1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you also experience a shuffle music issue?

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Tech Support' started by Kloppstock, Aug 7, 2010.

Do you also experience a shuffle music issue?

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Tech Support' started by Kloppstock, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

Good Morning

I have lived with a pretty disturbing music issue in SC2 since purchase.
    I will basically only hear music the first 5 minutes of a new started campaign mission, my analyse is that receiving incoming transmissions and special scripted tension music causes a problem when this small happenings interfere with the standard music

Cause when the script music have executes its little dance, the standard music does not !! return and take over after, the music will in fact be gone from the rest of the mission, the only thing that will keep returning is the script music if there are such programmed into the mission, otherwise im stuck listening to just the "winds" and "mooing" wild-turkeys

computer spec:
    AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 3.1 GHz
    4 Gb ram (3.25 available)
    Windows XP-32 Service Pack 3
    Soundcard : Sound Blaster X-FI Audio (driver version: 2. 18. 13)

However X-FI is disabled as primary audio device in behalf of
    Cyper Snipa 5.1 Surround Headphones: "USB Multi Channel Audio Device"

...that works flawless in all other games i have

I have played around with the in-game sound settings
    changing to "default" changing to "surround" changing to "stereo" nothing seems to brings shuffle music to my game.
    It complicates it a bit when the music is this integrated into the saved game you make during the missions, so reloading a save game will begin without music if you saved during no music, in my case that will be a moment 22 that will never start anything new.

This system differs alot from all previous Blizzard games, where a loaded save allays bringed back the music that started with the mission.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    ...um, by default the option in sounds "continuous music" is turned off. Did you try turning that on?

3. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

Yes i did all from the start, this screen shot attached was supposed to be in this topic in the first place, but fell away cause of me :wubclub:

so i guess you don't experience long silent music breaks in your game play then? well that's interesting info to start with

Attached Files:

4. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

Its really frustrating this, i just played "Welcome to the jungle" and i hade music for 2 songs in a row as usual, then the Protoss assmaster started to burp threats in the megaphone...after that all went silent when it comes to musical, and the saved game make sure it keept itself silent also

And now i have once again played like this for 30 minutes only :) i have seen this pattern on every campaign mission so far you see...but it getting worse and worse for each mission now it seems, on the first missions i could become happy if music returned after 10 minutes at least! but that's not even the case any longer

I have posted this a Battle-net's EU forum, and im not getting any answers from Blizzards them self...what i have got is a reply fron another player who experience the same issue, so im wery interested how many no musicians we can gather to a powerful objection :p

5. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    I'm wondering if the option works differently between campaign and single player? I'll have to try paying more attention to it (my primary problem). I'll look into it today on my buddies machine. May be hard for me to duplicate the problem without a 5.1+

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  6. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

Yeah do a checkup please...you don't need to test 5.1 con-fig though, I just tested with Sound Blaster X-FI as primary device instead, and setted 2.0 speakers for windows, and stereo in game settings
    there is no change anyhow, everything is still silent, this problem must sit inside the previous save game in my book? it would bee fun if somebody who have blizzard contacts could read this..

I would suggest as a mutual experiment, that you load the campaign mission "welcome to the jungle" from the beginning, and then see if the music will takeover after you´have received the first incoming transmission from the protoss executor :jimlad: and do some saves on the mission also, to show you that the loading system does not restart the music from zero, if you save when its silent...it will load as silent to

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

I can inform now that i have inspected my friends Starcraft 2 installation, and the music do shuffle correct on
    mission "welcome to the jungle" he happen to have a Sound Blaster X-FI Audio also, only difference is that he have 7.1 speakers, but earlier on he where forced to use 2.0 like i do now, and the music floated well there to

so my conclusion is that either Blizzard will release some patch that will pull the system requirement pressure down, cause everything now points towards that this issue of mine is connected to my lack
    of "page pool memory" that will appear after some playing just...and that in turn points towards why i can hear music the first 2-3 songs only, i guess the pool memory don't have the strength to play further music

but cant say that the music dies at the immediate same time i receive my first pool memory message, but it could still be connected off course, the music just die out first then it complains

anyway i suppose the direct solution could be that i purchase windows 7 tomorrow, cause that will increase my free RAM from 3.25 to 4 Gb, things points towards that will be enough

8. peterius

peterius New Member

This is a bug but I have no idea when it occurs. I saw it once in beta multiplayer. The main background music just cuts out sometimes and doesn't come back. You should report it to Blizzard, they may be unaware.

(Also paged pool memory has nothing to do with the music cutting out.)

9. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

Please don't quote the post above your own.

How do i report to blizzard? (in text is my only possibility)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  10. peterius

peterius New Member

11. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

12. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

..anybody else who read this who know if you can even report a bug to blizzard if you live in Europe?

13. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    You should be able too. I had no luck replicating the issue you are experiencing. Only options I saw that would make music cut out are all mic options, but your playing Single Player, not multiplayer. Music plays continually for me on my buddies machine, although we were using a Stereo configuration with headphones.

*EDIT*
    Okay, I see a possible problem now @_@ (was I asleep the first time I read this thread!?) Did you try installing the drivers for the USB headphones? If "USB Multi Channel Audio Device" is how it comes up in device manager, try downloading and installing the drivers from the site I linked too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  14. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    The only other issue I've found that involves audio is shuddering caused by using wireless cards at a 40Hz frequency. I somehow doubt this is related, unless you are using wireless to play the game. Have you tried the new audio drivers I pointed out?

15. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

Sorry i have been quit, the thing is that i have performed test the whole time and got in touch with Blizzard by mail, but as i deep down suspected i would anyway get a none personal answer :rolleyes: thei renamed the topic to "Graphics/Sound Issues" :arghh:

And as you might guess i got a whole bunch of advice where the problem lies within my computer :)

(check)

(check) both sound blaster and USB was from the beginning

(check)

(check)

(check)

I can admit that the sound blaster is close to graphic card, but i have not experiences any raised temp on any hard drives when i play this game, i monitor this computer.
    there is no chance in hell i can move the cards farther apart... still my chassi is a new
    ANTEC black mega cooler with 5 fans, so i would not worry moor than anybody else about the heating

I have switched between sound blaster and the usb driver blizzard..and its only your game that cracks and popps yes :)

Blizzard in your own support contact form i wrote this to you originally..i did attach the dxdialog as you instructed :laugh: but yeah i could send them Starcraft log file and msinfo.txt next also , but i somewhat doubt it will tell so much?

But i guess if im persistent now it can go past this standard basic troubleshooting steps, but it would surprise me alot if thei ever will choose to classify my issue as a bug worthy patching :rolleyes:
    Thei have however one advice thing i hade not tested yet, and that is to
    But i have just tested something possibly related, i did go into in-game settings and changed from 128 number of voices to default 64 again, first it seemed to help...but all it have done is to delay the death of the shuffle according to my research, as you may understand its totally out of question to lower it under 64...in my opinion S-Blaster XFI should be able to handle max 128 value in any game.
    so that is what i have left to do before i...

16. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Damn dude, I'd be banging my head against a wall.

Let me ask, is there any "virtual surround" software for the x-fi? Even if you try it in 5.1 mode, that doesn't mean any kind of virtual surround software isn't still enabled. Just a thought.. at this point I'm just making guesses.

So you experience this on both sound cards? WTF.

17. BlueStar

BlueStar New Member

change the number of sounds
    default is 64
    it's in the sounds options
    i'm using my awesome onboard SoundMax HD (it's really not that awesome) and have it set to 128 currently
    i would suggest lowering yours

18. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

What did i write above ;) i think it should manage 128, but i also said that not even 64 channels seems to make the definite difference you can be pleased with, i have one more thing to test now on mission "Safe Haven" who are my new test-mission, and that is to one moor time insert SB XFI and stereo speakers and se how many rounds the music will continue play in the background during receiving incoming transmission before it breaks of

think with 64 voices i noticed that it could pass longer into the mission before it got silent on BOTH MY DRIVER OPTIONS, i manage to destroy 3 of the 4 nexuses with ongoing USB music whole time, but then during another briefing it got perm silent just when i taut i hade prevailed!

I dont know if i can call Cyper Snipa a soundcard of its own? or is it? perhaps it can take support from SB XFI even though XFI is not primary active? but yeah i have tested both, but as i said above im gonna redo it one more time

There is 2-3 control panels with various surround settings for XFI yes, but i dont have them installed, just the latest driver, cause i primary wanna use my headphones....its just that i don't trake for granted that when you say "surround" it have a connection to the musics "be" or not "being" if it was a sound-effect issue then it would definitely being able to silent some sound effects?

You do know that i don't have 5.1 speakers when i use "XFI" i have only 2.0+bas
    and the computer setts it automatic to 2.0 stereo speakers as soon as i switch it on as primary audio device, and the menu music ofSstracraft 2 will not play unless i go into settings and sett it to stereo speakers as well, so i will always notice that i have indeed setted everything correct even ingame that way

19. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    The thing about using USB headphones is, you don't even need the X-Fi installed into the system. You are plugged-in into your USB ports directly, not via the X-Fi. Even if your sound card does have USB threw, its just a threw, not a jack into it like a normal stereo jack. The Headphones are reproducing all of the sound. How it is doing that is dependent on the headphone hardware itself, and the software driver. If you insist on playing with the game headphones on, I would uninstall the X-Fi from the system and uninstall the drivers, and try playing the game with just the headphones. If that doesn't fix the issue, try playing with just the X-Fi with and no headphones installed.

I'm going to wager that the headphones are simply using CPU cycles to churn out music. Whether this will fix the music shuffling issue, i don't know... but if you have any speed issues playing online, it will sure as heck help. You need to think of the USB Headphones and the X-Fi has two different sound cards.

I am also not convinced at the USB Headphones driver is installed at all, simply because you are getting a generic "USB Multi Channel Audio Device" from the device list. I would go into the device manager and make sure that its using an offical driver, and not some generic USB one.

Could also try installing a newer 64-bit OS. This thread has been going on for awhile, I'm not sure if you tried that or not. If you have, post a newer Dxdiag. If you lived anywhere near PA, I'd consider just stopping in and looking in person. lol

20. Kloppstock

Kloppstock New Member

PA=Pennsylvania? how convenient, i happend to have a sewer floor drain that will teleport
    my self from Sweden to an office building in PA....not
    i would therefore not mind if the thread could continue to live a bit more? :twitcy:so i could test
    that idea of uninstalling the USB instead of XFI!
    cause its alot more work behind uninstalling and deactivate the whole XFI and its driver, no guarantees it will be completely gone as it could be either, besides i bet XFI are not fuelled by CPU cycles right? so i should off course test that with XFI only, cause i bett my XP-32 don't have any CPU cycles to spare for USB headphones also when it drives SC at same time, but XFI should not be as demanding if i understand you right...

No i have not tested any 64-system ever, if so i need to purchase it, or get it illegally just to test Starcraft 2 and see if its worth it lol, but at the same time its not only illegal i can run into virus troubles and all kinds of unsuitabilitys so i think i pass for now, if so i should purchase it..just because its recommended for new games so often

I have never played online so i cant tell what you really mean :wacko: ;)

I attach a new "dxdiag" when i have killed the USB driver and only have XFI left

The USB driver is installed correct, it have from the start called itself "USB Multi Channel Audio Device"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010