1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blizzard's new IP: what do you want it to be?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by asdf, Jan 16, 2010.

Blizzard's new IP: what do you want it to be?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by asdf, Jan 16, 2010.

1. asdf

asdf New Member

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174216

this is old news, but since blizz has announced an entirely new franchise for their next MMO, what are you guys hoping it'll be?

we've already got 2 medieval/fantasy worlds from them, and SC covers the alien/scifi. there's really 2 that i'm hoping for:

1. another scifi, but more inter-planetary (instead of having the game on the surface of various planets). kind of like EVE online, but less of a grindfest...

2. steampunk. set in an alternate-reality present day or something. i just love steampunk.

2. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I actually believe they will be making an Original IP MMO launch that is a combination of Steampunk and Fantasy that is a mixture of all of their collective work. Blizzard is one company that really has strategy games marked out. Therefore I think this new one will encompass more strategy in the sense of altering the fabric of the game as a player.

3. Gforce

Gforce New Member

something good, cant ask for more then that.

4. the8thark

the8thark New Member

We are all assuming every Blizzard work is about one PC killing a horde of NPCs. It might be a non-violent MMO. I dunno something like the sims online? I dunno. Whatever is it I'm sure it will be good. Well in my opinion Blizzard only missed the mark once.

5. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    hey that`s so boring.... sims like environment...

6. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Maybe boring to you. But millions of others bought the sims. And I'm sure Blizzard could make it interesting.

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

you realize 50% of the sims players enjoy killing their characters?

8. Gforce

Gforce New Member

its funny, i used to burn the house down.

9. asdf

asdf New Member

yeah, i think that's why the sims is so popular. it lets everyone release their inner arsonist/murderer/torturer/sadist/pedophile/pimp/serial rapist. honestly, who plays a video game so they can pretend to be a civil, law-abiding citizen working 9-5?

10. Tarnakin

Tarnakin Guest

I used to build a wall around them :p

Anyway, a post-apocalyptic theme would be nice, but since blizzard's next mmo is targeting broader audience she won't go there. Hopefully, the developers will be more decisive on the game design.

The death of the game for me would be the integration of facebook or twitter with the game, either it is in-game or via the official site.

11. RHStag

RHStag New Member

I don't see how you can target a 'broader' audience (broader than WoW I assume?) when the game is going to be a Sci Fi/fantasy MMO.

Surely a mix of Sci Fi and Fantasy isn't considered to be that appealing to the public of casual (i.e. 'broad audience') gamers?

Edit: I can't even imagine Blizzard making a 'casual' game. That's just not their style.

12. asdf

asdf New Member

i certainly hope it's not casual. casual generally implies only spending a few minutes on it at a time, i want a world with proper lore and development and such. what blizz does well is draw people in and make sure the game's fun. i mean, before WoW, MMO's were the real of the geek. sure, people still consider WoW players geeky but it's definitely got a broad audience. i trust that blizz can make a game that has broad appeal without being a "casual" game.

13. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    New themes other than fantasy/space/demonic? What about...

Cybercraft. An futuristic MMO fantasizing what kind of ultra hi-tech post-industrial world would grow with the discovery of limitless fusion energy. The natural world slowly gets displaced with urbanisation and overpopulation. Cities are a blur of skyscrapers, flying cars and smog. Cybernetic enhancement is common place.

It would be game with realistic economics, with free markets. There are no merchants, just other players and their little empires. But there can be factions or gangs who you gain reputation with by completing black market missions and performing other underworldly antics.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. HuxleyStronghead

HuxleyStronghead New Member

... and/or having an entire cybernetic race. I would name my character Microtron. :D

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

steampunk RPG/FPS taking place in the sky

16. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Easy.

How about a 1900 to say 1930's era game about gang land wars. Basically a Mafia based game. Whereit's your job to rise up through the ranks of a Mafia family and in the end become the head of said family along the way doing and organising various criminal acts to provide funds. And other players would start out in their own Mafia families. And yes you could become friends with another Mafia family or go to war with them.

And the usual taking down a target, giving the cops the slip, inventing/discovering new ways to do your crimes, hiding the evidence and intra family poltiics would be there.

17. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    Racial Fps MMO (or at least an mmo map)
    where you spawn in your race's biggest city, and all that gives you something is killing other players and trading.
    The cities are to be conquerable, and the different cities all have their uniqe kind of resource sold by NPC's, if you want the other kinds of resources, you will eighter have to steal from the other race's base(s), trade with someone from their side.
    And for the cross-race trading should be able to work, you'll be able to chat with them if you are close enough/some "white flag"-ish mechanic.

18. Egocentric

Egocentric New Member

Romania
    Something like Hellgate London mixed with Darkfall would be awesome with a bit of Aion Vision graphics and social system.