1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Terran's Guide to the Universe

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by MeisterX, Mar 25, 2010.

A Terran's Guide to the Universe

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by MeisterX, Mar 25, 2010.

1. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Even before reading this, my opening had the exact same numbers up until the orbital, since i usually get double gas first to quick tech to factory and thus dont have as many minerals for that many scv.

I've always got a problem with building workers, once I start working on an army, I tend to forget to que up more workers. You know I'm bad with that when many games I dont get above 20 til late game. :/

2. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    Soo, when's the zerg one coming? :D

3. Gforce

Gforce New Member

zerg dont get one, they ate jon's cake.

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    :'( I'm actually pretty close to feeling like I understand Zerg well enough to write one, but I'm not 100% there yet. Might have to enlist FFenix on this one.

I'm also working on Protoss at the same time. I'm surprised how relevant the Terran guide has stayed despite all the patches. :D

5. Hi Jon, Many thanks for the article, very useful for a newb like me. Please can you answer the following question? You say ‘As soon as your third barracks finishes and you have 50 gas build a second tech lab onto your third Barracks. This both prepares you for an upgrade to tanks and gives you sufficient capability to match Marines for Marauders in a 1:3 ratio which is what I find to be most effective.’ As I understand your instructions, at this point you have one Barracks with a Reactor and two with Tech Labs. Assuming the reactor rax is pumping out Marines at 2 every 25 time units and the other two rax are producing 1 Marauder each every 30, wouldn’t this give you a ratio of 1.2:1 Marines for Marauders, rather than 1:3? Many thanks for your time & the hard work you put in to compile your excellent guide.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well honestly this article was written before the Marines were nerfed to a longer build time so that kind of throws off my ratio. However, I would still suggest the 1 Reactor to 2 Tech Labs setup because at 100 gas you're not going to have enough gas to build Marauders at a 1.2:1 ratio. So you'll still be closer to 3:1.

7. soulsimon

soulsimon Guest

very good article, but how many SCVs would you have in your main when you expand?And do you keep making SCVs?If then how many?

8. Opinion

This was a wonderful article. It gave me a few good tips for my opening game strategies. I've been using the wall strategy for some time but I go about it a little differently and I have actually had good luck with it though I'm not sure if it would hold up as a good strategy in tougher leagues.

If you don't mind, I'd like your opinion on it.

I open pretty much the same way, walling off the choke zone with two supply depots and a barracks, but that barracks gets a reactor. My next two barracks are built inside the main base, and both get tech labs. I then proceed to mass produce SCVs, marines, and reapers. The marines serve primarily as base defense and exploratory soldiers while I build up reapers, and stack on attack/defense bonuses from an engineering bay, then when I have a 2:1 army of reapers and marines I usually go in for the first attack, which has usually been quite successful for me.

I've been playing with the idea of an initial attack of 3:1 reaper/marauder army but that would cost too much vespene gas to get out quickly enough. I dunno. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm just sitting there spamming marines.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well my first issue with your build is that if you build your Reactor as part of your wall you're leaving it rather vulnerable. And that's your most valuable addon. It costs 50/50 and takes forever to build and it's effectively a second Barracks. You don't want to let your opponent have an easy pot-shot at taking that out. That's why I suggest you use the tech lab as part of your wall.

Secondly, I don't know why you're going late Reapers. I assume you're playing in a lower level league. Reapers are effective only against Tier 1 units so it's really not a great idea to use them as your main push. If you're going to use Reapers you should use them fairly early when your opponent has only Tier 1 units, or you can use them as a mid-game harasserment by getting their speed upgrade. Doesn't work very good against Zerg through as speedlings are faster than even upgraded Reapers.

10. You're right. I am low-tier. I'm still getting the hang of Starcraft II, and it's not going as well as I'd like it to. I just need more practice and I need to do some more research on units and strategies and what-not. I'll get it eventually though, especially if I find some more articles like yours on Terrans.

11. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    Great guide, Thank you very much.. After about 150 Protoss games I decided to switch races and pick up Terran. ;D

12. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Jon, Now that the first phase of Beta is complete and nobody will be able to play Beta til Blizz sets it back up for phase two. Are you going to make a guide for Zerg and Protoss while we wait for phase two?

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yup yup yup. I think I have my research all done for the Zerg and Protoss play guides.

14. TSO

TSO New Member

New York
    This is a really awesome thread!! I've been thinking which race I want to start off with when I get Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty and I figured since it's based around Terran I should start with them. I've seen every video Husky and HD have put up on Youtube and I've watched them many times a piece trying to figure out how to do a basic build without the actual game in front of me.

And then I saw this and was like wow, the game is right in front of me and it's spelled out too!! This helps me a lot on planing what I should do and how to do it.

Really well done!

15. garfieldodie

garfieldodie New Member

HK
    i was wondering that para about repare the PF when attacked except for those following cases.

Why shouldn't u repare the PF when attacked by high templar?(I thought it was dark templar)

ATTENTION: A NEWBIE (me) said this

16. Sawwz

Sawwz New Member

Great guide! Has helped me a lot versus friends, and I'm sure when I finally muster the nerve to go online it will help a lot as well! Thanks for taking the time to write this, didn't realize how much I was doing wrong.