1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting your characters or units to talk in your custom maps

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by DoSrsCa88, Sep 2, 2011.

getting your characters or units to talk in your custom maps

1. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I want to make a marine say something in game and show his portrait. Can anyone help me here? I don't know whether to use dialogue, transmission or conversation. Do you also need to use the the portrait action in a trigger?

2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Quite honestly, I have no idea how campaign-related things work, and unit dialogue tends to be more campaign-y. Feel free to experiment, and when you figure it out post about it here. ;D

3. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Ok., I'll do some experimentation.

I sought of have an idea what each thing is for but it is only a guess. My guess is that conversation is used for cut scenes not in game.

Transmission is used for a character that is not in the map in game. I think when the surrogate robot thingy says " You have an Incoming transmission from blah blah" and then it switches over the portrait of the character or unit sending the transmission and he/she/it says something.

And dialogue is for the sort of thing I want to do, but that is just a guess.

4. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    assuming it works like in the original, the rule is transmission is for units not found in map OR whenever you want to ping the unit in the map whenever he speaks to show his/her/its location. dialogue is for talking units that are in map and are close to each other, so that the pinging location doesn't happen

5. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I experimented with transmission but it is not working properly. I set up the trigger right according to tutorial sources but it is not working well at all. The portrait box comes up but there is no portrait in it and the message the unit is suppose to say isn't coming up either.

And on top of that the portrait box won't go away. I set it to 1.0 duration.

All I want to do is make one of my WarPig Units say something through a portrait like when a character or unit speaks in a map in the campaign. Its turning into a real pain.

6. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I found out how they do transmissions in the campaign. They use send transmission(Campaign) and they import use a sound which has the portrait, portrait animation and speech text already defined inside the sound. I think I am going to have to create or duplicate a sound and add it to the transmission. Since I cant find the transmission (Campaign) I will just use one of the other two options

7. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    That's interesting. Are you sure it's not defined in another trigger? It might use a "current transmission portrait" and "current transmission text" variable that is defined in other areas of the triggers.

8. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Maybe, I haven't looked through all the variables yet. Once I have a closer look I will let you know. One thing for sure is I haven't figured out how they put the Model-Portrait in the sound. I have duplicated a sound already and am having trouble changing the Model-Portrait in the sound properties. Looks like I am going to have to find some data editor : custom sound tutorials.

9. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Ok, I looked through the variables more closely and there is no variable with a current transmission portrait or text. There are variables for other things like ping and timers for units.

I thing I wanted to ask is what is ping and what is it used for?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  10. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    A ping is an alert on the minimap. It is used to assist in locating where events are occurring on the map without potentially distracting you from what you are doing by scrolling your view screen.

11. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I came accross this warning while editing the sound can anyone help me? The warning is : Invalid text parameter used on value '<what I typed in Subtitles>'.

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Subtitles." Please be as detailed as possible in your question; it is hard to diagnose the situation without having all of the facts. :)

13. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I don't know if you have ever played around with sound in the editor but when you select a sound or alert and you modify the sound file that the sound points too there are a couple of text fields. One is 'Speaker', another is 'Portrait Animation' and the other is 'Subtitle'. When you pick a sound there should be fields on these data areas I mentioned as well in table view. You double click on them and right click the sound file and select modify sound.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  14. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I haven't found a single sound file that has anything in the subtitle entry. They're all blank, that I've checked.

15. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Have you checked through the alert sound files as well? Sometimes they aren't in the sound file itself only in the data table when you select the sound from the data editor.

I am basically trying to duplicate a sound of a character or unit who says sometinh and make him/her/it say what I want to say.

16. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I can't find a relevant tutorial, and I'm not sure what you meant by "not in the sound file itself only in the data table." I thought we were specifically looking for the subtitle section of the sound file data entry of a data module item of type 'sound?'

17. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

No I was wrong, they are in the sound file you were right. Are you sure you can't find any sounds with the subtitle fields filled out or not blank. If you look through the Liberty Campaign through the TValerian sounds the subtitle fields are filled.

18. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    The TValerian sounds are for the TV in the campaign, right? I feel like subtitles may only be applicable for it. I did not have the campaign files loaded in my checking.

19. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I don't think so, not all of them anyway. If you look at TValerian(number)Kerrigan(number) sounds most of them were used in missions like the last mission in the campaign. Cause if you look at the subtitle field in some of them it is exactly what she says in some of the Campaign missions. One thing I don't get though is why the 'speaker' field points to say MercWarpig in the sound file but the facial animation and portrait model points to Kerrigan.

Good news though, I managed to get the transmission side of it working now. I just need to worry about the sound editing side of it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  20. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Fair enough. What changes did you make that solved the issue?