1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting your characters or units to talk in your custom maps

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by DoSrsCa88, Sep 2, 2011.

getting your characters or units to talk in your custom maps

1. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Nothing much different. I just had to select an appropriate sound and change the transmission to wait until done and leave the transmission duration to its default time.

I am finding the sound editing part the hardest thing in the editor so far. All other things I managed to solve pretty quickly. It's probably cause there isn't any tutorials. Someone should request or ask for someone to put a sound tutorial on SC2 mapster or something.

2. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

OK, the subtitles and speaker fields in the sound are just text messages displayed in game when the transmission comes up. It is not used to change what the person is saying in the sound file itself. I tried it. I have never actually gotten into the sound file. You can export the sound file used in the sound but I haven't got a clue what to do after that. The editor won't let you create a new sound file, when you click add sound file you can only select the already existing sound files to attach.

Even if you could I wouldn't have a clue what to do next.

It is such a damn pain this part of the editor and missions. You think blizzard would implement an easier or better way to create transmissions with speech or sound or just an easier way to create a new sound.

Without transmissions any campaign missions or just plain scenarios or custom matches are pretty ordinary to me.

3. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I wouldn't expect you would be able to put in whatever text you want and the voice would say it. The transmissions and their related sounds are pre-recorded with the voice actors and actresses. If you want to add a new sound, I would suggest trying to record it yourself and then trying to import it in a similar way you import unit models.

4. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

I don't know how I am going to do that unless I get the actors over my place and tell them what to say then record their voices, which is impossible.

5. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Sorry, I guess I didn't fully understand your issue at the start. I thought it would have been a given that you could not make the voice actors say anything and that all of their speeches are pre-recorded.

6. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

Well at the start of the topic I was mainly focusing on the transmission area but later on I realised that transmissions need sounds and the issue was with the sound. I also didn't realise at the start that in order to make a new sound you have to record it.

I suppose you could download an .ogg file from the internet of custom sounds but I doubt there be ones for random unit speech.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    You could use a soundboard type program and bring in all the audio clips of each character from the game and try to sample them together into the sentences you're looking for.

Time consuming but they would be the right voices.

Or you could find people who do a reasonable impression. :)

8. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

The soundboard program would be a good idea if I could find a good cheap one.