different idea, then go and put that into another map. This has left me with more unfinished maps than you can count on your hands twice over. I find however, that if other people are contributing, I can stay on track and focus on the end goal.

So, I'm here to propose a TOP SECRET SC2 map made by a few of us here at starcraft2forum.org. I'm not sure what sort of map it will be, so I want everyone who wants to be involved to give me a yell. I was going to wait for SC2 to come out to share my proposition, but I suppose we can brainstorm ideas until the release of the game.

I've taken the liberty of starting a social group for the "TOP SECRET SC2 Map Project". I can send you an invite if your interested... Social Group

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Good thread. When I played to Multiplayer games, in UMS maps there were some original maps that can be used now in the solo campaign for SC2. But is is hard to convert a 2D map into a 3D map, in my mind.

3. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    I have made a few maps for blizzard games over the past few years. I tried the sc editor, but I didn't like it much. I prefer the wc3 editor. I have always finished a melee map when I've started one. :)

My first attempts were imbalanced, but my later maps have been a lot better. Map making helps me understand things like good base location, good expansion placements, and in what ways expansions are safe or vulnerable, and knowing how to provide various interesting ways of crossing from one base to another, or from base to expansion.

It's also rewarding to watch people playing them, and seeing if a map works as I intend it to. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Gonna go ahead and be a rebel by staying on topic...
    A) Count me in. But contact me constantly via MSNIM (Pablo923@msn.com) and/or AIM (EatMeReturns5@aim.com) because I'm not using this forum as often as I once did.
    B) How about something like DotA or Battle Tanks? Widespread and lots of strategy like DotA, and actually fun and enjoyable like Battle Tanks.
    C) I'm working on learning how the WC3 programming works, so once I get that down, hopefully the SC2 editor will be similar. I am already fairly experienced with the WC3 terraining and object editing.

5. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I know how you feel. I've made a few maps but only finished and released one map. I'd love to help but, recently i'm having less and less time to play video games.

Something like DoTA would be fun, but it would need a twist. How about based on a full fledged, coop required battle. As in, heroes able to take cover (assuming that we can do that now), actually requesting artillery from the base controller, the player controlled base could level up as well acquiring general points. These points could be used for stronger artillery, unit upgrades, unit increase. Also, hopefully we could work in some really interesting terrain/player interactivity.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Yeah, this all sounds like a good idea. Controlling 1 unit and leveling it would be good fun. I do really like dota, and have a lot of respect for the creator. (WARNING Geomancer inspired idea (all who play dota should know what he does)) But what if rather than having one unit you have 4. You pick your squad of 4 units from a list of however many. The units won't be as complex as that of dota, but having 4 will make it just as difficult to micro.

Another idea i've had (One i had finished as a small scale test in WC3) is of a similar concept to that of dota. You have 2 teams fighting. On the map are "control points" that you can capture. Every 15 or so seconds your control point produces a unit for your team (kind of like in RISK games), but the unit instantly runs off to fight the enemy (like what the creeps from dota do). The goal is to destroy your opponents base (obviously).

P.S. send me a PM if you want in, just so i can keep track of everything. :D

P.P.S. Nice map jasmine.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Hehe AoS!

Or a massive campaign!

8. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I just love making terrain look good. When it comes to map making, I'm about about the cinematography.
    Doodads are my best friends. But not too many mind, don't want to clutter a shot.

9. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    So, are these the sort of maps you guys would like to make? An AOS/DotA style map? Because that'd be sweet. We'd maybe be able to name the characters after people on the forums (ones that contribute).

@Arvendragon
    Aren't we already making a campaign anyway? We could make one, but i was thinking about making a map that has a competitive element to it. Something you can play over and over again to improve. And then play so much you just pwnt all over teh noobzors. :D

10. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Aeon
    Of
    Strife

One of the first StarCraft classics.
    It spawned Hero Wars, and essentially spawned all computer-controlled battles with player heros.
    e.g. Storm the Fort
    Temple Siege
    Custom Hero Wars
    etc.

11. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Exactly, a perfect map to base ours off...

But c'mon on guys. I need more pm's if this is gunna go anywhere...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  12. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I'm going to try the starcraft 2 editor for sure, so this looks like a good idea.

13. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    I've sent you all invites. I hope you accept. If not, no hard feelings :wubclub:

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  14. JakeKessler

JakeKessler New Member

Tallahassee, FL
    I'm so down. I've got experience making maps for SC and War3 both, and I'm looking forward to SC2 mostly for the map editor. Please, let me know any way I can help out.

15. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    Please send me a invite too.

I just can't wait to check out all the 1337 options in the SC2 map editor :D

16. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Ok. All done :D

You've got yer invites :)

17. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    I can hardly wait for SC2 Map Editor. I tried using map editors before, and I made some pretty looking maps. But I never had the time to make them really playable or even matched. I have used map editors for games such as: SC, The Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle-Earth 1-2, and The Lord of the Rings The Rise of the Witch-king. (they were basically the same MPE but WOTLK had add-ons) I am really good at shading, and just overall scenery blending. A good example of blending is in BFME2 when they had many different ground types, like: clay, brown, rocks, barren, etc. Then they had many grasses you could choose from and you had to blend them to actually make them look natural. Third you had the trees, oh the trees were fun to play with but you had all the other vegetation and rock formations such as cliffs and valleys. Finally you had the water, and I am telling you now the water was horrible for me. Yes it was fun looking at the end result but the water pathing and the rivers and I even did a few waterfalls to, but still the work was horrendous. But I loved doing it, even though I only gave any of my maps out to a few friends they said they liked them.

What I am trying to say is that I have experience with map making and a slight bit of animation and coding (I am taking lessons from a friend on more coding) so I want in on this. I think this will be really fun, and plus I want to be able to make one of the first good custom maps for SC2. So you think you can send me an invite?

18. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Just done it now. :D

Just a note to everyone involved. You should let us know what ideas you have. Check in on the social group every now and then and let us know what you wanna do with this.

19. darkshakuras

darkshakuras New Member

When i played WC3 and the original Starcraft, I only played the campaign and custom maps. IMO, the best ones were the ones that involved resources management and were still competitive, but did not involve as much micro and multitasking as the real game did.

I really hope to see custom SC2 maps like Tower Wars, Bunker Wars, Zone Control, Tower Defense, etc.. I have seen a few versions of Bunker Wars so far, but none look polished, and I have seen no Tower Wars maps. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a good amount of time before we start seeing some awesome custom content. As the game gets older, more people will be looking for a broader game experience, and will start playing more custom maps.

I applaud your commitment to turning out really polished content for the community, and it really does take a team of people to make something truly epic. I don't know how to use the map editor yet, but I could contribute some cool ideas on balance and help play test the custom map that you guys end up producing.

-Dark Shakuras

20. marcmad

marcmad New Member

well i never finished a map too. My idea are way too complex for my little amount of skill and my attemp are high so i was somewhat never able to finish any map i was making. I have little experience but often crazy idea.. good or bad.