1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCraft 2 Is Now A Trilogy

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by TychusFindlay, Oct 10, 2008.

StarCraft 2 Is Now A Trilogy

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by TychusFindlay, Oct 10, 2008.

1. UziSuicide

UziSuicide New Member

Personally, I'm all for it. ESPECIALLY if it means that we'll all get our hands on at least the Terran campaign relatively sooner than later! I'm way exited for this game as is so many others. From what I've seen so far, I'm absolutely juiced with how the game is coming thus far. I'm totally fine with just the Terran campaign coming out first for two reasons. The first is because, like we've all seen, the new campaigns for each race are going to be close to 3 TIMES the amount of levels in each campaign then previously in SC and BW. That means it'll likely take a fair amount of players quite a bit longer to make their way through the entire first released Terran campaign. You have to understand that this being a new game, there obviously is going to be a fair amount of new stuff to learn and become familiar with. The computer's ai will likely be a bit stronger and more challenging. With new units and many new abilities comes learning totally new strategies and build orders and this all takes time, while during this time spent working your way through the terran campaign and learning new strats, Blizz will be working hard to finish up and release the Zerg campaign, and so on... As for the cost, I'm not rich yet myself so paying up to or around $60 for each campaign, as it's released, sounds like a bit much, but considering they'll possibly be released up to a year apart from one another, if you don't buy any other video games in that time period (which will most likely be the case for me) then it's not so bad. For me, it'll be worth it simply because this is the SOLE game I've been waiting patiently for, for the past few years, so to spend as much as $60 even for the Terran campaign, then another $60 for the Zerg a year later and another $60 for the final Protoss campaign a year after the Zerg, it's not so bad. I anticipate this game being completely worth every penny even at a total cost of $180, as ridiculous as that may sound to some. That second and final reason I'm ok with this being a trilogy now is that my key interest in this game (although I am excited for the new much larger campaigns and all the additional cinematics, etc.) is the multiplayer, online, battle.net action!!! I still play regualr ole Starcraft on US West server on a fairly regular basis and although competition sure is light these days, people still are playing even nilla!!! I mean after 10 years!!! And SC2 undoubtedly is going to STOMP SC and BW. It's just new, it's fresh, the graphics are all caught up with today's standards and are looking awesome as far as I'm concerned. I can tell they're working very hard on making sure all the new units, as well as the old that remain, are beautifully balanced like everything was for the most part in SC and BW, so I'm convinced this game is going to keep me perfectly occupied for the next 10 years and possibly longer! 10 years of happiness and enjoyment of playing one game is well worth up to $180 for me if it ends up being that much overall. Blizzard's idea of making their games easy to get the hang of but hard to master is the coolest thing that ever happened to video games. It really keeps each game fun to play for a loooonnnnngggggg time!

Talk about a text wall!!! hahahaaa.. at least mine is a positive one!

Oh and the last thing I wanted to say regarding the cost possibly being or seeming high to some, is that it sure beats EVER having to pay a monthly support payment for the use of Battle.net. Monthly payments SUCK and for you youngsters on here who don't live on your own yet, who don't pay rent monthly, utility bills monthly, car payment and insurance monthly, your own cell phone bill monthly, etc.... the last thing I want IS ANOTHER MONTHLY BILL!

Alright, I'm done for now, take it easy guys, I can't wait until I get my hands on this game!!!

Please do not double/triple post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Well I'm flattered by both of your posts, but I'm quite over it. I still don't understand how people can be so happy about the trilogy when it postpones the Zerg campaign by about 8 months and the Protoss by god knows how long, so in effect, you won't feel warm and cozy from the first product if you're a fan of either, you'll just get the multiplayer smacked in your face. No learning curve, no lore, no nothing. Although the multiple threads for one story is a good idea, it hardly makes up for this huge hole in the lore that will affect 2/3 of the community.

But I think I'm done trying to understand it since it's not like any of us can change the plans. I'm just happy Terran has grown on me over the past months.

3. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    sure *roll eyes*, it this im having a problem with, people keep on saying that its going to be 3x the missions compared to SC, or 30 more missions at the end compared to SC:BW, BUT Blizzard already was planning on giving SC2 2 expansion before they even considered turning SC2 into a trilogy, and as that they usually have about 10 mission per race, we will still get about 90 at the end. so even if it was a trilogy or not we would have gotten about 90 missions.

4. 30 + 30 = 60

@UziSuicide: I got two words for you .. Edit... Button

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    and what is that supposed to signify? SC + BW = 60, while SC2 is 30x3 = 90, they said that if they didnt do this they would have to shorten the missions? but by how much? if you think about it, with the way they wanted the Terrans Campaign to be like, 10 mission would = very little optional missions that would make little use of the mechanic, while around 30 seems to be the max per race that they are willing to go, with 20 they would have been able to make decent use of the mechanics and most likely would have been just fine with adding the other races campaign with the first disk.. so thats 20x3= 60, But wait, then there are the 2 expansions that planned on making weather it was a trilogy or not, and would very most likely have 10 mission per race per expansions, so now its 20x3 + 10x3 + 10x3 = 120. now which one looks better? the missions would have been at least 90 weather they made it a trilogy or not. sure the trilogy made it so they could release the first disk faster, but we would most likely have gotten more missions without the trilogy. some of us have been waiting for SC2 for 10 years, a few more years wouldnt have made us change out minds.

what is it that we really trade in order for us to have the game sooner?

6. Speculation \=\ Facts

Also, your way of typing was a bit hard for me to read so I won't try to say much more about :(

7. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    speculation does not = facts? hmm, then i guess that we all should stop saying that Sc2 will be a good / great game. as well as "blizzard knows what they are doing". and a few other things as well.

8. You missed my point :D I'll leave it at that for now.

9. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i didnt miss the point, based on a few facts, and some speculation, you view this trilogy thing, as "best idea ever", how is that not different than me speculating based from the facts we have, that we could have gotten more missions?

10. *sigh*

Speculation \=\ Facts

That's ALL I'm saying.

11. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    and now we are brought around full circle without you answering my question.

12. Let me rephrase this..

I don't think so

--

Also, if you're going to speculate please don't state it as a fact. We get several problems all over the internet this way. I bet there's topics in other forums right now going on about how how some Blizzard Insider tipped someone off that we were going to get two expansions either way :D (Just kidding)

Furthermore, my "speculation" that it was the "best idea ever" was just to show my excitement. I was stating an opinion.. not stating a possibility as a fact. We were doing two completely different things. In summation, don't state speculation as facts :(

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    so you dont think different opinions are =?

you kid, and i give.

source : http://www.starcraftwire.net/n/1231/150-to-play-full-starcraft-ii

opinions are what we feel about facts that we have and our speculation with those facts.

14. DAMNIT MAN!!! WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??!?!!

I'm not saying anything is wrong with your opinion... Okay? I already told you I had a fairly hard time understanding what you were saying. I was trying to be nicer about it but.. whatever ...

Also, IN MY OPINION, concentrating more thoroughly on a more condensed timeline is better. Also, we don't know if two "expansions" are all we will get. Chris Sigaty already said in an interview that "we are open to the idea of more than three" products so if they had enough story to go for three "complete" campaigns like in Brood Wars then they could possibly keep going further. I assume, by what you were saying, that you were saying Blizzard originally wanted to extend the timeline three times longer instead of making "one timeline" three times more thorough.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Having more or less missions has nothing to do with it.

This is probably the most comprehensive single player campaign ever undertaken in the RTS genre. Its length and the amount of work going into it are unprecedented.

And we'll still have the multiplayer gameplay. I just don't see what the fuss is about!

Who ever said Blizzard is never wrong? I'm usually the first to critique the way SC2 is being developed. I'm hardly ever totally positive about changes. I've played the game and I've played almost every RTS out there. StarCraft 2 tops every one by a long shot.

Blizzard isn't all-knowing and it's possible for them to make a wrong turn. This just isn't one.

16. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    haha, im back. sorry about that, my twin managed to break my code to get in here, while i was going to a friend of mine to help him lug furniture and hang out. my brother is very pugnacious and loves to make me look like one as well. if you want i will delete those posts of his. my last post was was when i was replying to Jon.

17. :eek: HEAD EXPLODES :eek:

Please, don't delete the posts... and if you read my response I updated it somewhat since (I think) you read it :D

18. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    interesting, the only thing i agree with him is that opinions are what we feel about facts and speculations.

aside from that. i give him Pi out of 10.

19. NO WAI!!!

:eek: HEAD IMPLODES :eek:

Atleast, we agree on something .. I agree that opinions = opinions :D

20. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    so this thread just came out of the fire and into the frying pan..

back on subject..

-besides the Xel'Naga watch tower are their any other structures that can be occupied?
    -any new screenshots with the new bc ability or even new design of the bc with the new ability?
    -any date on the terran campaign? and since we last heard that the campaign was 1/3 done, was this toward the terran campaign or whole SC2 trilogy?

ty