1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Thread for Joneagle_X

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by MeisterX, Aug 21, 2009.

Question Thread for Joneagle_X

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by MeisterX, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I answered some more Qs, keep them coming. Make sure to ask here instead of in the Review thread.

I remember someone asking about critters but now I can't find the post. Anyway I only saw one critter that I remember and it was called a "Lyconus" and looked like some sort of Egyptian cheetah lol.

2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

What are the abilities for the battlecruiser?

There's an upgrade at the Armory that allows the Battlecruiser to "specialize" in a particular ability. You can then choose for the Battlecruiser to have either Defensive Matrix (reduces damage taken by half), Aerial Barrage (does damage to air units in an AoE), or Yamato Cannon (does 300 damage to a target).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  3. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Which unit surprised you the most? and what is your favourite unit?

I didn't think the Thor was going to be as useful as he was.

My favorite unit is the Hellion. I love that burning death animation for Zerg.

4. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

The M.U.L.E, how do you get it and how does it function?

You need an orbital scanner. It requires 25 mana, but you can call it down on ANY mineral patch that you can see. So you can call one down at your expansions as well.

If I recall correctly, you could "heal" the marauder with a SCV.

I think the Marauder requires the Medivac to be healed

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    If I remember correctly, the Zerg now have seperate rally points for Drones. Is that something Zerg players can get a big advantage out of, or just a little addition?

Yes, there's a separate rally for Drones to go to resources... I don't think this is a major thing since the Protoss and Terran just have separate buildings for their units.

About the larger unit selection, is it now more common to go for large numbers of Zerglings, since they are more easy to control? (I am personally quite fond of the Trailes where Zerglings swarmed around the Marines and Tanks.) So in short: how does the larger selection limit affect tactics for Zerg?

Well it definitely makes it easier to select groups. You don't have to spend time splitting the groups into manageable sections. But you have to remember that your opponent has the same benefit. But I do think it makes it a lot easier to come in from different directions at once. That would be the tactics change that you're talking about. You can select your Banelings while they're in a larger force and use them to cut off your enemy's retreat (since I've found the Banelings are actually a good way to scare your opponent into suiciding and are better at preventing reinforcements than killing a main force.

6. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Terran turrents, does it have detection? Or do you need a Sensor tower nearby? Can the enemy still see your sensor tower once it is built?

The Sensor Tower has redundant detection. The Missile Turret also detects.

7. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Can the mule attack? if so, call it down on an enemy's base xd

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Of course, but you have Marines in Drop Pods for that.

9. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    anything new about the ghost? are they still using the new model? how is the psi snipe working out?

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ Aurora,

Drop pods were cut from the game.

@ 1n5anity,

No, M.U.L.E.s would not be used for that. Not sure if they actually attack but their life is so short it wouldn't be worth it.

@ aem1,

The Ghost's snipe does 45 damage and ignores all armor. So it does 45 damage to any biolgical unit regardless of upgrades, etc. This makes it VERY effective against High Templar as you can kill one with two snipes instantly. It's also a cooldown ability so it doesn't drain your mana.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Are they also cut in campaign then? (Drop Pods) That would be really disappointing. Also: I'm pretty sure they can attack. Even an SCV can do that. I always use workers in SC 1 to help with the first attack wave. Especially vs Zerg.

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    No they're still in there. Actually I believe the M.U.L.E. is the adaptation of the original Drop Pod animation. They just moved it over. You can see some screenshots of the single player campaign where Drop Pods are used.

[​IMG]

13. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

If you could add some things or change some things for the zerg what would it be after playing them? This includes there tree, units, adding new abilites, strenght, ect.

I would prefer the Lurker in tier 2 and maybe axe a couple of the original units. I think the Hydra is holding the Zerg back. The units are so similar to SC1 while only the mechanics have changed. They really haven't been "revolutionized" like the Terran or Protoss have been, just adapted to survive somewhat. Moving more units while burrowed like the Roach would help. Great mechanic.

I saw the Stalker get a damage change (reduction) but did they get any change to their health?

I believe they're 150 HP. I don't know if that's what they were before.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  14. Renatus

Renatus New Member

• Did you by chance get to see marines being hit by shell fire? If yes - then did they explode into various pieces like when the game was originally announced? More importantly;
    Yes. If a group of Marines is hit by a projectile like a Siege Tank pieces will explode. Same with Banelings

• Did you notice much use of the physics engine?
    When air units died, yeah. Otherwise I don't know that SC2 has much that would really quantify as "physics related rendering."

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

*Is there an auto-cast function in the game?

Yup. SCVs can auto-repair and various other units have autocasting. Only for passive abilities and non-macro. So the Queen can't auto-cast larva.

*Are D8 charges limited to 3 count or energy based like the ghost snipe?

They're cooldown based. I think you get two and then it's like 40-60 seconds before u can use them again. And the Ghost's Snipe is not energy based. It is also cooldown.

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Was the Sensor Tower useful? Did you have a decent amount of time to react to the incoming threat?

It's useful but you shouldn't just build them all over. On top of letting you know where your opponent is, it also has the nasty side effect of letting your opponent know where you've been and where you might have fortified. Even if they're not even close. Plus, it's obvious that you have it you had better watch any areas NOT covered by it.

17. exe

exe New Member

what was the game-music like?

Interesting. A couple of the soundtracks are updated versions of the original SC1 but a couple more are more modern sounding. The Terran have a modern alternative feel to them. It's pretty fun. Zerg is rock-ish with a lot of reverb of course. The Protoss have a more generic track with lots of instrumentals like strings and horns.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  18. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Does the Merc Compound contain any upgrades especially for Reapers?

Yup. D-8 Charges.

19. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    D'you mean you want all Zerg ground units to be able to move while burrowed, or a select few?

While we're at it, would you be satisfied if they axed the Roach, gave it's proposed abilities (burrowed movement or burrowed super-regen, whichever makes the cut), and moved it back to tier 1.5?

20. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    They're zerg. why should they revolutionize?

*ahem*
    *AHEM*
    *ahem*
    ok. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??
    *ahem*
    K can you please provide the details for the stalker in the latest build.
    Hp, shields, dmage, armor, range, blink ability, bonuses, etc. *ahem*
    yea thx :)

Well, unfortunately I opt to take a different route than most when checking out the game. I don't sit there writing stats, etc. Instead I focus on getting a good feel for the gameplay and figuring out how units interact. But I can give you a few stats:

HP: 100 Shields: 80
    2 Supply
    Range: 6
    Damage: 2x10
    Armor: 1

It doesn't have any bonus damages.