1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joneagle_X's WWI StarCraft 2 Review

Discussion in 'WWI 2008' started by MeisterX, Jul 3, 2008.

Joneagle_X's WWI StarCraft 2 Review

Discussion in 'WWI 2008' started by MeisterX, Jul 3, 2008.

1. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    here is SC2 Source, with there own questions and answers, you might find your answers here, or think of a similar question because of a question that was asked.

Terrans section : http://www.starcraft-source.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3736

Protoss section : http://www.starcraft-source.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3737&st=0&start=0

Zerg section : http://www.starcraft-source.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3738&st=0&start=0

*note that they all start out the same way, just using a few different words*

im not asking questions because im depressed about my Lurkers that are right now useless T_T
    my poor, poor Lurkers, i dont want to see its cut, they cant cut me fav. unit, if they do they will find out that i have implanted 7 thousand tons of thermite in their attic that ready to set off at any moment.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol Lurk, they're not "useless." They're just not core to the Zerg strategy.

3. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    edited my post a little, termites lol, i meant THermite which is totally a different thing.

anyway to me the Lurkers seems pretty useless(it breaks my heart to say it) why make them when you can just hold out a little longer and get a unit that has more than 3 times the health, have higher armor, and also has splash? for just 50 more minerals and 200 more gas.

you might say that 200 minerals and 400 gas is a lot for a unit, but its better than using 750 minerals and 1k gas (thats 5 Lurkers), just to get 25 more health compared the Ultralisk ( im comparing Lurkers against Ultralisks) (( and its not looking pretty to me ))

specially so when all that changed for the Lurker is a late Tier placement, and more expensive in gas because of the Hydralisk

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Are Zerglings too weak or are Zealots too strong?

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I heard Nomads don't detect anymore. Do you have to mass a lot of Sensor Towers and Scan a lot?

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    That further diversifies each race, so I'd welcome it. Its called extreme balance; instead of traveling to detect, with energy cost/minerals you can detect anywhere in an instant without danger.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    GMG the Nomad hasnt been changed (BLizzard interview), so it shouldnt be able to detect before that either then.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Still, I remember reading about it somewhere. I think it was an interview with Karune. He said that with the Nomad's detection, Terran were "detectorific" or something like that. :p A possibility is that they added back the detection right before WWI.
    I'd like to hear what Jon has to say though..

10. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i do have a question after all, you said that the Terrans will sometime outnumber the Zerg because of the Reactor.

now the question is do you think it would be better to change the Reactor or the speed and the amount of Larva that comes out of the Hatcheries?
    because that was the limiting factor for the Zerg, so they couldnt produce an army that could destroy the opponent army and base and still have enough to kill another army and base.

11. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Did you have a chance to try Immortals against Ultralisks?
    Whats the best Terran counter for them? Now that it does splash I'm guessing it isn't Stimmed Marrines.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Did you see any interesting use of the Nullifier? Has it changed noticeably since the last time you used it?

Can you clarify what you meant by only ever needing a few Swarm Guardians? Is this just against tanks or do the Broodlings cause a lot of trouble with other units as well?

Can you clarify the mutant larva ability? Can they be moved around, or do they just behave like normal larva?

You said that the Nydus Worm is now basically the old Nydus Canal again- does this include the single-exit thing, or have they retained multiple exits?

Were there any interesting unit portraits, models, voices, that were new?

Can you give us details about abilities? Casters, specifically.

How does Creep Tumor placement work? Do you just tell a Hatchery to "make one here," and it pops up?

13. Ych

Ych New Member

Welcome back Jon. And nice to hear that you had an awesome vacation and time at WWI.

So I will cut the slack and not ask you 100 questions (Haha, u know that once you get back from your vacation, I will be MSNing you with 100 + questions so get ready :p).

So basically I will just ask you 1 simple question. Are you a Zerg or a Protoss after WWI? You told me that you kick ass with Protoss back in March's build. But now, the Zerg are getting a bit more polished, do you like the Zerg more now? What race are you sticking to in SC2?

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well, firstly, the Nomad still detects. I don't know where that one started but it's false. Secondly the Sensor Dome's radius is ginormous and it detects everything within it. It's so big that Terran players often take detection for granted and build only one or two and have no other method of detection. This is a bad move as a single sacrificed unit can eliminate a Sensor Dome very quickly. I routinely use sacrificial Warp Rays to eliminate them and send in DTs immediately afterward.

No, I think there needs to be some other limiting factor on the Reactor. The Terran are simply producing way too many Marines. Then you throw in a 10 HP upgrade on the little suckers and it becomes ridiculous. Massing Marines in that fashion and that quickly does not fit the Terran race. It doesn't FEEL Terran.

I used Immortals quite a bit but I can't specifically remember using them against Ultralisks. But I can say they would be an excellent counter. They do a ridiculous amount of damage to Armored units (20 +20 bonus, so 40 damage) and they will only take five damage. If your opponent builds only Ultralisks and doesn't have too many Zerglings, then yes, the Immortals would be a great counter. But be wary of Zerglings.

The best Terran counter I found so far was Banshees. I can't recall if they have a bonus but they did so much damage to large units that they were very effective against Ultralisks. Tanks are also just as effective as they were in SC1, so Tanks are a good way to go as well. Marines do decently but as soon as the Ultralisk closes the distance they're all dead. Unless it's just that large a group of Marines and then this discussion is pointless.

Perhaps I'm approaching this wrong. Here's a list of units that didn't work well against the Ultralisk: Jackal, Marine, Marauder, Ghost, Viking, Thor.

I think the Nullifier is a great unit. So good that it hasn't changed much, if at all, since March. I think it's attack damage might even have been boosted a bit. Just about anything that you want taken out of commission can be lifted, so it's a great multi-purpose unit. And at 50 minerals and 150 gas, it's like an early, early Templar. I used it over and over for lifting up Bunkers, Cannons, Marauders, Jackals, Thors, Ultralisks, Tanks, the list goes on.

But as far as interesting and creative? A couple of times I lifted off the pylons of a Protoss enemy who was cannoning. Not only does it make their defenses useless, it can also completely halt their production. The only downside is that the ability only lasts about 5 seconds.

Anything that deals splash. It was great against units like the Baneling. You could attack a group and force the Baneling to kill itself for no reason. But what I meant is that the Guardian is way to expensive for the risk. That means it's better to build just two or three and cause just as much chaos without the risk of all that invested capital.

The mutant larva can move around like a regular unit but I didn't think to try moving them off the Creep. However, I think they can move off Creep without dying. They're quite quick but are a little easier to kill than regular larva. But they cost you no resources, just time, to build, so there's no downside to building these and it infinitely increases your capability to produce units at once, especially tech units that take a long time to build like the Mutalisk or Ultralisk. You can INSTANTLY build these units from a Mutant Larva so long as you had the resources.

A couple of times I used this mechanic to lay a trap. I allowed the enemy into my base and then popped out a couple of Ultralisk instantly which meant those units were in my Ultra's range from the get-go. I kept thinking that I should load these suckers into my Overlords (but you can't) and make insta-drops of huge numbers of Ultralisk with just a couple Overlords.

Retained multiple exits. You can build a number of them and then you click on the one you want to exit and you hit the "unload all" button and all your units pop out, but slowly as if unloading from an Overlord. It's not all at once like you would expect.

Not that I noticed. A lot of the new stuff seemed "dumbed down" since it was a public build.

Name the caster and I'll name it's abilities. There are so many casters...

Yes, you just select "Build Creep Tumor" and then place it within a certain radius. It's 50 minerals and builds very quickly. You can then select your Creep Tumor and say "Build Creep Tumor" and then place this within that Creep Tumor's radius as well. This way you can extend Creep across the map with just one Hatchery as the starting point and no drones.

After WWI I've changed things up a bit. Here's how I rank the races as far as progress:

1. Protoss
    2. Zerg
    3. Terran

The Zerg have made leaps and bounds since March. The Terran, if anything, have gone backward. I absolutely LOVE the new Zerg gameplay. I think they're weak only because of balance and I believe their new core structure is in place. They're not finished like the Protoss but they at least have a central idea to stick with and they feel correct.

So I certainly like the Zerg a lot more, and now the Lurkers are so high tiered that they no longer get in my way ;). But I think it's too early to say I'm making the switch to playing Zerg. I'm still a Protoss player but the Zerg are always #1 in my heart. :p

BTW Ych, you're down to only 99 questions. :p

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You forgot my question.

Are Zerglings too weak or are Zealots too strong? Are Zerglings week because of Banelings?

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Zerglings and Zealots are more balanced than they were in March. Not as much of a problem as it was previously, especially with the Queen being as accessible as early as she is.

17. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    it makes me sad that you said that about the Lurker T_T.

The Mutant Larva sounds nice, just to clarify, are they built from the Queen, and how long is the built time / cooldown?

Every race so far have at least 2 casters, usually 1 Ground and 1 Air, while the Terran have the Ghost(Ground) and Nomad(Air), and the Protoss have the Nullifier, HTs(both Ground) and MS(Air), the Zerg have the Queen and Infestor(both Ground), what would you say would be the Zergs Air caster? the Overlord / Overseer? if so, do you think it fits its role as a supportive Air caster?

what were the abilities of the Infestor?(im hopeing that consume will be back )

adding to the previous question a little, was it worth it to infest a building?

how was the Warp Ray and Phoenix? they were the least mentioned units almost everywhere i looked

Where you able to use the Banelings as Mines? and if so how successful were they as Mines?

i keep hearing that the Nullifier ability Null Void was removed, is that true? and can you give us any more details about it and its other abilities?

i also keep hearing that the MS have an ability called Recharge(or something close to that) is that true?

do you think that the new vespane gas mechanic will stay in the game?

18. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Thanks! I can't wait to try it all out for myself...when ever that is

Poor Terran...how I love them so. I know they'll turn out eventually though.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The Queen turns a Larva into a Mutated Larva as far as I'm concerned. Possibly 30 seconds but after that it can instantly turn into any unit.

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    No, she mutates Larvae from the Hatchery. It takes about 30 seconds to build the Mutant Larva and then at any time later for the same cost it can instantly transform into any unit. There is no cooldown or limit, but the Mutant Larva takes up 1 food and is easier to kill.

I would think it is a combination of the Overlord and Overseer since both are so easy to obtain and none of their abilities are researched. Combined they provide a pretty potent air caster. Changeling, Create Creep, Detection, and large sight ranges are all useful. The Overlord's slime is gone, though.

It didn't have Consume. It has Infest, Disease, and Dark Swarm.

Yes but you can't just infest a building unless it's completely on its own. Infesting a building means the player loses control of the building for about a minute and it produces (ATM) Infested Marines which have a ranged attack, 30 HP, 4 range. They fire slower than Marines. But they're useful as extra units and to attack perhaps a lone building or expansion for free.

That's because not much has changed with them. They have about the same strength and abilities.

Like burrowing them? Just like in SC1 I never bothered researching burrow.

Null Void has been gone for quite a while. It wasn't in the March build and it wasn't in this one either.

Yes, it boosts the mana regeneration of casters in a certain radius. It effectively gives its regeneration to them.

No, I expect them to find something more interesting. That's not to say this mechanic isn't fun, but it's a bit bothersome and requires players to get gas pretty early in order to tech quickly at all. This leaves players very vulnerable to early rushes.