1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Terran Tips

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Andromidius, Jan 8, 2011.

General Terran Tips

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Andromidius, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

Wow, some people are just morons. I had a Zerg player repeatedly insulting me and saying 'noob noob noob over and over... And the joke? Only reaosn he won was because I was tired and he mass expanded and kept hurling wave after wave of units at me. Eventually ground me down, and he seemed pretty smug about it.

But then he can enjoy a report for harassment :) Being rude and offensive to someone is a no-no in my books. I can only hope he's been offensive to others as well and he gets himself a ban.

2. Raynor

Raynor New Member

Just start out learning their hot keys and practicing their builds like the 1/1/1, 3 rax, and 2 rax factory. There are so many strategies.

Just make sure you scout your opponent with a worker after building a supply depot at 10/11. Then scout to see what they are doing.

Here is the standard opener.

- 10/11 supply depot
    - 12/19 barracks, refinery while barracks is building
    - 17/19 orbital

Here are some builds i use.

If you are facing zerg then get two early gas and build two factories for mass hellions. But first make sure the zerg is going for an early expansion and then banelings rather than roaches. Have one factory with a reactor and the other with a tech lab to get the blue flame damage upgrade to make them better. Mass up the hellions and get a tech lab on the arracks for marauders. Go take out as many drones as you can until you have enough units to finish them off. Watch out for a spire so you know to switch the factory for the reactor to get marines.

Against protoss I usually go 3 rax to mass marines and marauders. After you get your first marauder or two send them over to harass since they will robably be researching warp tech at the time and have very little units to deal with it.

Facing terran i usually will go 1/1/1 to get either MMM ball, siege tanks, or early banshees with cloak. Even a hellion drop works well against them especially if they turtle up.

3. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

I'm fine with basic builds. I usually find they don't suit me, hense why I don't use them most of the time.

Thing is, people mindlessly use the same tactics over and over again. 4 Gate, for example. Even when I scout it, have Ghosts ready to EMP them, Marauders, Stim, plenty of Marines...half the time I'll still lose. I think that's a bit... I hate to say unbalanced, but it seems to me a lot of these 'basic builds' are strong due to their lack of thinking.

4. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    Im not very experienced as a terran player so i dont know any tips for you guys to know about..
    I must say that a well played drop can be very devastating if you have the Apm for it, but thats kinda obvious..
    (Damn that just shows my inexperience as Terran >.<)

5. Raynor

Raynor New Member

Whenever you start off with a new race you need to first get down their hot keys, play styles, and basic strategies. Not to mention getting down to their special abilities and proper micro.

I play mainly as Terran so I know what you are saying as I could not imagine switching to protoss or zerg unless I really immersed myself to it. But with terran you need to get the opener down which goes something like this.

• 10/11 supply depot
    • 12/19 barracks
    • refinery while barracks is building
    • 14/19 supply depot
    • 17/27 orbital command

Then once the orbital command is done keep using the energy on mules to build a strong economy. Forget using scans unless you need to save them for a possible cloak attack from DTs or banshees.

Their basic strategy is marines and marauders. Go for this by building 2 more barracks and attach tech labs on two of them while the third has a reactor for double the marines. This build does great against zerg roach/ling and protoss 4 gate.

If your opponent is playing defense or has expanded early as zerg do that usually you should be expanding at around 9 minutes. Build the second command center inside your base and then lift off.

Constantly produce scvs even past saturation (30 scvs total on one base). Then there are other strategies to get down like going for a mech build which refers to siege tanks, thors, and/or hellions. And there is the 1/1/1 build which is very versatile and works well against another terran player most of the time.

Just get a good idea of how to use them. Know the abilities of the units. Marines have combat shields, marauders concussive shells, and both share stim pack which is vital when massing marines and marauders.

6. PRUSSIA

PRUSSIA New Member

Tarsonis
    I'm confused, is it supposed to be 2.5 SCVs per mineral or 2? In SC1 it was 2.5, but I'm getting mixed messages in SC2.