1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No life after death

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Higgs Boson, Apr 27, 2011.

No life after death

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Higgs Boson, Apr 27, 2011.

1. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Somebody please define the difference between death and life? I feel entirely ignored. :|

2. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    That's not a problem.
    dont say "actual time" just use the words i used >=d
    since u mentioned starting point, ill assuming you mean "our" time.
    Your response didn't make sense to what I was saying...

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

In this case death is defined as a point in time where consciousness and senses are both not present and will never be present at any later point in time.

no, perceived time is our time. You are not the first person to come up with the idea, and perceived time and actual time are the most commonly used terms.

4. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    (several ideas actually)
    actual time has no start.

agreed on definition of "death" for the time being

5. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

You miss understand my post. I've come across hundreds of explanations on how memories is formed during my research, and while most carry and underlining base of where the process of storing memory is started, their similarities with each other end there. It seems to start with certain neurons or brain cells forming into a specific pattern, and then holding that pattern for a prolonged period of time. This is done in several parts of the brain at once, and really.. I can't find anything that really sticks out as a post likely answer. I don't presume that memory is stored in the soul, nor do I believe this. I believe its formed through variables both exterior and interior. Consciousness doesn't seem like a phenomena too me really. I mean you have all these different activites going on in the brain and through out the rest of the bodies. It's more likely that consciousness is simply a by product of that. The memory to me seems more.. mind bogling.. I understand now how its basically stored and retrieved, but.. How does the mind understand them?

As for the split brain thing and I really hate to go into this cause I don't even know the basics of it(Please forgive me if this is wrong.), but after seeing a quantum computer today.... I gotta lol. Okay, So if quantum mechanics work like I think it does. Then if someone has two split personalities, and it was a 50/50 when of which one we could see. Could we fix this issue by simply observing the way the electons flow in his brain?

I know this is off topic, but I gotta ask. I think fenix from what I remember is the one who has a scientist for a dad or something? Think you could ask him this question for me :) And maybe give me names of a few books I could use to get a better understanding about how this works?

Anyways back on topic. No I don't think the soul even exists, but I'm simply stating that it is one possible conclusion one could get from asking those questions. Also, another thought lets say you did the cat in the box trick regarding quantum mechanics, but instead of using a cat you used a person. If no attempt was ever made to discover the result of that experiment. Could that person than live on for ever? Or so long as no one entered the room? I know quantum physics only refers to particles(or I think it does), but I just thought it would be funny to ask.

6. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

Your second paragraph = I am sorry but wat?! I have no idea what you're trying to say there except that it seems you're trying to invoke quantum mechanics which in discussions, 9 out of 10 times, turns out into people babbling nonsense in the end. Care to explain please?

As for your last question, no. The cat in the box wouldn't actually work in the real world, it's a thought experiment used to demonstrate the underlying principles behind it.

That almost sounds like you give creationism and evolution the same amount of plausibility...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

I'm going off the double slit experiment idea.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Nah, those two are about the origin of life. The universe starting by big bang or the universe starting by divine hand, however, both have an undetermined amount of plausibility.

Evolution is pretty much true. Especially since "appeal to god" would just be another factor determining reproduction chance, so even assuming the existence of god, it would still be true.

9. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    I still dont think its a coincidence that we have a soul.
    But if time really IS infinite then the possibilities are also infinite...
    but i just dont think that the way we think can be made be a coincidence, so there must be something else.

10. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Woah woah woah, who said we have souls? People throw out words like "consciousness" and "soul" and "death" and I think some people confuse their meanings when they discuss.

Makki, by soul, are you referring to consciousness?

11. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

If he is he might as well refer to a cheese cake by calling it god.

12. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    agreed with EMR.

will edit post to converse with higgs and jshep later (no time atm)

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I made some delicious god, anyone want a slice?

14. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    I'll take the whole thing pl0x :D

fify

15. Agathelos

Agathelos New Member

You hog! :mad:

16. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

I just thought I'll drop this in here since I am a bit bored at the moment. Same thing just a bit more complete.