1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blizzard and console gaming

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by RHStag, Dec 19, 2009.

Blizzard and console gaming

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by RHStag, Dec 19, 2009.

1. RHStag

RHStag New Member

Blizzard Will 'Definitely Work On A Console Game At Some Point'

Massively successful PC MMO World of Warcraft is celebrating its fifth anniversary, while the over-arching Warcraft real-time strategy franchise has been around for 15 years now. At the core of both properties: The PC market.

We reflect with Samwise Didier, senior director of StarCraft II and art director of the first three Warcraft games, and J. Allen Brack, production director for World of Warcraft, on Blizzard's storied history in our latest Gamasutra feature, and part of the discussion deals with how the company sees the state of the PC business.

"I don't see the PC market as being bad. I mean, we didn't have 12 million players ten years ago," says Didier. "Whatever the format, console or PC, I think if there is a good game, it's going to be played."

"We're working on PC because it's familiar to us and it's relatively easy and it's not changing formats every other year and there aren't three different versions," he continues. "Console, we have to worry about [those things]. I think the PC is really a good market to target."

Brack says he's aware that there's a perception that Blizzard -- which has made only PC games for 15 years -- is somehow "anti-console": "That's absolutely not the case," he says. "We just want to make the right game for the right platform."

"Think about StarCraft II," says Brack. "Some real-time strategy games have tried to happen on the console. Some of those have been successful, but overall, our experience is that it's going to be a better game on the PC, ergo it's developed on the PC."

Same with WoW, Brack adds, a game developed for the PC and with a PC-centric control scheme. "But we're a company of gamers," he says. "I have two consoles at home. Sam has consoles. We're a culture of gamers. We will definitely work on a console game at some point. I have no doubt about that. It's just [a matter of] what game. What makes the most sense?"

Source:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26573/Blizzard_Will_Definitely_Work_On_A_Console_Game_At_Some_Point.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    "Yeah, we might do some stuff in the future."
    /Vagueness

3. DiablosDungeon

DiablosDungeon New Member

Blizz has been teasing console gaming for years. This is really nothing new.

4. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Maybe the whole blackthorne experience was not too good for them :)

5. RHStag

RHStag New Member

That was a great game though!

6. HuxleyStronghead

HuxleyStronghead New Member

I have the feeling it will never happen. Though, if they were to make an FPS game, they may find a big enough audience. Doom 3 or the upcoming Rage, they run on consoles too. But of course, id Software is full of tech geeks, they can port their games in the first place.