1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I suck, but can't stand to switch races

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by raidhyn, Mar 23, 2011.

Why I suck, but can't stand to switch races

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by raidhyn, Mar 23, 2011.

1. raidhyn

raidhyn New Member

Chicago
    I like to think of myself as a gamer. I've been playing games since I was a wee lad and tend to get pretty good at them. Doesn't matter what kind of game really, I mean, shoot, I play Go, I've played FPS games in CAL leagues and I can pick things up pretty quick.

But I really really suck at Starcraft 2.

I'm not a stranger to RTS games. Just the multilayer part of it. Usually I pick things up pretty quick but I've been banging my head against a straight wall of losses for the last three days and It's killing me.

It's been frustrating, but regardless I can't seem to bear switching away from Zerg. After getting destroyed so many times it just feels like a win with the other races wouldn't be worth it.

I've been reading things, forum posts, guide websites, faqs, etc. and I think I'm at least getting the terminology down and the basic concepts. Usually at this point of learning something new and still sucking I turn to the next part in my "Learn new stuff to where you're not embarassing yourself anymore" process.

Asking people for help.

So uh...what should I do?

I want to stick with Zerg simply because I think they're the most interesting race and I have this habit of banging my head against a wall until I break through it.

Would anyone here be willing to play some training games etc with me? Got advice? Suggestions?

All help would be very appreciated!

And at the same time maybe this will put that other annoying thread here to rest =)

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It'd help if you posted your region and league. I seem to remember some people offering lessons and practice matches so you should be able to find help.

3. raidhyn

raidhyn New Member

Chicago
    I'm in the U.S., Central Time, currently in the Bronze league.

I actually managed to win a couple games in a row getting lucky with a 7 pool Zerg rush. Don't think i learned much from that but it did make me feel a bit better.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    http://www.justin.tv/steven_bonnell_ii

Master zerg player who sometimes does coaching. He's usually on during nighttime hours in the US. He even does them while streaming, so if you are able to watch during then, you can see his tips for those he's coaching.

So does use strong language sometimes, hence the 18 & over warning. Though it's not that bad IMO.

5. raidhyn

raidhyn New Member

Chicago
    Cool, thanks for the resource I will definitely check it out.

6. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls New Member

Or watch some Psystarcraft, his earlier casts. He's a very good zerg player, and casts his own games. He's my hero <3

7. raidhyn

raidhyn New Member

Chicago
    Thanks! Just loaded his youtube channel and it looks like it'll be helpful.

I managed to win a couple more games using the 7pool rush tactic, after that my only other two wins were by Nydus surprise in the back of walled off bases. One game I got lucky because the Terran went Banshees and I had no-anti air. He could have annihilated me but pulled back for some reason and quit after i networked lings and four Ultralisks into his base. I'll see if i can dig up the replay....

Other than the lucky rushes though I've still been having a hard time. Mass Stalkers from Protoss are destroying me in Mid-Game and in late game I'm dying to Thors and Siege Tanks from Terran turtlers.

However, I do feel I'm improving. At least I'm using hotkeys and can tell my Queens to spew larva on two bases in 5 seconds.

On to watching a lot of videos now =)

8. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    good to hear dude ^^

9. TheWarOwl

TheWarOwl New Member

USA
    wait a second, how did you tech to ultras by the time he only had banshees?

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you man. I was a CAL-M CSS player, my team's leader, which involved planning strategies and positioning my "units" (real people). I thought, how hard could an RTS be? And then I found out I sucked at Starcraft2. Either way Starcraft2 is the most competitive game out there right now and I'm drawn to competitive gaming.

You need to first find your race. I was Zerg in BroodWar, started Zerg in SC2, but found out I hated it. I switched to protoss and I've been protoss ever since. Just try and figure out what style of play you like best.

Remember this:
    Once you get out of bronze league, the game gets better, less stupid cheesey morons.

and advice:
    Play the custom games 1v1 Xel'Naga Caverns Obs, where you can watch 2 people play real time, and also play every once in a while yourself. It helps a lot to practice this way.

GL,
    a fellow noob,
    TheWarOwl