1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart of the swarm campaign speculation

Discussion in 'StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm' started by ijffdrie, Jan 8, 2012.

Heart of the swarm campaign speculation

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Whether the speculation is about the story, the campaign units or the mechanics, this is the place to speculate.

This is what we already know about the campaign:
    The zerg swarm has been scattered over the koprulu sector. The forces on char have been destroyed. The leviathans that carried the rest of the swarm are dead or stranded. In this new situation, the few intelligent zerg, the brood mothers, have taken control over portions of the hive.

Kerrigan, meanwhile, appears to be deinfested. However, all may not be as it appears, as she breaks free to reunite the zerg swarms once more.

A few of the units have also already been announced. It seems the playable campaign units work by way of upgrades. Which zerg you add to the swarm determines what unit you can make.
    Zerglings may become either raptors(more HP and can jump over objects or cliffs) or swarmlings (greater numbers, smaller spawning time)
    Banelings may become either gorgelings(player gains partial resources of killed units) or splitterlings(banelings split on death)
    Roaches may become either leeches(gains permanent hp bonus on killing enemies, regenerates faster while burrowed) or prowlers(which can move while burrowed)
    Those are the only ones known so far, so there are plenty of units left to speculate about. I'm personally hoping for hunter killers to be available as upgrades.

All the units with split evolution can also get one of three upgrades. Zerglings can either get higher speed, rare chance to spawn broodlings on death or instant spawning.
    Banelings can slow damaged units, increased speed, or bigger splash.
    Roaches can get higher armour, higher attack or increased regeneration.

It's likely that the old starcraft zerg units will appear as well, like they did in WoL. The exception is probably the devourer, since there is said to be little need for air-to-air. Since infested bunkers were mentioned as a possible campaign building, my guess is that the new infested units from WoL (aberration and infested marine) will be available as well. My guess is that the omegalisk and the brutalisk will be the upgrades for the ultralisk(or maybe, instead of the brutalisk(since it doesn't really look like an ultralisk), the burrow assault ultralisk will be available instead). Pygalisks will probably not be available, as those were made in dominion labs. A single leviathan will probably be available in some missions, as it serves as Kerrigan's mothership.

Any of you got any ideas?

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

You know, I could really see a mission with an aquatic breed of zerg.

3. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

We learned in the comic that regular zerg can swim.

I wouldn't mind aquatic zerg, as long as they're not in multiplayer.

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Yeah, I don't think they'd work in multiplayer (what with many maps not having water and all), or even as a regular campaign unit. Just available for a few of the maps.

5. Takaim

Takaim Member

I'd have to say things like the brutalisk and such will PROBABLY be more of as mercenary type unit like the devil dogs and such were in WoL. That'd make the most sense to me. I'd be surprised if they brought devourers back because of the corruptors already being the main air to air attack unit for the zerg. I'm honestly scared they are going to make zerg OP as hell in this next game. It sounds like all of their unit ideas are Godly abominations of epic powerful creatures...which spells trouble for every other race. -.-

6. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Hybrids will eat the zerg for lunch. I wonder how LotV will go in terms of power?

7. PRUSSIA

PRUSSIA New Member

Tarsonis
    I'd like to see defilers back. They were creepy and looked unique in a species that already looked crazy.