1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: Buying a Computer for StarCraft 2 for under $650

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 3, 2008.

TUTORIAL: Buying a Computer for StarCraft 2 for under $650

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [​IMG]

I've updated the article once again. Hopefully I can update the Canadian link again too fairly soon. This PC's specs are out of this world. And if you go with the 4 GB RAM setup (or get one of the quad cores and upgrade the RAM further) you should be able to do much more than just SC2. I don't think there's a game out there that this wouldn't run very well. And it'd be great for video processing too!

Tutorial: Building a Computer for StarCraft 2

So I know lots of you want better performance for when StarCraft 2 is released. You want the perfect computer to play your favorite game when it's released. I receive a lot of PMs about this topic asking me to help people pick out their computer or where to find deals. So I decided that in this tutorial I will show you where and how to buy a PC that will play StarCraft 2 on the highest settings without lag. Well, here we go!

The first thing to establish here is that Laptops are much more expensive than PCs for gaming purposes. Video cards are just not designed to work in an enclosed space that you encounter in laptops.

If you're a laptop user, I feel you, but this tutorial won't do much for you because getting a laptop that will run SC2 is going to break the bank.

Let's get started building our computer:

When you do buy your computer (if you buy it through Newegg.com, please click the following link!)

[​IMG]

Live in Canada? Use this list!

What do I need? These are all the components you will need to make a pretty darn good desktop machine. They'll get you rolling! Agreed, these aren't top of the line pieces of equipment, but they will get you the most bang for your buck. Stay with these brands and these specifications and you can't go wrong! Do not settle for less than these recommended specs! ;)

- Case ($119.99 w/ shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

- Power Supply 700W ($84.99) - $59.99 after rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171054

Motherboard + Processor - AMD vs Intel

There's a bit of a tossup here. Cost versus performance. This part is up to you. AMD has really stepped up their quality, but then again I've never had an Intel component fail, and I've seen it with AMD. I'll give you a few options that should get you a decent product.

AMD

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128445

Check out this other AMD combo... it's a little more pricey but comes with a GTX460! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.573823

OR

Dual Core processor that fits the same motherboard as above FOR CHEAPZ ($89.99)

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846

Comes with the same motherboard. This is a significant savings and really shouldn't affect performance. Quad cores are the way of the future though and will operate 64 bit programs more efficiently if you have a 64 bit OS. Also, Quad Cores can utilize more RAM space (up to 16 GB instead of 4).

INTEL

I like this i5 processor because it has the best of both worlds, the speed of a Dual Core with the processing and cache abilities of a Quad Core.

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131634

Another great motherboard. ASUS has really grown on me. I bought a laptop from them and it's great.

- Video Card ($109.99 after rebate)
    These cards keep coming down in price! GTS450!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133343

Here's another similar card in case that one goes out of stock...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121415

The GTS250 is outdated as far as price is concerned now. You can get a GTS450 or a GTX460 for around the same price. Up to you. These cards are overkill!

Frankly I wouldn't even consider a Radeon video card in a desktop anymore because the Nvidia cards are so cheap and provide so much better performance. The price difference is usually less than $20 if you shop around and these cards are just amazing.

RAM - ($49.99) This stuff is so cheap it's not even funny. 4GB for $50 bucks and it comes with a thumb drive :p. You can splurge for 6 or 8 GB if you're going to install a 64-bit OS.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

NOTE: I trust Corsair more than any other brand for RAM. I will no longer buy Crucial components as they suck the monkeys. Their PSUs are still okay but wouldn't touch their RAM.

1 TB Hard Drive - So cheap now, figured we could spare for a 1 TB for all those pirated movi---errr I mean replays.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136534

NOTE: Never buy anything but Western Digital. Period.

Samsung CD/DVD Burner ($17.99) Free Shipping!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192

TOTAL: $705.92

Step 2: Read Joneagle_X Tutorial on building the above computer!

Link: http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6062

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Anywho, I would like to point out that Overmind (I think) was asking me how much he would need to spend on a custom-built system that can run SC2. I told him that a system at ~800 USD could run it on medium settings. Through newegg, is it possible to make a cheaper (or the same price) system that can run SC2 on maxed out settings? What settings would you say the above can run at, assuming 1 other medium-sized program is running?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Ummm.... Are you kidding? This PC will run SC2 on MAX SETTINGS!

Also, the building tutorial will be a separate thread. ;) Way to point it out FTL

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If its cheap now imagine what it will cost when SC2 comes out.

Also don't forget to buy fans. Heat causes lag, frame drops and potential computer crashes, fans dissipate heat and protect your investment from itself

5. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    well now this looks promising...

much better than what a certain member predicted :p

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    LOL Overmind what are you talking about?

Also, @ Fenix, the power supply has a pretty darn powerful fan, as does the case and video card. So it's not really a necessity to get a new one.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Did you just call me Fenix?

Yes case fans aren't necessary but they help. The northbridge and hard drives are passiveley cooled so having a ooler case helps them as well as improving the efficiency of the CPU fan.

Motherboards come with a few connectors and the fans are only a few bucks so its not gonna hurt your wallet anyways.

I should also mention that the case you have listed has a combo with a DVD burner at the moment.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's US$ I assume? What's the exchange rate at the moment... About ninety cents or so to the Aussie dollar? That's still a pretty awesome price. Though I guess there's no warranty and it's gotta be built yourself... Still. Quite tempting. Especially considering the age of my current compy... :p

Hmmm... I might even have a go at this. Are there any real issues at all with it? You made one from scratch yourself? Also, have the StarCraft2 specs actually been released yet? I know some hypothesised specs were, but wasn't aware of anything official.

...Tempting...

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Each part has its own waranty but the system as a whole will not. Tech support will also not be available so you probably shouldn't try this if you don't at least know somone who can fix the problem. You will also have to install your own operating system (which isn't that hard these days) and Windows comes with a few months of tech support, while Linux has loads of forums so if you do have software problems you should be able to sort it out assuming you aren't completley dense.

As for building the thing thats not really tht hard since you can't install anything backwards but the hard drives; even then they'll still work fine

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, I was more meaning it'd be more of a hassle than a problem. Thanks for the other info.

This comic's put me off Linux for a while though... :p
    [​IMG]

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Sadly that is true. Linux could stand to be a tad more user friendly during install and you haven't seen frustrating till you've tried a stage 1 install on gentoo and it hangs. RAWGHHHHHHHHHH

As for no waranties or tech support, so long as you know what you are doing and don't buy complete bull**** parts you shouldn't have any problems. it won't be any more hassle than any other computer, The lack of bloatware and the self customizability seems to me like it would be less of a hasle. Added to that you don't have to worry about voiding the waranty when you upgrade a component.

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Once I had all my components I think it took me two hours before I was playing SC on the biggest screen ever (I bought a 22" monitor for it). It was a grand ol' time.

The price can't be beat and it's simple to do. Plus I'll be posting a tutorial on how to put your components together with graphics and everything! Yay!

Also, these links are a few weeks old so there could be different prices and/or deals on some of these items. So unless you have no time you should look for better prices and/or deals. I cite BoP's case above.

And yes, BoP, I confused you with Fenix I guess. :D

13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Couldn't agree more. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to my PC but this price is pretty good, from what I can tell by the specs and names of the components. The problem here is that Hungary is still so behind technologically that if I wanted to buy these parts here to avoid having to pay P&P, they'd cost more.

Very nice tutorial Jon. But how come the links are several weeks old? Did this post take that long to compose or what? :D

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Just for reference how much did the screen cost.

15. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I just checked the exact same GPU (actually, it's slightly weaker) and it costs the equivalent of 267 dollars over here. I hate this place.

edit: Jon you should swap the combo links
    edit2:
    nvm

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  16. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    I'll wait 2 month before it comes out and lay 1500$ on that table to get something worth it.

Result : Starcraft 2 - High settings smoothly
    All older games like (left 4 dead, fallout3, Farcry2) will all be playable easily
    All next gen games will run smootly for 3-4 years after the purchase (Diablo3 anyone)

Pro : Supa computa, flawless SC2 experience, good for another 4-5 years.

Cons : I'll need to wait and play all other games with Med graphics cause my current can't take that much in the meanwhile. (2003 PC) 5 years for a gamer's computer is good.

Exemple : Got my hand on Spore last night, I can play High res, but Med gives me the best experience.

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The monitor is a Samsung WM220, cost me $215. ;)

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Pfaw. Way to throw the deal out into the open.

I've told my dad this is a way more powerful one than the Tiger Direct one but he wants me to compare specs still...

But thanks Jon, it's seriously a big help.

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    What do you mean? Of COURSE it's a better deal. Willy, do you not read your PMs? These are the same links I sent you like two weeks ago dummy!

20. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I deeeeeeeeeed. But my dad wants me to go over the specs.

Which I finished doing.

And it's better.

And I read them.

It's my dad that isn't sure about the deal. And the comments on the Case + Power Supply have me and him a tad worried about overheating.