1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SC II maps marketplace

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by Higgs Boson, Aug 21, 2009.

SC II maps marketplace

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by Higgs Boson, Aug 21, 2009.

1. SarkFall

SarkFall New Member

Buying the mpas will make it so we don't have to worry about people dling the mpa as they join, but will there be enough players buying one map to have a full house, or will people be waiting forever and not to get to enjoy their payed for map. . .

2. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I think this is a bad idea and will hurt the PC gaming community in the long run. The reason being that one of the great things about PC is all the FREE and custom content the players themselves make for the various games. When you start making it official and start charging for stuff it takes that feeling away. Sure people can still make stuff and some of it will be free but all the decent or good content people make will probably not be. It's hard to describe but it just takes that community modding feeling away for me when they make a marketplace for them and start charging for some of them.

The next reason is I fear it will give ideas to other companies and they will start doing similar things and PC gaming will turn into how DLC and stuff is run on consoles today. Where you can you go through a system and purchase everything.

3. asdf

asdf New Member

i think it all comes down to "try before you buy"

nobody should buy a map on its first (alpha or beta) version. those should be free for several reasons:
    - building up an audience
    - more playtesters to figure out balance and bugs

only after they've built up a good following should a mapmaker start charging money (if they want to). if people already playing it think it's worth the money, they'll buy it. if not, they just keep playing the old versions.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Pancake. Like 0.1 - 5 % of all maps will have a price tag. They mentioned something about a future sc dota not being worthy of a price tag due to the lack of original content. This is only for the really crazy, and thus price worthy maps.