1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Thread for Joneagle_X

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by MeisterX, Aug 21, 2009.

Question Thread for Joneagle_X

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by MeisterX, Aug 21, 2009.

1. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    That doesn't mention whether you can purchase just a franchise, or if you will have to purchase each map individually.

Edit: Will cheats be able to be used in the single player campaign?

Yup. Cheats enabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Can the CC still transport 5 scv?

Yes.

Did they update the Ghost model? Or are they still using the white suit?

Still using the same model.

How does Planetary Fortress attack? Can it attack land and/or air? Does it attack a single target or splash damage?

It does splash damage to ground units. It does not attack air units.

Does the ghost have EMP?

Yes.

How are the nukes?

A lot easier to attain now that they don't screw over your Command Center. They're more mobile but risking the Ghost is still an issue. Great when you have the guy distracted. You can make him choose between massive destruction to his base or faring poorly in the battle you're engaged in at the moment.

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Answered the questions I could. Keep them coming! I'll be working on my gameplay review tomorrow. Check back!

4. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    Not sure how much of this you'll cover anyway in your review
    How often did you see vikings in action on the ground and do you think in more skilled matches they will have a role outside of anti capital ships/colosusses.

Personally I didn't use the Vikings much. I opted more for Thors, Tanks, Ghosts, and Banshees. But the Viking does have bonus damage against "massive" targets which I guess includes the Colossus. It's probably the right counter but I just didn't use it. Frankly my natural reaction when playing against Protoss is not to buy an ATA/GTG unit. You need versatility. :D

Will there be leagues for 2v2 3v3 4v4?

Yes, read up on the Battle.net panel but Browder talked about having matching systems (and ladders) for 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 teams.

Are normal 1v1 matches much shorter than they were in SC?

Just like in SC1 it depends on how well the players match up. I found that matches with Terran in them almost always ended up at least in tier 2. ZvZ tends to stay in tier 1 and 2, etc...

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I think what freedom meant is that the immortal now comes from the robotics facility. At least AFAIK. And in case you didn't get my question about marine critters, I'd be satisfied with any info on critters in general :D

• I think Dustin said that they're still working on making the roach a zerg tank. Do you think making it a melee unit would solve anything?
    We talked to Dustin for a while about the problems at Tier 2 for Zerg. He said "The Roach either needs to man up or get out of the way... I think part of the problem is that Zerg kept so many units from the original.

• Thors are literally running at the moment. Has their turn speed also been increased, thus making it no more than an obese goliath with an ability?
    The only air unit I wouldn't approach the Thor at all with is the Mutalisk. You could take it on with a WarpRay which absolutely decimates the Thor. The Thor's main victims are buildings of any sort. It can literally destroy any building by itself from a range of 8. So it can totally eliminate a Bunker. Also, it's ability "stuns" the building being targeted. So a Barracks will stop building, a Bunker will stop firing, etc... But I did not notice any delay in the Thor's turning ability. However, you could still dance in circles around it with a Hellion.

• Do the carrier, sieged tank, and brood lord have exactly the same range?
    The Carrier has the same range as the Siege Tank, yes. But good luck massing it. This isn't SC1. Mass more than 2 or 3 Carriers and you're already dead. The Brood Lord I can't confirm it's range. I actually think it has a shorter range than the Tank. Around the same as the original. Again, not certain.

• Is the phoenix useful in some non-hypothetical situations?
    Against Mutalisks, yes, but I think the High Templar + Stalkers are a better defense IMO. It's not all that effective against larger air units but it does have the anti-gravity ability which helps immensely with units like the Ultralisk which you can essentially remove from combat and take no damage.

6. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Whats the most useless unit(s) in each race, why, and how should it(they) be fixed?

This is a broad question. Kind of tough to say without having played the game relatively that often... 40 total hours of gameplay in 2 years is nothing on 80 per week. But if I had to choose the weaker units and what's wrong with them...

ZERG:

Hydralisk - Too weak and too expensive. Frankly if I'm paying that much (I think it's 75/50?) for a unit it had better be able to take on Zerglings at a decent rate. Zerglings tear these things up when in SC1 at least they put up a fight.

Queen - She is decent for using as an additional base defender but she's not all that strong. Also she only has two abilities now, Creep Tumor and Larva Spawn. While additional larvae are great and a needed macro mechanic for the Zerg to keep up, her flavor died with her ability to level and gain more abilities along with the Hive. I still think she didn't feel like a hero. She just got slightly better with each tier.

Baneling - Micro makes this unit obsolete for the most part. Even I'm able to focus fire on them and take at least 3/4 of them out before taking any damage. Someone who can really micro won't take any damage at all. But for lower level players it's cost effective.

Brood Lord - It morphs from the Corruptor which is *RETARDED*. What's the deal with that? It needs to morph from the Mutalisk because while it's cool to be able to switch almost instantly from ATA to ATG I can't think of an instance where I would actually want to do that. LOL

PROTOSS:

Immortal - I think it's being built from the wrong building... it's too expensive and requires the upgrade to get hardened shield. That's just too much effort for a unit that's pretty much only good against Tanks and enemy Protoss (it's the perfect counter for Stalkers since it reduces their damage to 5 while you're heaping almost 40 on them). Another point in its favor is that it's in the same building as the Colossus. But that's also a weakness since you have to tech there to get both... 2 for 1 special I guess.

High Templar - Psi Storm has a COOLDOWN! What's the deal with that? Not only does it cost mana but you have to wait to cast more. So either you have a ton of these boys or hope to God you don't miss. He's expensive and weak on his own, at least give him his ability when he needs it! I actually stopped using it in-game because my storms were too unreliable lol. MAKE IT COUNT!

Terran:

Siege Tank - I'm worried about this unit's future. The Thor is ridiculous. It can take down a building, guard the skies, and knock the bejesus out of ground units (2x30 damage = 60 damage) and while it doesn't fire all that fast... with the proper support it's situationally better than the Siege Tank. Not to mention the Thor has a new ability that deals 500 damage (Ghost EMP + Thor = Dead Nexus) But then again, the Siege Tank is also very situationally useful (i.e. ground fortifications). It does have the range on the Thor and the cost but... again, it's not extinct but it's endangered.

Raven - Yes, yes, it's a detector. Yes, yes, it has auto-turrets... But other than that it's a bit bland... Feels like the science vessel... gimme something new! The Orbital Scanner is better and also allows you to call down supplies, etc. Again, if this unit wasn't a detector it would have been axed. It does, however, have a new missile intercepting ability which can cancel out projectiles from the Mothership, Thor, etc... but it's tough to test it out without more play time.

While I'm typing might as well put out the good units....

ZERG:

Lurker - Siege range spines? Wow. Low cost... I build Hydras just to upgrade. Sweet jesus. I still think he needs to come down to Tier 2.5 to bolster the Zerg's lackluster performance there. Also, having to tech to Hydra Den then Lair then Hive then build a Lurker's Den then morph your Hydralisks.... wtf, seriously. Maybe it shouldn't morph from the Hydra. Who knows? But other than that this unit has serious promise. Bye bye Terran infantry strategy! AND it does tons of damage to armor. Drop it behind some tanks and GG.

TERRAN:

Thor - WOW. ;)

PROTOSS:

Stalker - It's been nerfed and STILL wow. It's surpassed the Dragoon so much... Blink is icing.

Oh, and while I'm complaining. The Marauder's slow ability comes straight out of WC3. The ability itself doesn't really bother me but the way it happens does. Your unit looks like it's had "ice" cast on it or something. It moves slowly and turns blue. WTF Arthas, get out of SC2! Go back to the original animation which caused the unit to stop for a moment, then continue moving at normal speed. That worked better and fit with StarCraft a lot more.

And another thing... The Overseer has some new cloud ability similar to irradiate that causes units to take 30% more damage. UMM STARCRAFT SHOULD NOT EVER HAVE PERCENTAGE CHANGES CHRIST!! You can double the damage or increase by 1.5 but not 30%. That's retarded. At least it's not "Increase damage by 30% 20% of the time."

7. UnholyUrine

UnholyUrine New Member

@Heavyarms above
    please don't ask such difficult questions, as the most "useless" unit for each race would surely differ from each person's point of view.
    ... And your avatar's very distracting :p

I read the Battle.net panel (I didn't view video yet) summary.

I am intrigued by this marketplace thing. But how will we get another player's map? Don't tell me that I actually need to pay money for it now? Also, how will there be revenue for map creators?
    This doesn’t seem possible since I’m sure there’ll be a large influx of maps, and there will surely be many different versions of one map. How will we rate maps, and how will others know about the ratings? Unless all maps must be submitted to Blizzard directly, I really don’t see how this could work o_O… Or are the maps here the ones directly made by people of Blizzard, and must be bought, because it seems like it.

Nvm.. I found the thread for this.. lol .. I'll ask there instead :C

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  8. exe

exe New Member

f

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Whew. Just posted a wall of text but some of those comments are going to make it into my full review..

*copy/paste*

10. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

thx john, maybe i should ask a more specific question next time.

can you set the scv to auto-repair?

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes, the SCV will auto-repair in a fairly wide area. I actually lost track of a few of them that way. Good thing for the idle SCV button ;)

12. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

* Oh yeah I forgot to ask about the infestors wellbeing... so hows he doin, did it change at all?
    Nope. Not much. Still has neural cortex which is basically mind control. Also has its plague-like ability and a moveable swarm cloud that deals 15 damage per second.

* Did they give the archon a spell?
    Nope.

* How many times terrible terrible damage was mentioned?
    Every single day. It was quite a joke among StarCraft 2 developers. The back of their shirts actually quoted it.

13. SarkFall

SarkFall New Member

Can you tab through unit types in starcraft 2? For instance if I select a Thor and a Marine, will I be able to hit the tab button to select that unit type in order to use its ability, while still moving the whole army?

Yeah you can still select units by type.

14. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Is terran shield cosmetic, (IE you get the shield when you upgrade to lv. 3 armor), or is it an actual upgrade?

It's an actual upgrade separate from the armor and weapons upgrade. It increases the Marine's HP by 10.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  15. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Heavyarms2050, the Marine shields signifies that the Terran got the HP upgrade for the Marines.

16. RHStag

RHStag New Member

'moveable swarm cloud that deals 15 damage per second.'

moveable??!

Yeah I was wrong about that one. It was removed for this build. Right now it has only Neural Parasite and Spawn Infested Terrans. My bad :D

17. kuvasz

Hungary
    What do brood lord and overseer cocoons look like? :) Are they airborne?

You know it's weird but I don't remember. LOL

18. exe

exe New Member

h

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  19. kuvasz

Hungary
    Only massive units can't be under a colossus, and I think they can cross mineral patches too. As for your argument with the ridge and the cliff, that's like saying that it's ridiculous not to be able to step over a tortoise but be able to over a fence. Height isn't everything - in fact, upto a certain point only lateral dimensions matter.

Yes, Colossus can cross mineral patches but they can't cross a vespene geyser, I assume because it's meant to be built on.

20. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    How was your time playing the latest build of StarCraft 2?