1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Space Pirate Rojo, Oct 26, 2008.

Diablo

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Space Pirate Rojo, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Yeah, I like diablo 1 better. In D2 you run into mobs burst into a killing frenzy. In D1, you actually had to use doors and try to either bottleneck a mob or spread them apart. There were more survival tactics.

2. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    yeah, it is tougher.. ish, but the problem for me was it is too monotonous
    Every level looks the same, only one city, the monsters are pretty much alike... even diablo itself's design lets you down.
    I understand it's a really old game, but in D2 you had soooo much more variety... idk, that's kinda what it made my decition on these games.

Anyways, Im not a big fan of the series, Im not even sure Imma buy D3... My bro loves that kind of games anyways, Im more of a Rts-Rpg type... thos hack n slash rpgish never were my style

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    That's because it is randomized in the single player if you'll get either the Poison Water Supply quest or Butcher quest. I don't remember if you could get both quests during single player, and i don't remember if you could get the Poison Water Supply quest during multiplayer.

It's been a very long time since I played Diablo 1, so I don't remember exactly how quests differed between single player and multi player modes.

4. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Diablo 2 almost had too much variety, although I find myself liking the constant changes in World of Warcraft.

It seemed to me just as you were getting to like the people in so and so Act, you kill the boss, yay, bye, and off to the next Act.

Diablo 1 is nice with that. You're in the fading town of Tristram, there's a few stranded people that you get to know while you help them with their huge problem that could (and does, thanks Mr. Soulstone in forehead) spread beyond the town.

And the monsters are alike? Hm.

Each level mixes up a little bit.

For instance, level 1 has Zombies, Skeletons, these rabid little lizard demons, and Fallen Ones.

Level 2 gives those monsters a kick in the butt, upgrades them, and if I can remember back a half hour, the flying little imps.

Level 3 takes on more of an undead theme what with King Leoric's reanimated corpse running around, I think. Funny how I play it so much today and remember so little.

Level 4 brings on clans of Goat Men.

Then the catacomb section brings in acid spitting demons, huge bipedal mother ****ers with rhino horns, warped demons that look rather human, but flee to turn invisible and jump you again.

Then the caves haul in lava demons... and whatever I didn't see due to my awesome death.

Then you're in Hell itself apparently with topless succubi, huge hellish knights completely covered head to toe in plate, and rather harmless looking old men in eccentric robes that hurl fireballs like there's no tomorrow.

Edit for Eon:

Ohhhhh. I thought it was Poisoned Water Supply or Curse of King Leoric.

And so far... single player has the actual unique drops from quest bosses. Like the Cleaver and Undead Crown.

Like, I've had the Cleaver and Undead Crown.

And the quests I've done in single player I've yet to see in Multiplayer are Poisoned Water Supply, Valor, Chamber of Bone, Gharbad the Weak (if he can be considered a quest if not a sub-boss), Zhar the Mad (see Gharbad).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I thought there's like 1 quest that's not in multi, forgot which one would it be.

One of the things I like in D1 is that most of the bosses are cool in their own way, which I didn't feel at all in D2. Gharbad, Snotspill, Zhar all these guys were awesome.
    Diablo's design a let down? Well, the other way for me. Sure the one in D2 was huge and all, but when he started running around on fours like a puppy...

Also Willy, haven't got Halls of the Blind yet?

6. Charmed

Charmed New Member

Hmmm..for me Diablo 2 is tougher..I compare based on my experience as playing Sorcerer in Diablo 1 and Sorceress in Diablo 2.

In Diablo 1, all my Sorcerer need is to have level 1 mana shield and I m close to invincible. It absorbs 100% damage and so my life bulb is never affected. Also if I m not mistaken for every 3 damage I received, I will only lost 2 mana. As for the Butcher, he's never a big threat to me. All i have to do is to advance to higher levels and kill him when I am become strong myself. If you insist to kill him at low level, it can be easily be done by manipulating his idiotic AI. I find spellbooks in Diablo 1 nice as in I just have to find those books or purchase them from Adria. I dun have to spend any of my limited points. Also Diablo 1 is very small and therefore comparatively easier in this sense.

As for Diablo 2, energy shield sucks as in u need to be spend alot of points to make it effective. Even then it has a cap of 95% and it can't absorb open wounds and poison. With the introduction of synergy in v1.10, it makes playing Sorceress more difficult as you will have to specialize alot and hence immunities problem is even worse than Diablo 1. When it comes to utilizing spells, Sorcerer r better than their female counterparts since u can learn as many spells as u can so long u have the book n enuf magic requirement. As for monsters, I find Duriel much worse than the Butcher. In early games he can slow you down and charge at you in a very small area. Also i must kill him b4 I can proceed to act 3 unlike the Butcher. There are more annoying monsters in Diablo 2 like the dolls in act 3, fire enchanted monsters so powerful and gloams with lightning..Quick death sometimes..

Diablo 1

+ More interesting quests and will provide unique items!!!
    + Nice spellbook system
    + Has very powerful spells like mana shield n apocalypse

- cannot run
    - too small
    - too few characters
    - limited items

Diablo 2

+ Better features
    + More items (uniques, sets n runeword)
    + Bigger ( more fun as more bosses to slaughter)
    + More characters

- too many immunity to elements monsters
    - limited quest (love randomly generated quest)
    - tight points for skill tree
    - lots of bugs

I think the only thing good thing good for Sorceress as compare to Sorcerer is the ability to regenerate mana n the abiliity to carry sheilds. Otherwise Sorcerer is relatively better..Maybe playing warrior will be more challenging...

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    You... pretty much summed it up. Badass Charmed.

Meee: I was pretty alarmed to find he would run after and catch up at me. Nothing scarier than a Prime Evil chasing behind you, eating up ground faster than you can.

Also, Halls of the Blind? Is that in the Catacombs or Caves? Because I died horribly in the first level of the Caves and got punted back to level 14 in the Catacombs.

8. Banned

Banned New Member

THIS.
    Is why. I am. How I am. D:

9. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

You have to love the music in D1.

The moans and groans all around you when you were in a dungeon gave you a sense of being surrounded and constant danger. The sound of Tristam's music was symbolic, peace for the moment, but knowing you will face danger again soon. This game was more psychological than D2.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  10. Banned

Banned New Member

Gah, Tristram's theme is just.. It's simply amazing. And it's not exactly like Blizzard was how it is today. Metzen is a vampire. The cathedral was always memorable, for me at least. I liked the powerful little percussion bits, and of course the inhuman screaming every few minutes. Just set me on edge, especially when I know Leoric's coming up. Not much on the catacombs, I never really got down there in Single Player, and my friends are too busy dying with laughter over Skype to hear, but you know, I think the Cavern levels were the best. There was very little music, mostly quiet, some zombie-like groaning to set you on edge, and then out of nowhere you just get this badass guitar riff. Always made me jump.

11. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    GUYS LET ME DUPE MY 5000 GOLD BEFORE I HAVE TO GET OFF.

God. Carter.

And yeah, in the Catacombs in the song there's a man chanting or something.

Eerieeeeeee.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Willy, make sure you die so that you can't defeat Diablo. If you defeat him.... YOU'LL BECOME HIM!!!

I wonder what would have happened if they made Diablo1 too hard to beat. That way no-one would have been able to defeat him so there would never have been a Diablo2.

Also, the only viable character to beat Diablo1 as is the Warrior, as he's the one who becomes Diablo himself. The Sorcerer becomes The Summoner and the Rogue, apart from being female which the Dark Wanderer is not, becomes Bloodraven.

Lastly, the only viable character to beat Diablo2 as is the Barbarian, as he's returning in person. He's actually already defeated the Evils in Diablo2.

13. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Which makes me wonder...

What happens to the Druid, Assassin, Barbarian, Necromancer, Amazon, Paladin, and Sorceress?

It may be cheap on Blizzard's part... but I hope they're corrupted and are a bunch of bosses.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Logically they should have never have existed, as it was the Barbarian who defeated the Prime Evils.

15. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    ...That hitns me to checking the D3 site again, because apparently I missed that part on the Barbarian.

Or it's common sense because he's the only one returning.

16. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I once fought him with amazon just shooting homing arrows from far away, didn't even see him for most of the fight :D
    And Diablo in 1 was scary too if you were unprepared. You try running away from him and run into darkness which wasn't there before*

Halls are in catacombs, the quest itself is meh, but it has awesome poem in the book that activates it. Especially read by that guy who voices all the books in D1, he's amazing.

Wanna try something awesome? On the last level unlike in D2, Diablo is there all the time, just sealed in his chamber. Get phasing spell (or some scrolls) and don't pull any levers just stand near his chamber and try to phase inside. See how long you can last :D

*I may have made that one up

17. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Yeap, the narrator for Diablo is amazing.

Something... Campbell I think his name is.

And I don't know how high I'm going to raise my Warrior's Magic, but I'll try if I get my Sorcerer down there.

18. Charmed

Charmed New Member

I dunno where u get this news from but I am afraid it might not be true. Just becoz the barbarians are returning in Diablo 3 doesn't mean that he was the one who is responsible for the defeat of the Prime Evils.

Cain's journal indicates that in Diablo 2, a group of heroes work together in order to defeat the Prime Evils. Presumably it could be the combination of all 7 heroes from Lord of Destruction. It could be possible that the barbarians are the one who vanquish the Prime Evils but even then he should have some assistance from the other heroes. So no lone rangers in Diablo 2. It could also be possible that the other six went insane / dead after defeating Baal while the Barbarian flee / wasn't able to be involve in the final conflict.

Alas perhaps Blizzard could elaborate more abt the characters. Corrupted characters might sound cool but if all six were to be corrupted, it will be lame...

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Lore-wise, the Barbarian in Diablo3 is the exact same person as the Barbarian in Diablo2. And in singleplayer, which is basically the storyline version of Diablo as multiplayer purely consists of PVP and Tirst runs, Tomb runs, etc, etc, only one hero would have defeated the Prime Evils. And that's definitely the case with Diablo1, as I don't think there was any multiplayer.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  20. Charmed

Charmed New Member

Yes the barbarian in diablo 3 is the same as the one in diablo 2. The game play is different from the actual story line. The single player mode is just meant for someone who doesn't have internet or lan. If Blizzard were to force all players to go battle net just becoz the story is suppose to be completed by more than 1 players, u can bet many ppl will be piss off. If it is true that only the barbarians existed as the hero, how would u explain that Blizzard allows players to party in order to defeat the prime evils.

U go to the blizzard site for diablo 3. In there Cain did mention that there is more than 1 hero who has been chasing the dark wanderer, saving him n killing the Prime Evils n etc.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/lore/journal.xml