1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troy Davis dead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Higgs Boson, Sep 22, 2011.

Troy Davis dead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Higgs Boson, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15013860
    What's wrong with people?
    As a member of Amnesty International I am absolutely appalled. I felt physically sick when I read they actually followed through on it this morning.

First Rick Perry gets cheered on when he shows off his record number of state killings.
    Then every possible comittee and court that could stop the execution of Troy Davis gives him a middle finger.
    Then every article about Davis is flooded by cretins shouting "OLOL libtards want to protect murderers".

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

If there is one positive side to this story it is that Davis might give a serious kickstart to the newest civil movement that will call an end to executions in the U.S.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I'm sorry, but why the hell does someone whose guilt is so uncertain get the death penalty anyway? That just seems stupid. Even if I didn't oppose the death penalty (in 99% of the cases, making rare exceptions for political figures that would undoubtedly get rescue attempts), it would seem obvious to me that, if there is any reasonable doubt, there can't be a death penalty.

3. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

From what I gather the original trial was pretty decisive (I mean come on: A jury, a black guy and captivating witnesses?...) but since then many if not most of the crucial witnesses have recanted their testimonies and new DNA evidence showed up that didn't line up with the official story.
    This would probably be enough to warrant re-trial and mabye even release of most people in prison, little alone when the person is on a bloody death row.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The US has serious money issues. Executing someone costs waaaaaay more than locking them up for life, according to amnesty. (like, several hundred millions a year) If they'd campaign with that, politicians would be all over it. I mean, they could say "Our party invests millions more in schools this year, and locks up criminals for a lifetime." I'd pick that any day over "we cut back on your basic needs so that we can legally murder people and lower ourselves to their level". :p