1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kerrigan [spoiler alert]

Discussion in 'Wings of Liberty Campaign Discussion' started by Space Pirate Rojo, Jul 29, 2010.

Kerrigan [spoiler alert]

1. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I have mixed feelings about this.

I guess I understand why it was done. I mean, there were two other choices.

A) She gets away. Which would have probably sucked considering her line would be something akin to a Saturday morning cartoon villain/The Lich King.

"I'll get you yet, Jiiiiiim!" As she's flying away on an Overlord.

B) She gets killed. Which would have just continued Jim's spiraling descent into more of a drunk and haunted man. And hell, he's the guy you're supposted to be rooting for. Since like... was it Metzen at a BlizzCon or something that said this? Or Clotworthy himself? But Raynor was described as the one honest man amidst all this going on.

Which, that trait and everything else of him, makes him such a solid, likeable character. I don't think he'd be very appealing if he became a dark(er?) brooding commander. What with continued snapping and yelling at everyone on the Hyperion.

I think I'm rambling at this point.

Basically, I've still got mixed feelings about Kerrigan being uninfested. The method was really... out of the blue because: 'OH LOOK I JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE COLLECTED THE PIECES FOR THIS ARTIFACT'. Followed by: 'WHAT'S THAT VALERIAN? GOLLY GEE IT CAN REVERT HER INFESTATION?'

OVERALL. It was a bit of an unsteady, but believable execution of it. It's just that it wasn't really what I was expecting to happen. Because I thought Blizzard would grow a pair and make us all depressed at the end of Wings of Liberty.

But thank god she has the tendril/appendage hair still and not suddenly perfect with the red hair back.

2. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    They should of killed her.

Jim could of finally been at peace and moved on.

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    At peace some time after 'damnit why did that even have to happen'.

In a Jim-related note. With Arcturus still in power, will that be wound up in Heart of the Swarm with Kerrigan turning on him for the betrayal, or would Mengsk wind up getting killed off/dealt with in... whatever the future brings us?

Also, thanks and sorry to whoever added the [spoiler alert].

4. Fellborn

Fellborn Guest

I have mixed feelings about what the hell the campaign of HotS will actually have as its storyline. I am so confused right now about what is even going to happen with Kerrigan being human now, and Char basically destroyed. How will they bring down the Dominion and the hybrids with Kerrigan being human now? I am incredibly confused about everything now and I am sad that I can't play the HotS campaign right now and find out.

5. Vendrin

Vendrin Guest

Honestly I think the whole prophecy Zeratul received from "Tassadar" was a setup.

I think the "Fallen One" if that ends up being the true enemy, projected itself as a fake tassadar to zeratul and gave him a vision that would make him want to ensure Kerrigan's survival, and Kerrigan is actually what will cause the "Fallen One's" plans of destruction to be ensured. This way Jim will end up having to kill Kerrigan in legacy of the void and it will be a very stirring ending.

Valerian coming out of nowhere though with these artifacts can cure infestation was a bit annoying, could have used an infodump on how he got that idea. And did infested Kerrigan know that the artifacts could cure her? If not why else was she after them?

6. Queen.B

Queen.B New Member

That`s a good question.Did she try to acquire the artifacts to cure herself?Or did she try to acquire them to keep them safe from the "enemies" who want to cure her?

@ Fellborn : My guess is that HOTS will be about the fallen one`s return.It cant be a coincidence that we got does protoss flash backs.I dont think Blizzard put them there just as a easter egg or something of that nature.

Kerrigan will probably still be able to control some zergs in her human form,i dont think she will magically loose her powers.And i hope she uses them to reap Mengsk into little bits..it will be a fitting revenge for what he did to her.

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    We've had just enough information withheld from us to leave everything frustratingly open-ended. We have no idea why Kerrigan wanted the Artifacts (though the StarCraft Wiki apparently likes to think that she wanted to be human again), and pretty much the only thing we know about Heart of the Swarm is that it will feature Kerrgian continuing to experiment with Zerg strains to increase the power of herself and her swarm.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say HotS takes place around the same time as, if not before Wings of Liberty and ends in the same way, ableit from a different point of view. From what we've seen in the Prophecy missions, it seems only logical to think that Kerrigan will be reincorporated into the Zerg Swarm somehow, since not doing so will mean the end of the StarCraft universe as we know it.

/necropost

8. Arterial

Arterial New Member

I dunno about you guys, but i have a feeling theres gonna be at least ONE zerg (kerrigan) + terran (raynor) vs terran (dominion) level.

9. cryston

cryston Guest

personally, i strongly disagree that kerrigan could have wanted the artefacts for herself to cure herself, because when whoever at blizzard was creating the storyline, they would have realised how rubbish that sounds.
    So it's an epic race for the artifacts to decide the fate of... who gets to press the button?
    The artifact didn't get destroyed in this process anyway did it? If not, then it's possible that whatever else the artifact can conveniently do may still be a part of HotS.

Also, I have to admit that I didn't like the way the artefact conveniently decides;
    "Ok so i'll burn all these weird alien things but this one's pretty so she can live :3"
    fair enough she wasn't originally zurg but... explosions of energy aren't usually smart enough to realise this are they?
    saying that, i think that was explained somewhere, I may just be forgetting, but yeah

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  10. Galgus

Galgus New Member

Conveniently (and for me, thankfully) it doesn't kill any Zerg you mind control onto your side, and good luck coming up with a reason it would work like that.

11. ArchAngely

ArchAngely New Member

Arad, Romania
    @Kaaraa
    You're right! The HotS WILL be in the same time period (or it will begin even a bit sooner) as WoL. It's the only explanation posible given the fact that all about the zerg was a complete mistery during WoL. They attack some planets, searching for the artefacts, Kerrigan saying she knew exactly what those can do (doubt she ment the zerg DNA destruction), the inexplicable zerg retreat and some other things that intrigued me...
    @cryston
    It's kind of the same explosion as on the end of chapter IV in SC when the protos kill all the zerg but not the protos on Shakuras. The artefact just erased Zerg DNA in a given blast radius. The zerg had 100% zerg DNA so they died, Kerrigan had ~50% zerg DNA so she (blizzardish conveniently) survived because she had 50% human DNA (every medic will say it's imposible to survive such intra-cellular bombardement but hey, the story has to be entaertaining and not realistic).

12. Amberlamps

Amberlamps New Member

The XelNaga obviously had some weird technology that no human being could fathom. Some interspellar time space continuum breaking DNA altering Kerrigan curing monstrosity of story line confusing glory that, in my opinion, made the ending pretty freakin sweet.

I mean, the whole story of Raynor revolves so closely around his attachment to Kerrigan. So it makes sense that she return again, even though it is a bit awkwardly put together.

Anyways, wasn't what I was expecting. I thought Kerrigan would die. In my opinion, that would've been the most predictable ending of all, so seeing her be cured of Zerg infestation was kinda cool in my opinion.

13. Arous

Arous New Member

First of all I want to say about my opinion on HotS play time period. I wrote it before in another topics, but not here.
    Now I am sure that HotS will take place right after the WoL, and Kerrigan will be the main character in it. We will see her development as the leader of the swarm, since she lost her powers on Char, but still, she can control the Zerg, and she has to, in order to stop the Hybrids, as was told in the prophecy.

The question for me, is what happened to Sara's mind.
    Queen of Blades were ready to accept the end of universe, and ready to die (remember conversation with Zeratul). But Sara definetly must not, otherwise all the saving effort is lost.
    It's clear that now she's loyal to Jim, but what will happen while her development and power growth? What will happen between Zerg and Terrans after the battle with Hybrids, will Kerrigan betray Jim again, or will it be the happy ending? If it is happy, what will happen to all the Zerg?
    Happy ending means the end of the Starcraft storyline, I guess. But the betrayal-again ending would really, really disappoint me...

14. toni

toni New Member

they didnt just happen to have collected the pieces. Valerian, who wanted to prove that he was better than his father set a plan in motion for them to collect the artifacts, through the moebious fondation to then convince raynor to help him reform the galaxy´s worst mass murederer.

everyone says that it appears out of the blue but no one appreaciates the mastermind of valerian.

15. Galgus

Galgus New Member

If you talk to Hanson I think after the Siege Tank mission, she says that the artifacts are always trying to draw in energy,

She says that (supposedly if assembled) if you are a terran, it is harmless, but if you are a Protoss or a Zerg, it could "suck the life right out of you".

So perhaps Kerrigan sought to use the artifacts against the Protoss or the Hybrid.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  16. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius New Member

I would have guessed the artifact had a different function - it could be used to purge Zerg DNA, but as Hanson said it could suck the life outta you if you were Zerg or Protoss - or both...? I wonder what effect it would have on the Fallen One, depending on what race he was, or on any hybrids. The fact Kerrigan that fighting so hard to stop Raynor from using it suggests she thought it would kill her too, maybe she had no idea as to how the device *could* be used, instead she was concentrating on what she knew it should be used for - killing Zerg/Protoss?

I liked the story a lot actually. You have a lot of different aspects going on at once, a few different mini-stories, and an overarching story you think it what is at the heart of Raynor's life - his insurrection against Mengsk. instead, his storyline get's manipulated so that everything he does brings him to the one place he doesn't really want to be, but knows he has to - confronting Kerrigan. The artifacts being collected from the start was not serendipity, it was Valerian's manipulation. Like father like son, I guess.

As a side note I'm really looking forward to HotS and hoping there's a mission at the start where you play Kerrigan pre-artifact - maybe you command her and her forces in an attempt to destroy Raynor and his troops before he sets off the artifact. The rest of the game is her relearning control of her Zerg which are now free to indulge their baser instincts - namely carving up everything in sight. We were told it will have RPG elements - like regaining control of the Swarm and her old powers now that she's more human?