1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Terran's Guide to the actual universe. A recap of Terran history pt1; pre-starcraft

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Story and Races' started by ijffdrie, Jul 20, 2010.

A Terran's Guide to the actual universe. A recap of Terran history pt1; pre-starcraft

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Story and Races' started by ijffdrie, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

<UEEN transmission>
    [​IMG]
    'Greetings young comrades, I am Sofia Vodkatov, and this is UEEN, United Earth Education Network!

The story of our glorious nation began with the formation of the United Powers League on the 22n of November in the year 2229. Western civalization had been failing for over a hundred years, bathing in it's own decadence. And, on the glorious day when it finally fell, the world rejoiced. But it was the government that was at fault, not the poor repressed people, and the day the government fell, the united nations, led by the glorious motherland, liberated the western citizens from their decadence.
    All the great world powers were now under a single government, the UPL, and only the corrupt governments of a few south-american nations refused to join. But there were greater problems than a few dictators. Humanity was falling apart at the seems! From the layers of filth within society, a cancer had grown. Children corrupted into mutants, men replacing bodyparts with flesh, people who only followed the will of some imaginary being called God. For the good of all of Humanity, something had to be done. We have an expert in abhuman treatment right here with us Professor Smirnoff?'
    'Ah, hrm, yes! Hello there children, I am professor Smirnoff. I am an expert on abhumans, people corrupted by the plague of decadence. Abhumans could not simply be allowed to remain, for they spread the belief that there were more important things than the divinity of mankind. Oh yes, they were quite insane. Totally cuckoo, as i believe you youth now say. In the greatest humanitarian project of all times, most of these pests were incinerated. Oh the world must have rejoiced that day.'
    'But one insane scientist helped the plague survive and contaminate a sector far far away'
    </UEEN transmission>

<confederate transmission>
    [​IMG]
    'Howdee folks, I am cowboy Jim, reporting for Confed network, YEEHAW! In our last report, we looked at them darn UPL folks. Well gosh darn it, they were some sick government, slaughtering millions like that. Act like humans were cows, yessirree. But even us rednecks had some use to them apparently, for one of their scientist, Doran Routhe, built four ships, loading them up with thousands of what would later become Terrans. You see, kiddo's, they wanted ta test one o' dem new faster than light drives, and what better ta test stuff with than cannon fodder?
    And then something went wrong with the drives. We missed the planet we were supposed to land, Gantris VI, and flew all the way to the Koprulu sector. Wouldn't surprise me if the UPL pretended never ta know Routhe after that epic fail.
    Then the four supercarriers arrived in Koprulu. The Sarengo crashed into a planet, but the other three ships landed safely on three different planets in the same solar system. The Argo landed on the world of Moria, a big mineral-rich planet. The Reagan landed on the world the Sarengo had flown into earlier, a world called Umoja. And then the Nagglfar landed on the world of Tarsonis, on which the citizens started the mighty confederacy. YEEHAW!
    The Nagglfar was special. It contained something called ATLAS, a supercomputer that were built to help us Terrans build a colony. Usin' the knowledge the UED yanks had given us, the confederacy was able to built space engines, capable of reachin' other worlds within the system, sixty years after the Nagglfar landed.
    On Umoja, a government called the Umojan protectorate had formed. The Umojans were one heck of a primitive bunch when we found them, having stripped the Reagan for materials they needed to survive. It was only after our contact with them that the Umojans began to built themselves a little society.
    On the red planet of Moria, civilization was as dead as on Umoja. But Moria had themselves a special little resource, their rich mineral fields. After Moria heard of the confederacy, them whimps became scared and the two largest corporate groups, the Kelanis Guild and the Morian Mining Coalition, united into what would become something like a government, the Kel-Morian combine.
    The combine was dead-scared of us real man-folk over in the confederacy. The confederacy is lead by the Council of Tarsonis and a senate, although the old families, the descendants of the Nagglfar commanders, held a lot of power as well.
    The guild wars started when the Combine attacked us confederates, with those wimps claiming that us upholding the Terran laws was an attempt to steal Combine mines. The Confederacy and the combine fought for four long years, on mineral rich worlds like Onoru Sigma, Feronis, Turaxis II, Dylar IV and Artesia Prime. Cowboy Jim himself fought on Char, where them bastard Combine threw nukes at us. And through hard work of real men, the Confederacy won the war, taking over the outlying colonies of the clearly unfit Morians. YEEE-
    </confederate transmission>

<liberty>
    [​IMG]
    Hello listeners, this is Michael Liberty, running from the dominion because he dares tell the truth.
    What follows is fact, supported by evidence, no matter what your government tells you.
    The confederacy and the combine were the greatest governments of their time. They were also the nastiest. The confederacy was controlled entirely by the old families, while the corporations held all the power on Moria. The guild wars were nothing more than two corporations fighting over minerals. And even after the Confederation won, the Morian combine simply bought themselves free from all jurisdiction.
    One man however wanted to change things, a man whose legacy would be mutilated horrendously. A man named Angus Mengsk. Angus, with financial support from Umoja, declared his colony, Korhal IV independant. Korhal IV had been one of the oldest colonies of the confederacy, created shortly after warp travel was rediscovered. Of course, the confederacy could not simply look away when one of their core worlds broke off.
    Hoping that it would stop the rebellion, three ghosts were sent to kill Angus Mengsk. But when the protests became worse after this horrendous murder, the confederacy saw only a single way to stop it.
    A thousand apocalypse-class nuclear warheads exploded on the surface, turning Korhal into a nuclear wasteland. But it did something else. It awoke the great beast of our time: Arcturus Mengsk.
    Arcturus had little interest in his father's rebellion, but after the death of his father, he felt the need to avenge his father. Creating the sons of Korhal, a vicious terrorist group, he attacked several Confederacy outposts and allied himself with Umoja. On Umoja he recovered a crashed confederacy battlecruiser, renaming it the Hyperion it became his flagship.
    Just before the start of the great war, Mengsk first encountered the Zerg. He raided the Fujita facility, a science center on the world of Vyctor 5, liberating a powerful female ghost, called Sarah Kerrigan. Kerrigan was used in experimentation with the Zerg, then called Xenomorphs. When trying to escape from the facility, the Hyperion was attacked by the Norad II, the flagship of Edmond Duke. A ghost was sent to kill Mengsk, but Kerrigan managed to kill the ghost, shortly before the Hyperion managed to escape.
    Mengsk saw that the time was ripe for his great strike and he attacked the ghost academy, located on Tarsonis itself. It was this attack that deemed him the greatest threat to the confederacy. But none could imagine what Mengsk would one day achieve.
    </liberty>

to be continued in part 2, which covers both the original game and brood war.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    The only thing that bothers me with this is that you worded it as if you pulled this out of your dutch little arse after some beer or other local speciality. Can I believe all this or is it really a product of some substance?

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

There are some propaganda-like things in there, but i clear those up in the start of the next guy's paragraph.
    And I don't do dutch substances. I was kinda tired though, has nearly the same effect.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    K, then continue. It'd be convenient to have this in one place. Maybe I actually have a chance of catching up with the lore after all. I'm (supposed to be) getting Heaven's Devils so I need some history classes.

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

welcome to another installment of 'A Terran's guide to the actual universe' telling a very real fictional story.

<Jake Ramsey>
    [​IMG]
    As soon as we explored the Koprulu sector, the Terrans knew that they were not the only species in the universe, for on many worlds we found ruins of never-before seen architecture. But it wasn't until the great war that we officially met aliens for the first time.
    It was in November 2499 that the world of Chau Sara, sister world of Mar Sara, had the first open contact with aliens. Unknown to the greater public, the confederacy was studying Zerg specimen on both of these worlds in containment facilities.
    The Zerg, then known as xenomorph, broke out of the Chau Sara facility, known as the Flannum installation, and attacked the city of Los Andares. Alpha squadron, led by general Duke, a member of the old families, and the original Cerberus squad were able to hold off the attack on the city and even destroy the primary hive clusters of the swarm upon the planet.
    But it wasn't enough. Although Duke and the Cerberus Squad commander tried to keep the xenomorph outbreak secret, they were soon disturbed by the attack of another species. The Zerg had planted several spores in the planet surface and from there, spread creep over the entire world surface, forcing anyone capable of it to retreat. But it also attracted the attention of a second species: The Protoss. On December 8th of 2499, Tassadar, executor of the Koprulu expeditionary force, tasked by the Protoss conclave to exterminate the Zerg at all costs, gave the order to destroy the world, and the surface of the world was utterly annihilated.

</Jake ramsey>
    <Magistrate of Mar Sara>
    [​IMG]
    On the 12th of December in 2499, I was appointed to Mar Sara, to calm down the colonists. It still all seemed like a dream. After the complete annihilation of the Terran world of Chau Sara, the Protoss had set course for it's sister world, Mar Sara. The Confederacy had rushed towards the planet with every ship they could muster, but all the Protoss did was identify their commander, executor they called it, as Tassadar, after which they left.
    Mar Sara was utter chaos when I arrived there. The sons of Korhal were fighting on the surface, and the Xenomorphs, you know em as Zerg, had small forces on both the space platform orbiting the planet and on the surface itself. Marshall Raynor, the local law enforcement, had been transporting people from the cities to refugee camps, an action with no apparent justification, yet ordered by general Duke.
    Shortly after meeting with Jim Raynor, we heard of an attack on Brackwater station, and rushed to its aid, despite Duke's insistence that he would take care of it. When we got there, we found an infested command center, one of the first to be sighted. Without a second thought, we burned down the disgusting building, only to receive a transmission from Duke that we were under arrest for destroying Confederacy stuff.
    It soon became apparent that this was not an alien invasion. This was a test of the Confederacy, trying to determine the true strength of the Zerg. All colonial militias were arrested. The confederacy fled from the planet. Only we remained, stuck on this world. Or so we thought. The sons of Korhal had in fact not retreated, and offered to evacuate everyone they could, which wasn't much, but at least there were some survivors.
    And then we had become rebels. Guerrillas. Terrorists. But we all thought this was the right thing to do, as the Confederacy had shown it's true face, that of evil. Before leaving the system, we raided the Jacobs installation, the facility on Mar Sara where the Confederacy had been secretly performing tests on the Zerg, retrieving the plans for what ultimately would be the Confederacies undoing, the psi emitter. Thirteen hours after we left the system, the Protoss fleet warped in once more, and annihilated the world of Mar Sara like they did to Chau Sara.
    Me and Raynor, now commanders in the Sons of Korhal, first met Sarah Kerrigan on the world of Antiga Prime, where we defeated Edmond Duke and his Alpha squad and successfully led the planet in rebellion, starting the great revolution. And when we saved general Duke from the Zerg, having him and Alpha Squadron join us, we had the start of a great army. There were some tensions however, because Duke was a member of the Old Families, the group that ruled the confederacy.
    By the time the Confederacy finally retaliated, it was too late. We had constructed a psi-emitter, and the largest part of Delta Squadron was destroyed. We knew the time was ripe and pushed forward, taking the space station over Tarsonis, defeating the Omega Squadron and the remains of the Delta squadron.
    But as the Confederacy had revealed its true face mere days ago, so did Mengsk now. Instead of conquering the planet, he ordered Kerrigan to plant a psi emitter, attracting the Zerg swarm to overrun the largest Confederacy world and then wait for the Protoss to destroy the planet. But when even the Protoss could not destroy this world in good conscience and instead sent down troops to protect the planet, Mengsk ordered Kerrigan to fight off the Protoss so more Zerg could arrive.
    And then, when the entire Zerg swarm had arrived, Mengsk simply flew away, to go watch the carnage from the orbital platform. Me, Raynor and most of the original Mar Sara militia broke free from the fleet, and, against Mengsk orders, tried to save Kerrigan, but it was too late, she was nowhere to be found. When we flew away again, Mengsk used his new big gun against us; the ion cannon from the Tarsonis orbital platform. We were able to destroy the Ion Cannon and make our escape, stealing Mengsk's flagship, the hyperion, to do it.
    While hiding in the cold darkness of space, we, along with the entire Koprulu sector, received a transmission. Mengsk had won, he had conquered the Confederacy, and even Umoja and Moria allied with him, forming the new dominant government of the Kopurlu sector, the Dominion.
    </magistrate of Mar Sara>

Yes, that is the players character from episode 1 talking in the second part. I'll update again tomorrow.

6. Mako

Mako New Member

I'm pretty sure that the Kel-Morian Combine and Umoja are still their own entity seperate of the Dominions rule. But I may be wrong.

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

They're their own entities, but the close alliance with the two factions was one of the key points at the dominion's set up.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Ok, screw it, my new attempt (now deleted) was even worse. Will try again.