1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[TUTORIAL] TvP Strategies disected and build orders

Discussion in 'Terran' started by quickzenity, Apr 15, 2011.

[TUTORIAL] TvP Strategies disected and build orders

Discussion in 'Terran' started by quickzenity, Apr 15, 2011.

1. quickzenity

quickzenity New Member

I made a blog trying to help terran players get better, here is the TvP section of my blog, i hope you guys find it helpful and if your interested in TvZ and TvT I will post them up if i get positive feed back from this as well we my blog at www.terranSC.blogspot.com which also has some replays, good luck and im a 3800 masters player disecting these known TvP strats

Terran Versus Protoss

STRATEGY 1:
    Marauder Push
    10 supply
    12 barrack
    13 refinery
    14 barrack
    14 orbital
    tech lab
    marauder
    tech lab
    supply
    marauder
    Concussive Shell
    You should be at his base at 5:30 ingame time with 3 marauders
    5:45 at the latest - Due to the fact warp gate finishes at 5:30 - 6:00 ingame, its an ideal time to attack during 5:00- 6:00 because of this twilight zone for the protoss

Then push out when you have 3 marauders together, rally point the 2 barracks to the marauder and attack, if done correctly, you should have 3 marauders at his base by 5:30 marauder shots to kill a probe

Key points to this strategy

Marauders are priority on your mineral list after you have 3 marauders out, only make scvs if you have enough to keep the marauder count pumping out
    Be aware of an early sentry, so you might want to send a scv in to check so you dont get trapped on the ramp
    You could bring 0 scvs, 2 scvs, or all ur scvs for an all in, but I do this strategy in 3800 masters with only marauders and no scvs and it still works
    Focus down the stalkers first, then sentries, then zealots ( shooting and moving away from zealot taking as least damage as possible )
    When there are only zealots left, shoot and run ( kite )
    If there is only 1 pylon supporting his gateways focus down pylon after you've killed all his units
    If there are 2 pylons, focus probes (takes 4 hits to kill a probe from a marauder)
    Make sure your rally point is still on your marauder (incase it dies)
    You should be extra careful when his warp gate is out, his research finishes at 5:45 - 6:15
    ^ cannot stress that enough you must be warry on when to get out and if its worth it to stay in.

Why is this strategy good?

Because the power of the marauder beats any gateway unit of the protoss. Combined with kiting (running and shooting) and focusing down the range. Marauders reign supreme. As well as the timing of this push is vital to your success. By the time you get to his base, he should have 2 units at max and in a position where he is transitioning into warp gates allowing a good amount of time before he can pump out units. Capitalize that time between!

Weaknesses: Early stargate void rays, when they can get them out by 6:30-7:00, you have no anti air. As well as early 2-3 sentries which is very rare.

STRATEGY 2:
    Jinro's Mech Build
    10 depot
    12 rax
    13 refinery
    15 orbital
    16 depo
    18 refinery
    20 factory
    22 bunker
    24 depo
    hellion @ factory completion
    tech lab on factory @ hellion completion
    reactor after 5th marine
    28 starport
    siege tank @ tech lab completion
    tech lab on starport @ completion
    raven when techlab complete (note its important to respond here, 4 gate, make a banshee, 3 gate VR, make a viking, etc)
    continue depots/scvs/tanks/banshee production and cut marine production as you feel appropriate to get your 2nd command center

It is important to push out early from 12:00 to 14:00 at very max to catch your opponent in an awkward timing

Push out at at stated time
    Raven has enough energy for 2 point defense drones
    bring scv's and auto repair
    Don't let opponent scout you with observer, abuse your raven
    1 or 2 banshees can do A LOT more then you think they do, focusing collossus and shielded sentries
    This is a pretty safe build and very effective.
    At all costs, keep your raven alive
    Have your thors in front of your marines and behind your helions

The variety of units combined with point defense drones will undoubtedly overpower your opponent. Having all aspects of dps covered, this strategy will tear apart your opponent. there should be no way of your opponent breaching through your defenses with repairs and a bunker, he would only be wasting his minerals. I've attatched a replay of Adebis, using this strategy very effectively. Good luck!

Weaknesses: Heavy immortal build with phoenix's picking up your tanks and killing your ravens and banshees

STRATEGY 3:
    Marine + Ghost bio push
    10 supply
    12 barrack
    13 refinery
    15 orbital
    16 supply
    20 barrack
    21 tech lab
    21 refinery
    21 ghost acadamy
    21 scouting reaper
    22 second refinery
    22 bunker
    -reactor when second barracks is done
    -pump out 1 ghosts whenever you have the gas
    and marines whenever you dont
    -when you have enough, throw down a factory
    -then second ghost with next 100 gas
    then a reactored starport and only have 2 ghosts max building up energy for emp
    38 stim followed by combat followed by +1 marine attack upgrade
    -Attack when you have stim/combat and +1 upgrades with 3 medivacs up
    emp the immortals,zealots,sentries,stalkers,sentries in that order

Becareful of dt's, use that scouting reaper effectively

If he traps you in your base, do a 1 medivac drop full of marines
    Emp is everything in this build
    Kite!
    Get your emp's off early
    You want to get the zealots off your tail first
    This could be a 1 base or a 2 base build and branch off into more teched units if you decide to get a second
    1 cycle of warp gates is not enough to kill your full medivac, so use that to your advantage
    The average time for collosi to come out is approximately 10:30 give or take, so its an ideal time to hit before then

You have the advantage of home base, so if his attack is too strong, you are able to pull scv's while he cant utilize his sentries to the fullest while you have the upper ground if the protoss decides to attack. Marine balls + emp and medivacs rape any gateway unit and immortals.

Weaknesses: Templar storms, and Collosus. You must emp the templars and mass vikings the collosi, or your marine army is worthless. They will be a nightmare if you dont get rid of them before the marine battle and confrontation. At no cost if they have those 2 units, you should ever engage your units.

2. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    nice!

3. rifT_Theory

rifT_Theory New Member

Singapore
    From the look of things, the builds you mentioned above all revolve around one base play. Perhaps you can include 1 Barracks fast expand?

4. TheWarOwl

TheWarOwl New Member

USA
    I can tell you as a Protoss the marine ghost push is a pain in the *** for me because of that damned EMP... Led me to ragequit the game for a month and complain that Terran was OP because of ghost.

5. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    These are strong builds, except for the marauder push... all a protoss needs to do, is stall for 15-30 seconds which shouldn't be a problem if the protoss is proactive on his xel naga towers.

mech build is good if he doesn't go 3 gate robo

ghost build is too good, OP, EMP needs to be nerfed some how.

6. Mind

Mind New Member

Have to agree with that all seem like an all in. Always having a backup is a good idea :D

7. olmaster

olmaster New Member

Netherlands
    Marauder build seems very solid.
    I tried this yesterday a few times. But had an extra rax pump out 2 marines at a time, rallying them to the 3 marauders.
    I met my opp in the middle a few times as the timing was a little off so I autoattacked my units towards his base, ran in to 3 units in the middle. GG allready.
    I feel safer with some marines cause no anti air.

8. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    lol dont worry about air units, at this timing push. Unless they straight up cut workers and ground units to get an air unit. If he does, run ur marauders away and make marines at your base, if he goes to your base, make marines and accumulate 4-6 real quick then attack not 1 by 1, wreck havok in his base with the marauders.