1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starcraft 2 Installation Error Code 5 (stops at 49%-51%)

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Tech Support' started by s2Blaze, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Starcraft 2 Installation Error Code 5 (stops at 49%-51%)

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Tech Support' started by s2Blaze, Sep 7, 2010.

1. s2Blaze

s2Blaze Guest

Hey guys, s2Blaze here today with an error involving the installation of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty.
    I just bought this game today and got home to install it, hoping to be able to play it. But while installing the game, at 51%, an error box popped up saying:

"The installer was unable to read the file "Repack-MPQ\fileset.enUS#Campaigns#Liberty.SC2Campaign#enUS.SC2Assets\Assets\Textures\cinematic_bettermarine.ogv". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at E:\--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The error code was 5.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (ReadJob::Execute)"

At the bottom of the installer says "Cleaning up..."
    I can see that the statement above says it could be a scratched or dirty CD, but come on, I just bought the game today.

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

Thank you,
    s2Blaze

2. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Try this?

Go to your directory where u were gonna install sc2 and see if there are any files there about sc2. if so, delete them.

reboot, take the cd, blow on the back (oldschool like ;) ), and retry :D

3. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Even though you have already posted in another thread regarding this issue, the important thing is something we can't see in the picture you posted: How far did it get? If the installation froze around 50%, it may be a duel layer switching problem with your DVD drive.

If that is the case, post a dxdiag here and we'll see if we can track down a newer firmware for your DVD drive. Its also possible that your drive is simply worn out and needs replaced, which is the case we've been finding all to often with people who post this issue with a laptop. I'm not saying it is the case, but if you post a dxdiag here we can lookup a firmware update and rule it out one way or the another.

To run dxdiag=> Windows_logo_key+r, dxdiag. If you have 64-bit windows, click the button at the button that says "Run 64-bit DxDiag," Then save all the data by clicking "Save All Information..." zip/rar the text file and attach it to the post. Instructions on how to zip here. To create a rar file, first download and install winRAR then read this guide here.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    He said the error occured at 51%.

Also, nice wallpaper. I wonder what the censored folder contains :D

5. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Must be blind. Its almost certainly a duel layer switching issue.

Truth is I'm in a rush to catch up on support so I can go get foodz. I'ma hungry,

6. s2Blaze

s2Blaze Guest

@1n5an1ty - I will try that.

@kuvasz - Haha, thank you.

@TheXev - I have the DxDiag txt file ready, it's going to be down there at the attatchments.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  7. rpgfailure99

rpgfailure99 New Member

Same Problem

Hi, sorry to post in your thread, but I have the exact same problem.
    I am installing to around 50% and it gives me this error:

The installer was unable to read the file "Repack-MPQ\fileset.base#Mods#Liberty.SC2Mod#base.SC2Assets\Assets\Textures\planetview_charterrainspecular.dds". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at D:\--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The error code was 5.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (ReadJob::Execute)

So I ran chkdsk on cmd with no errors.
    I also did the dxdiag and have it run through my computer
    I also have an attachment of my results.
    Hopefully you can help.
    I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

8. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    s2Blaze: After checking your system specs for your HP Pavilion a6700f, you've got bigger problems then the DVD drive. You need to look into a new video card, the built in 6150 SE is below min spec for StarCraft II. You will not enjoy playing the game on that machine as is. The power supply is only 300W's too, so you'd want to upgrade that as well for the new videocard.

On the bright side, it seems a firmware might may very well fix your installation problem. Your DH16A6L-C has a firmware update that specifically addresses reading duel layer media like the StarCraft II installation disc.

rpgfailure99: I would be forced to assume that you have some kind of Laptop, but I can't be sure its from Dell. If its from a different manufacture, post it the make and model here and don't download the Dell firmware update (just yet).

Your DS-4E1S has a firmware update from Dell, but if its from another manufacture (or even a Desktop.. cause your machine REALLY looks like a desktop), you may wish to tell me who that is so we can look that up. You also appear to be missing your chipset/SATA drivers.

Telling me your make and model of laptop will help me out tremendously.

9. Thatsme090

Thatsme090 Guest

Hey,

I'm also going to poach this thread. I'm having the same exact error, but from what I could tell my firmware is up to date (just used Samsung's Liveupdate tool). I really would appreciate some help with this, I was finally able to pick up SC2 today and now I can't play it!!! That is torture defined.
    My dxdiag is attached.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

10. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Thatsme090: Feel free to chime in, I am sticking this thread. XD

The newest firmware I can locate for your SH-S223Q is "vSB03" dated 2009/01/28.

As for any changes it addresses I can't say. I would wager that is the firmware you are running.

To see if you have any issues with other duel layer disc, get a hold of the movie like Gladiator and navigate to chapter 14 (region 1 US) and see if you can watch the movie past the layer change on the computer.

As for other things I noticed about your MA790GP-UD4H motherboard, your chipset drivers, ACPI (SATA hard drive controller drivers), AMD SATA RAID Driver are all missing. You can install newer drivers for pretty much everything off that page (audio, LAN).

The problem is... the chipset drivers include an old video driver for the onboard video.... and I have a theory (one I wish I could test) that everytime you uninstall the AMD video drivers, that it may be uninstalling "all AMD/ATI software."

Worst part is, I don't know what steps you'd go about installing the chipset software when the AMD video drivers are such a pain to install.

11. rpgfailure99

rpgfailure99 New Member

I have a notebook that is MSI Gx660r.
    Hopefully that is helpful.
    Thanks a lot.

12. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    This is the downloads page for your MSI Laptop. I would install the Intel chipset drivers, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, and Intel Turbo Boost... and pretty much any other driver on that list if your not sure if its installed or not (or its newer).

The "Firmware" section has one update called "NB EC Firmware" which.... I have no idea what its for. There is no readme, or anything... I don't know if its a BIOS or ...what it is. I would give that Dell firmware a shot on your DS-4E1S Blu-Ray drive... it shouldn't hurt since its the same part. Follow the instructions on the Dell website at the bottom.

If your not comfortable with using Dell's firmware, contact MSI and see if they can provide you with a firmware update to try.

Have you had this computer for awhile? It seems pretty new.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  13. arin

arin Guest

14. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    arin: are you getting this same error, or a different one?

15. rpgfailure99

rpgfailure99 New Member

I seem to be still getting an error now at 80%
    The installer was unable to read the file "Repack-MPQ\fileset.base#Mods#Liberty.SC2Mod#base.SC2Assets\Assets\Textures\planetview_charterrainspecular.dds". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at D:\--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The error code was 5.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (ReadJob::Execute)

I couldn't install the driver from dell.
    It says wrong type of hardware.
    Hopefully you can help.
    Thanks.

16. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  17. rpgfailure99

rpgfailure99 New Member

Hopefully you can help me TheXev.

18. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    rpgfailure99: it may be time to start downloading the package from Blizzard. You could go to another computer with a working DVD drive and then copy the files to a flash drive... its an idea someone else posted in another thread.

19. rpgfailure99

rpgfailure99 New Member

Alright, thanks a lot.
    You have been very helpful all this time.
    I really appreciate it.

20. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Only reminder I have about the download version... take the DVD out of the drive. That's it. Wish I could get the drive working for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.