1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In utter darkness is epic fail

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Strategy Discussion' started by solar00, Sep 22, 2010.

In utter darkness is epic fail

1. budwyzer

budwyzer New Member

Ummm no the achievement is quite easy, I failed on medium (I had no idea what the achievement was) then when I replayed everything on hard for the secret mission I pulled the achieve first try.

For those who still need help, block outh the top and bottom entrances with cannons, attack move BEHIND them to keep ur melee from running off and dying. The real key is Zeratul's lock ability and Graviton beam, use these on thhhhhhhhhhe hybrids that attack. (Sorry about the h's, I fell asleep holding my phone)
    You shouldn't need any reinforcements besides those that the game gives, until the final mass attack. So while defending mass a ton of cannons in the main base, as well as carriers. Leave 1 open slot for ur ground units to fall back though. The key is cannons, as carriers will fill up ur food supply quickly, u can have as many cannons as u can afford. :)

2. Fake ID

Fake ID New Member

Personally I just massed Collosi, the key I think is upgrading them. The squad of flyers you get must also be kept alive as the graviton-beam + Void Rays kill those hybrids good. When I tried to just mass Collosi and either of the flyer types died killing Broodlords (don't ask me how :) ) my Collosi got killed by the final Hybrids.

Anyway, wasn't hard to get the Archieve alive on Brutal doing that. I also tried to DT wall but it failed as they sent Overseers and some Zerglings seemed to be able to squeeze through after running back and forth for some mins. Before I did this I also tried getting some Immortals in there, but they just take up Suppy and the Phoneix/Void Rays seem to be enough for the Hybrids. 200 supply for some time as well so I built a sea of cannons.

3. Solcracy

Solcracy Guest

Dannnggg...
    You guys pretty much dominated. I hella held out with High Templars and Colossi mixed in with Cannons. I had so many High Templars by the end of the level that I quickly morphed into Archons, and they pretty much held out to the point where it wasn't even funny anymore lol

4. solar00

solar00 New Member

I'm now facing this mission again, but this time on brutal.
    Despite all video's showing how to do it' I keep failing consistantly.

One thing I notice is that I keep buidling units but they die quicker than they are build, somehow food must stay at 200/200 using excess minerals for cannons.
    But my army is dying rapidly (I had a max of 150/200 once)
    How many robo is needed? (I had a total of 4, more was pointless because of the shortage on gas)

Only colossi/phoenix will kill me before even reaching 1500 kills, adding some immortals to absorb damage made me survive past 2000 kills.
    And of course I was constantly upgrading using 1 cybercore + 2 forges..... still no go.
    Also tried to sacrifice the archives in the and start defending the 2 ramps from the beginning , (this worked for me on hard), but this time my base was raped before even reaching 1000 kills.
    Walling off with gateways is also useless as they are destroyed in a matter of seconds.

My record is 2071 kills on brutal but 2500 or even more which looks so easy on the videos seems to be impossible.
    I'm afraid my lousy APM is the root cause of this.
    I'm actually looking for the most easy strat to finish this.(if it even exists)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    I was thinking exactly that thing earlier on because I was thinking about how good robo units are against ground. Colossi and Immortals supplement each other perfectly when the only thing you face is ground(Collosi kill stuff that hurt immortal shields from range and immortals kill armored stuff while surviving for the colossi to deal damage), and then wanted to give it a shot at this mission on which I gave up after 3 failed tries. Deffinitely gonna give this a try tomorrow, it should work pretty nicely. :)

6. solar00

solar00 New Member

The problem with this mission is around the end.
    The waves thrown at you when over 2000 kill are so absurd my video card can't even run it smoothly anymore
    After maybe 20 tries (with saves) I've had enough.
    2264 kill is my record for now.

7. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Maybe try on hard mode? You don't need to do it on brutal to get the achievements, I've got the zeratul portrait and only played on hard.

As for the colossi/phoenix killing you before 1500, I don't see how that is the case, as the two times I've played that mission it has worked for me. First time on normal got me ~2900 kills, on hard I got ~2500 kills(been a while so dont remember exact numbers). And both those times I used colossus/phoenix and built maybe 10 combat units that weren't those 2 units types(mainly a few stalkers in the beginning just for extra help). At about the 2k mark I have around 20 phoenixes including the hero and 6+ colossi at each of the 3 entrances.

Immortals dont seem worth it since I have enough phoenixes to lift every hybrid that shows up, and colossi take care of everything else before the hybrids are released and weakened by my other phoenixes.

I've never tried dt walls, which seem like a waste of gas that I could be using on more colossi and phoenixes.

As a side note, I play this campaign at an average of 5-15 fps since my laptop cant handle the game properly, sometimes dropping to less during larger battles, like after the 2k mark. There are times when the in-game fps checker drops to 0 for a period of time because Im only getting 1 frame every 2 seconds or so. Even so, I still manage to kill enough units and micro my phoenixes around well enough to keep lifting each hybrid threat.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. solar00

solar00 New Member

I've already finished this mission on hard, (took me 20 tries).
    I wanted to earn the Sarah Kerrigan Portrait but I'm afraid this one is going to be my waterloo.

I've tried it over 100 times now but it's simply not going to work.
    DT wall is also quite useless (at one point there are 4 observers ,3 on the left 1 on the right and then it's bye bye DT wall)

Every attack wave cost me at least 20 supply of units in the beginning which is growing as the wave become stronger and according to the shokz video you must be at 200/200 before having 1000 kills (at that point I was at 140)
    You must be still at 200/200 when the mothership arrives with a fully operational base, in my case there was no base left and I had only a few carriers+voids.

This is absolutely the hardest mission in the campaign (at least at hard/brutal)

I'm beginning to understand why only diamond and platium players have this portrait, this is just beyond the abilities of lower league players no matter how hard you try.
    My highest kill count up till now is 2317.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  9. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    There is one trick that might give you the edge you need. There is a gold mineral expansion in the upper left corner of the map. At the very start, the first thing you can do is send a probe there to build a nexus and assimilators on both geysers. Transfer 5 more probes over there when it is almost done so you can harvest the gas ASAP, and then of course continue to make probes there as well as at your original two nexuses.

If you build a pylon there and a few cannons, and send zeratul and a few forces over, you can easily hold off the first attack that comes on that expansion, and continue mining there full force. However, a few minutes later there comes a large zerg wave from that direction, which is preceded by Urun saying "I'm detecting a large amount of activity in the zerg hive clusters... prepare for an assault!"

As soon as you begin to hear him say that, retreat all probes and forces from that expansion. I have found that no matter what I did, I could not hold off that zerg attack on the expo without being crippled, you absolutely must defend at the choke/bridge. Yes you lose the expansion, but you should have had it up and mining long enough for it to be far more than worth the buildings you lose doing this.

10. solar00

solar00 New Member

I've seen videos without using the gold expansion so trying to expand only makes it more difficult (higher APM needed)

I decide to give it a few more tries before giving up on this mission how stupid of me and what a waste of time.
    I get nowhere near 2500 kills.
    This time tried to mass coloss with Lots and Stalkers.
    Saving after every wave.

Seemed to work in the first place and managed to get a 185/200 army (which was the same as in one of the videos), but just above 1000 kills , the last series of attack waves before the archives are secured the army is simply halved at best and completely wiped out in the worst case.
    But 20 hybrids are just too much even for this army and lifting a few of them in the air doesn't make much difference in the end. (as for the upgrades ground 3/3/2 air 2/1/2)

Then when the archives is secure, best try was 80 food army left. so I pulled back to defend against these nydus , but the waves that follow are simply unstoppable I did a small test and 1 Hybrid Reaver can destroy 2 colloss + 2 stalkers with ease, how am I supposed to defend against 30 of them? using collos then theoretically I need 90 of them which is 520 food wtf???

11. solar00

solar00 New Member

I finally did it .
    I finished this one with 2751 kills on Brutal,
    Man I really hate this mission, took me over 100 tries.

Still I have to do it once more on normal to get the archives (research) and the archievements but that will be a walk in the park after this hell on brutal.

12. GeneralTeo

GeneralTeo New Member

Greece
    Have you noticed that the 3rd achievement says kill 750 additional units on NORMAL dificulty and not on hard?...

13. ddjj1004

ddjj1004 New Member

What I did was go 6 gate, spam dts and wall off using them. after the temple was all right and I retreated back on to the ramp, I spammed cannons and went pure air. Void rays,carriers and pheonixes, 6 stargate with all the air weapon,armour and shield upgrades. I reached my kill limit and my base got completely raped. What I did was to move my air units to the empty space and only attack the air units coming at me. Soon my carriers became useless because i ran out of minerals, and used them as tankers. I managed to hit 500 extra kills, then I died. This tatic is quite useful if you want to get some more spare kills.

14. Garfed

Garfed New Member

I think it is very easy and Phoenix. Use of hybrid gravity beam. If you get a decent power of the Phoenix, you can lift the run around, killing almost all the hybrids....

15. vidoziz

vidoziz New Member

thanks for post