1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High or Dark Templars

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by toni, Nov 9, 2010.

High or Dark Templars

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by toni, Nov 9, 2010.

1. toni

toni New Member

Hi people, i have a hard time deciding, which i like more and which i like more usefull, High or Dark templars.

HT have psionic storm which is soooooo cool that i have used and got 28 kills in one storm. They also have feedback which can oneshot kill, medivacs, banshees, corruptors, other HT and many more. But they cant attack

DT are always cloaked which is so usefull, and they do sooooooo much damage per hit. though they dont shoot air

what are your thought?

2. Riven

Riven New Member

Dallas, Texas
    Neither unit is always the right choice. You have to take the situation into account.

HTs are infinitely more useful against terran, assuming they go MMM (which they probably will).

DTs are better early in the game (before a lot of detection has gone out), and are generally vulnerable against zerg because they're forced to pump detectors (overlords) from the get-go.

Both are best used as support units behind your army, and I'd say both are equally useful, but in different situations. If the opponent is light on detection, especially if they aren't taking any around with their army, keep some DTs with your main force. If they're bringing ravens or overlords with their army, go HTs if they have a lot of ground units.

Scout, and you'll have a good idea of which will work better. DTs are more fun in my opinion :cool:

3. toni

toni New Member

good points.

what do you think of an army of mass DT and HT? could be pretty OP unless the other guy gets air.

4. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Honestly dts are not that useful in higher leagues.

HT's on the other hand own with chargelots and blinksters. (Include immorts if needed)

In fact, Ive stopped making colusi vs Z and T, Psi storm just owns that much.

Massing one unit is never a good idea. Well maybe in bronze.

HT's are also cheaper than DT's and way Cheaper than colusi.

Edit: If you want to you can always mix in 2-3 dts at the front of an army, but I still feel they have too little hp to be useful.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Dark, school told me getting High wasn't worth the risk. Just pray they dont have detection, or else your DTs will turn into a puff of smoke, which could be carcinogenic to anything that breathes it in. Fortunately Protoss don't seem to breath.

6. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Meh, there are far better things anyways.

But seriously, if you know how to throw down storms.

HT>DT

7. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    There's no question which is better for any unit in sc.
    DTs are used quite well on top tier play too and are also good in the late game for a couple of reasons:
    In the late game the enemy is spread amongs many bases, so even with some detection you can sneak in some DTs in every base, kill the anti-air and force him into panic mode.(Socke did some awsome use of DTs against Sen on MLG dallas using them both as great defense against drops and to harass expos at the late game. He also threw some incredibly magnificent storms :p)

Generally HT need units to backup and work well against mass of armies while DTs don't need any backup and work well against underdefended expos or when defending against sneaky attacks. If your enemy has a crapload of units in his army and a detector flying above them DTs are useless but HTs will do insane amounts of damage, if your enemy has expanded a lot then DTs are awsome because with a multipronged attack you can force him to split his army and rush to defend his expos.

And doh, I keep getting a feeling that in every post I generally repeat myself at least once >.<

8. toni

toni New Member

yea i agree that charge lots with stalkers and HT are really powerfull, and a couple of DT's in just any army mix is pretty good if the other guy does not have detection. anyone had good points and i do think that massing the same kind ouf unit could be a good tactic. with zerg i like to do mass hydras and i win 3 out of 5 times with the mass hydras.

9. Lewan

Lewan New Member

I prefer high templars because storm just devastates mass-tier 1 armies such as MMM ball or mass zerglings/speedlings.

10. sc2scoorge

sc2scoorge New Member

as riven has pointed out, each has their place, and in my mind, high templars need more skill to move and use effectively as opposed to dark templars
    altho dt's need to be micro'd alot when running away from scans

but i usually use dt's more as a scouting unit and hold expansions off

11. cyberchu

cyberchu New Member

dark templar are usually used to surprise the oppent and knock off some scvs or some other target while high templar(more effective in the higher leagues) help out your army with phystorm and feedback which can be very useful^^ its really important to think what your going to do with it (either dark templar or high templar) before u choose which one to get

12. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    HT's are soo much fun ^^
    DT's are rather different.. but they're good for harrasing if you have the apm to make DT drops all over your opponent hoping for a rage-quit oh yeah!!! oO

13. Raynor

Raynor New Member

I hate both when I face them. XD But when I play as toss I like high templars best because their psy storm is so useful against tons of light armored units like zealots, hydras, or marines. Then archons I probably one of the coolest units in the game. Oh yea you can make them with dark templars too. :cool:

14. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    If the HT notes from 1.3 go through, I'm betting HT will be used even less than the are now, since insta-storming with warped in HT won't be possible.

15. esMonster

esMonster New Member

I only think DTs are good for harrassment. Other than that, if someone has an observer out, they're pretty much useless. Plus they cost alot of minerals and gas. I would stick with High Templars...they're overall good on groups of units. They're especially useful against weak units, and sometimes even tier 2 units. Of course the more high templars, and storms you have, the more effective it will be. Just make sure u have units in front of your high templars, otherwise, u'll lose them fast, or get proned to emp from terran.

16. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    I usually use DT's for when I -know- the enemy has no detection with their forces, and when they have no detection in their base.. The fun begins :D

HT's are excellent, if you use them well. Psi Storm, good AoE spell. Feedback, good against annoying Banshees, Medivacs etc.

And if you combine either one, you get an Archon. Definitely good against Zerg.

17. Cheech420

Cheech420 New Member

After the new patch takes away the amulet, DT's fosho... but it's always situational. I personally love HT's over DT's but thats only with amulet :p

18. TheWarOwl

TheWarOwl New Member

USA
    This is a trick question, the real answer is: Arcons.

Honestly, DTs are better for that early harassment, whereas HTs work very well within a unit composition. I don't trust DTs in a unit composition, chargelots at that point in the game work much better. The nerfing of the amulet is a real pain though, since you can't instastorm to defend against a muta attack or something.

Either way, when your DTs lose their purpose, just turn them into archons, though it is clear that HTs are always useful.

19. maryquiryp

maryquiryp New Member

as riven has pointed out, each has their place, and in my mind, high templars need more skill to move and use effectively as opposed to dark templars
    altho dt's need to be micro'd alot when running away from scans

but i usually use dt's more as a scouting unit and hold expansions off

20. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    This is my playbook to decide between DT or HT:

PvZ: DT with chargelots, once he gets detection, i continue to warp in DTs and make archons and rush upgrades

PvT: HT with stalker/zealot , use storm on bio armies, automatically drop a robo and get the tech for colossi before/while he can tech to ghosts.

PvP: DT with chargelots, transition into archons with immortals.

again these are my strategies that i use against players who play standard. Often enough, my PvT looks like my PvZ strat.