1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo 3 Storyline

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Wlck742, Jun 28, 2008.

Diablo 3 Storyline

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Wlck742, Jun 28, 2008.

1. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i wonder if any one here has read the novals??

2. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Proud owner of all of 'em.

Haven't read any in a while though. I reread books often.

3. bigboozie

bigboozie Guest

Diablo 3 story

(No disclaimer on this one, this is all my work, I've been pondering this for a while, reading through some of the lore, and you can find this post on the diablo fan website as well, under same username bigboozie.)

OK, I see that a lot of you guys are missing some crucial elements here, so let me present my version of the facts, and if you don’t buy the whole package, I’m sure you’ll find at least some interesting observations:

1.) The destruction of the Worldstone
    So if you guys remember, the Worldstone was in fact created in order to hide the existence of Sanctuary to both Heaven and Hell, as well as to limit the enormous powers of the Nephalem, an offspring of angel and demon, more powerful than both. These powered-down superheroes then became what we know today to be mortal men. So basically, the destruction of the Worldstone means 1 very good thing and 1 very bad thing: a.) We humans are going to kick ass now since our powers will no longer be limited by that rock b.) The legions of the Burning Hells (and Heaven btw, but more of that latter...) will be able to freely rampage across the mortal realm of Sanctuary.

2.) The role of Tyrael
    After having made the above observations, one can be led to seriously question the motives Tyrael had for destroying the Worldstone. You all surely recall that it was Tyrael who forged the Soulstones and gave them to the Horadrim so that they could hunt down and capture the Prime Evils. However, before the forging of the Soulstones, Tyrael revealed their secret to his lieutenant, Izual, who, coincidentally, was captured by the armies of Hell shortly after, and, in Diablo 2, admits that under torture he revealed the secret of the Soulstones to the Prime Evils. We are therefore forced to conclude that Tyrael knew his lieutenant Izual (and by consequence, his valuable secret) was compromised at the time he gave the Soulstones to the Horadrim wizards. Now this leaves us with a difficult choice: a.)Tyrael is a dumbass (not good for Blizzard...) or b.) Tyrael is in league with the Prime Evils (waaaayyyy coooller..) STOP!!!! Hold on a second, that makes no sense!!?? Why on earth would Tyrael, an archangel of the Angiris Council, be in league with the Prime Evils? Well, as you may recall from Diablo lore, Tyrael despised mortals, and thought them to be an abomination, as they were a mixture of angel and demon blood. Yet, it is written that when the vote was cast amongst the Angiris Council members to see whether or not Sanctuary should be destroyed (by Heaven, no less... so much for our “benefactors”), Tyrael “pitied” the humans and his vote saved Sanctuary. I don’t buy that, especially when you consider that even if he had voted for the destruction of Sanctuary, the vote would’ve been a tie, so he wouldn’t have been able to destroy it. Instead, Tyrael found out a way to destroy Sanctuary by relying on the Prime Evils, thus not having to expose his vote to the Angiris Council, which by now is convinced of Tyrael’s good will towards mortals. Tyrael needed a pretext to destroy the Worldstone first, so that the legions of Hell could march upon Sanctuary and destroy it. Thus, he forged the Soulstones out of the same rock that makes up the Worldstone (sorry guys, Blizzard doesn’t name two completely different items similarly without there being some kind of connection), in order to empower the demons to a.) have a strong foot in the mortal realm and b.) corrupt the Worldstone by drawing on the powers of the Soulstones (which makes sense cos they’re from the same piece of rock). Going even further, I don’t buy that the Prime Evils were defeated by the Lesser Evils. No, I think they came to Sanctuary of their own literally goddamn free will, but had to make it look like they had been banished because they couldn’t afford to have the Angiris Council suspect that they had a plan for Sanctuary. To summarize: Tyrael no like humans, Tyrael no like demons either, but demons want destroy Sanctuary, and Tyrael want destroy Sanctuary, so Tyrael make Soulstones and give to demons so they can corrupt Worldstone, so Tyrael can destroy Worldstone, so Demons can destroy Sanctuary. It should be all coming together by now... So, what’s going to happen in Diablo 3 then?

3.) The Return of Evil
    Oh yea... BIGTIME!!! With the Wordlstone destroyed, Sanctuary is pretty much an open playground to whoever/whatever from Hell (or Heaven, but I won’t spoil the big conspiracy theory until later) wants to go play. And I’m not talking about the physical incarnations of demons in the mortal realm here guys (which is what we’ve been fighting so far), I’m talking about the actual bad guys coming up here! Who cares that the Soulstones were destroyed? All that did was banish the souls of the Prime Evils from the mortal realm. Now the very essence of Diablo’s being can be summoned into Sanctuary, in its truly awesome, powerful, player-defeating form. Hence the ball of fire that will drop from the sky and land at the cathedral beneath Tristram, where Diablo lay for thousands of years, slowly corrupting the very fabric of reality around him, so that when the time came for the legions of Hell to enter Sanctuary, they could do so through the corrupted church. In Diablo 3, we’ll probably see a first wave of lesser demons arrive, followed by Azmodan and Belial, and as in Diablo 2 we’ll do the whole thing where we pursue these dudes and kill them only just late enough so that they still accomplished what they set out to do (kind of like Diablo frees Baal and Mephisto and Mephisto opens the portal to Hell and Baal corrupts the Worldstone but we kill these guys only AFTER they’ve managed to do all that... thanks Blizzard that’s the way to keep things interesting!) which, in Diablo 3, amounts to the summoning of the Prime Evils to Sanctuary. Yes... the actual Prime Evils, not just their physical forms twisted by vile magic (like Diablo’s form was the corrupted hero, Baal’s was the corrupted Tal Raasha, and Mephisto the corrupted Zakarum priest). Think we’re screwed? You have no idea...

4.) And the Heavens shall Tremble...
    And tremble they shall... especially when Tyrael realizes that the Three Brothers have more in mind for Sanctuary than its destruction. This realization may in fact have come during Diablo 2, which is why Tyrael might’ve decided to stop the Prime Evils and help you defeat them (though he failed miserably in Tal Raasha’s tomb). Experience has inexorably shown that humans are more vulnerable to demonic corruption than they are susceptible of turning to join the strict discipline and rigor of the Light, especially after the world has been tainted by the presence of the Prime Evils for so long. What Tyrael probably didn’t realize is that when he gave these guys the three fragments from the Worldstone, they sensed through them the power of the Nephalem that was being kept bound within the rock. Devising a new, devious plan, the Prime Evils set forth to corrupt the mortal realm and claim the powers of the Nephalem for their own. With all Hell on Sanctuary, it would only be a matter of time before the Prime Evils could acquire a power so great that it would prove to be the ultimate weapon in the age-long war between Heaven and Hell. When Tyrael realizes the breadth of his mistake, he’s going to have to do some cleaning up... archangel style. And the best way to prevent the Prime Evils from ever acquiring the power of the Nephalem, is for Tyrael to finish what he originally set out to do: the destruction of Sanctuary

5.) The Wrath of Heaven
    And we come to it at last... the great battle on Sanctuary for the power of the Nephalem will ultimately decide the outcome of the war between Angels and Demons. Men will have to face unfathomable odds to fight for their survival, since no matter which side wins, we lose. The heroes will have to search deep within themselves (or around Sanctuary, who knows, up to you Blizzard design team) to free the ancient powers that rest within all of us. Ultimately, we are more powerful than Angels or Demons, and it falls to us to defend our mortal realm from being destroyed as a result of a war we want no part in. How much bloodshed has been wrought upon our world because of this arbitrary war between Heaven and Hell? How much more suffering and Death will we take before we rise up against the horrors of Hell and the tyrannical manipulative schemes of Heaven? In the end, it will fall to us humans to destroy the Prime Evils, destroy Tyrael The Deceiver, and thus make it clear to both Heaven and Hell that we want no more part in their never-ending war.