1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protoss disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anarticpulse, Jul 19, 2010.

Protoss disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anarticpulse, Jul 19, 2010.

1. asdf

asdf New Member

well, terrans' tech-up is very natural... barracks -> factory -> starport. all of these can also lift off and swap add-ons, so you can switch around as necessary pretty quickly. the only units you can't get with just add-on swapping are BCs, Ghosts, and Thors.

on top of that, it pretty much forces you to have a unit mix, unless you've already decided to concentrate on mech or bio. so even a bronze level player would mass tanks, but they'd naturally have a barracks anyways so they'll pump marines or something- what a nice convenient unit combo!

the protoss tech tree branches off at cyber core, so you have to decide which branch to concentrate on. switching tech takes much longer.

the zerg take longer to tech up period, since it goes
    spawning pool -> lair -> infestation pit -> hive -> tier 3
    whereas terrans are
    barracks -> factory -> starport, and you can reuse tech labs from the barracks for the starport or whatever.
    protoss are
    gateway -> cybercore -> tier 3, but you have to choose one branch of tier 3 out of 3.

at least the zerg can switch army composition immediately, because of how everything is produced at the hatcheries. the problem is i don't think enough zerg players take advantage of that.

2. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    I may address certain things out of order.

First of all, you are acting as if switching add-ons with Terran production buildings is insanely good. It's really not, because once you put that tech lab on that Starport instead of that Rax, you aren't making Marauders or Ghosts anymore. In order to be maintaining a constant stream of both you're still going to have to get more than one or two tech labs. Once a Protoss player gets a couple Gateways and a Templar Archives, he can build High Templars out of all of his Gateways, but if a Terran player wants to build Ghosts out of all of his Barracks, then he has to get a tech lab on each one. That even adds more to the cost of Ghosts when compared to High Templars, a comparison that you never managed to mention in your posts.

And if you don't want to build another building so you can get Phoenixes, then don't! Stalkers are very good against Vikings anyway because of their extra damage towards armored units. So just make more of those! I was just suggesting Phoenixes because they are considered the Protoss Anti-Air, when really I think of them as more of a harass unit because of their speed and ability to lift enemy units.

Also, I just noticed one thing. You said Ghosts get EMP for free and so you don't need to do any research for them. But then later you said High Templars need to research Storm and the Amulet thing so they can spawn with enough energy for storm. Ghosts need to research so they can spawn with enough energy for their EMP as well. Just saying.

Oh right. I said that you will need to micro more than your opponent to win, not to have "similar results." If you were doing all of the micro you mentioned before against a Terran army that is just EMPing your units, then you would win by far.

Also lets compare the Psionic Storm and the EMP. The Psionic storm does 80 damage for 75 energy, over a radius of 1.5. The EMP does 100 damage to shields for 75 energy, over a radius of 2. That means once you get EMPed, you can back up your extremely damaged units and they will automatically start healing themselves. You could say that a Terran player could bring back his damaged units after a Storm, but Medivacs only have so much energy. A shield will ALWAYS heal itself as long as you aren't engaged in a fight.

As for the bit about how much micro you have to do and how many buildings you have to make and how much crap you have to research. Have you watched any replays at all? It isn't as difficult/one-sided as you are making it out to be to defeat a bio-focused Terran (or a meching Terran, but that's not what we are talking about at the moment). Watch these replays:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AskJoshy#p/u/1/wi-cLG1OCw8

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3823643/ (Day[9] explains WhiteRa's build vs. Terran players, there are two parts because the stream crashed, but the build shows it's strength especially in the third game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCeKhsVECo (Here is a game where a Protoss player goes for two early Void rays and the Chargelots to destroy the mass marines that the Terran player was forced to build. The game ends with carriers but it shows how a Protoss player can destroy a mainly biological army and it reinforces WhiteRa's strategy against Terran).

I'm not the best at playing Protoss, but I know what can hurt a Terran player. I figured showing you some replays would be the best way to show you.

/rant

3. grapedog

grapedog New Member

Texas
    I've seen those replays, and I've seen plenty more of a massed MM ball destroying everything in it's path with relative ease, and these are not against scrub players.

I can see I'm not going to change your mind, or even give you pause to think about what I've said. Which is fine, I'm not going to belabor the point that I disagree with you on many of your views.

4. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    Honestly, I'm fine with you ending the argument because you think you aren't going to change my mind, because most times no one ever changes their mind after an argument. But you're telling me that I never even paused to think about what you said? Are you kidding me? That's just insulting. I went through everything you said in your post and said something about it. Don't tell me I'm a mindless Terran fanboy that's just spamming posts to prove that they aren't OP. Because I'm not. I read through every post you said and attempted to refute each point you made, and now the fact that you are telling me I don't think about what you say at all just makes me feel like you've given up and don't want to admit it.

EDIT: By the way, Husky just posted a tutorial on how to survive the early MM ball. Here it is.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    @Caiaphas

you must understand that Terran is considered the most overpowered race as of now, pros say it, casters say it, I notice it on ladder. I play all races well enough to know.

Terrans are 1-2 quick moves away to the next tech, unlike the other races
    Zergs need to get the correct lair/hive tech then get the tech buildings then make sure he has enough larvae
    Protoss needs to get more resources, get 2 tech buildings or get 1 tech building + an upgrade.

the micro needed to stop Terrans with ghosts is far greater than what is required for terrans.
    EMP is an AOE effect with an EXTRA RANGE +1 than high templars, which is a BIG difference.
    EMP does its damage instantly whereas Storm you require to sit inside in order to take full damage, this is where stim gets even handier, to get out.

by 7-8 minutes, a terran player can have a small MM ball with ghosts with stim + cloak + EMP ready + concussive shells. Protoss cannot fight this army head on, they need to back off and catch them off guard to abuse the terrain. Zergs are the same or they have to send wave after wave.

Im not saying Terran is OP indefinitely, just no one has come out with a solid strategy to take out Terrans on an even level.

There is a reason why Terrans win 80%+ of the time at tournaments (GSL, MLG, IEM, ESL, ESWC, WCG, DH, TLOpen, IPL, etc...)

I respect your opinion, however you cannot say that you have taken into account everyone else's opinion when you only have yours to support yourself without doing any research, such as knowing the big picture of Starcraft gaming.