1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big changes to Battle.net forums!

Discussion in 'General StarCraft 2 Discussion' started by Seradin, Jul 6, 2010.

Big changes to Battle.net forums!

Discussion in 'General StarCraft 2 Discussion' started by Seradin, Jul 6, 2010.

1. HuxleyStronghead

HuxleyStronghead New Member

Some time ago I did a lot of crap in the European WoW forums. That was before I became a "Stronghead", if you know what I mean. Anyways, I'm very happy that old posts won't be getting a Real ID, as far as I could understand. This gives me a chance for a fresh start. But the real reason why I left the WoW forums were the crappy forum features. No links, no images, etc...

However, I just trust Blizzard to do the right thing. And we will see after Real ID gets month old whether or not it was a good idea. We seem to be part of a huge experiment! :D

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It's important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as the ability to rate posts up or down, post highlighting based on rating, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard's success from the beginning.

So, looks like they will make it optional due to the negative feedback they were getting from b.net users

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

well, there were insane amounts of negative feedback, theres no doubt about that.

4. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

I mean even if bloody Pharynghula chips in with MULTIPLE posts you know that things are getting serious.

5. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    You must think Kevin Smith is the angriest man alive. There are other reasons people swear than to express anger. Again, my point of how words can be easily misconstrued when they only appear as text on a screen is proven... by you. Of course, you completely ignore all of that in your rebuttal.

First of all, you are only addressing one of many factors I mentioned.

Second, what you are quoting me on was clearly about why flaming occurs and how it is not all due to anonymity as you claimed. You are trying to twist my point to make it seem as though it was used to back up the second issue in discussion of why people commit violent acts due to petty internet fights. I supported the notion of people doing such things with the fact that there are mentally unstable people with internet access.

Either you have low critical reading skills or you are intentionally trying to weaken my point via deception. Yes, I am calling you either a dimwit or a liar.
    EDIT: I take that last bit back. Perhaps you are not a native English speaker.

That is based on blind faith and speculation. I'm not gonna bother trying to tell you why you shouldn't be anywhere near positive again.

Clearly you value privacy far less than most of the rest of us. It's a question of personal matter, so no one can argue for or against either way.

Although what you say doesn't make much sense to me. Those are Blizzard's privately owned boards. They can do whatever they like with them short of posting national secretes. I don't see how you make the leap from a privatively owned server to all of the privately owned servers of the entire world. Enforcement of such a thing would, at least in America, be unconstitutional and wouldn't go over well at all.

Again, the cause is not the hobby. The cause is mental illness. Some people cannot handle anger, some people are sociopaths, some people are down right insane.

The violent behavior is triggered when the off-balanced person feels they have been unjustifiably wronged and the seek revenge.

Maybe someone beat them at SC2 and gloated on the boards.
    Maybe the "crazy" is a chef and someone sends back a dish.
    Maybe someone cuts them off on the highway.
    Maybe someone bumps into them and doesn't apologize...bam punch in the face.

I've worked with someone with anger issues, it took little to set him off. If you didn't know how to calm him down, aside from myself I know of only one other person that was regulatory successful trying, he would very quickly turn to violence and screaming.

So, you admit to having a narrow scope of the situation and are happy to continue to support your stance despite willful ignorance.

Thanks, I now know there is no reason to try and debate this with you. The fact you are ignoring many of my points and misrepresenting my statements should of been enough.

Also, thank you Eon for posting the Blue. Thank you Blizz for listening to your fans.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    You don't generally swear from what I can tell from your posts, so you doing so obviously means you have been thrown off of your general stance, hence my response. And about language, there are so many incorrect things in your posts that I don't think you'd want to go there :D

As for my limited scope, why can't I support something if I don't know every little detail about it? Do you honestly just stare at someone without answering their question of which item to choose if you don't know every little detail about it? Sorry, I have a life and better things to do than do research on every single question I have to take side in.

And yes, I'm ignoring most of your points because even if you don't admit it, you're frustrated and you can't post constructively because of it, so your posts don't deserve the attention you think they should get.

As for the topic, I don't think I've ever given my full real name on a forum, but I do think it gives a more serious character to it. I used to play LFS back in the day and there a serious tournament would require your screen name to be your real name (though your licence nick was also there but primarily it was the screen name that showed up in-game), and I've taken part in such tournaments, and those tournaments were very high quality with live stream and commentary and everything, and I think it was due to the skills of the racers and the real names displayed.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  7. Mako

Mako New Member

Its clash of the titans all over again --- or should I say crash of the titans god that was a bad movie....

8. HuxleyStronghead

HuxleyStronghead New Member

Maybe their are going to try a softer approach? For now it will be optional, but maybe later when it proves not to be such a problem, it will be a must again.

9. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Re-read it then you'll understand.

Well in small amounts it does nothing I agree. But if you get hundreds of pages of QQ even Blizzard slowly starts to take notice. And the evidence of that is the blue post reposted above in this topic.

I don't agree with this practice. And you saying I do is wrong.

My whole point is now the Blizzard forums are a farce at the best of times and something needs to be done about it. I'm sure 99.99% of the QQ of the official forums was I don't like the change. I doubt if anyone proposed a better solution to the problem. And if they did it's probably buried under a mountain of QQ.

10. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

LOL. That made really laugh out loud. I'm kinda the same way. Thats why I've been IP banned a few times.

11. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    lol. I was a douche.