1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCraft: Brood War is Dead

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by MeisterX, Mar 2, 2010.

StarCraft: Brood War is Dead

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by MeisterX, Mar 2, 2010.

1. hertaru

hertaru Member

GG starcraft

after a very long time people shall GG starcraft and move on.

2. ZelashOculah

ZelashOculah New Member

Over There
    Unfortunately... *sniff* I can agree that SCBW is Dead. probly mostly because of SC2's release, being extremely close by, but also because of some of the fans. I mean the ones who say they're noobs but infact they are far from it. Every time I play on SC Battle.net I find someone who obviously isn't a noob, well okay not everytime but enough that it's a really annoying problem. I doubt any true SC fan will stop playing SCBW or SC1 for good, but it is dead. these "predators" could be a result of SCBW's death, as most who play melee, could have just simply stopped playing and given SC2 a try.

For the most part, I know that SCBW is dead and accept it as fact, but that won't stop me from casting revive on it and playing with it for awhile (awhile being until I get the money to get a cmop and play SC2 (YAY! for when that happens xD))
    But fourteen years is a nice, full life for an excellent, antique game.

3. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    StarCraft: Brood War is NOT dead.
    Today, over 10k games were on at US East.
    iCCup is still a strong, competitive server.
    Almost any *good* and some bad map can be found if you search long and hard enough.

I don't think I will ever quite give up StarCraft: Brood War. StarCraft II retains the feeling, but doesn't quite capture the "OMFGIPWNEDYOUWITHZERG" feeling for me.

4. ZelashOculah

ZelashOculah New Member

Over There
    well okay it's not dead... but you want a game to use as an example for that? try Diablo. it's as dead as a turnip.

5. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    nice necro (kinda)
    Diablo is still running o.o

6. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Its running but Diablo usually only has like... 10 public games up. The rest are private, for bored friends.
    At least the last time I've checked.

Later in the future, that's what I see for SC1. A handful of private games, very few public.

7. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    SCBW is not dead! A mate of mine played SC2 at my PC and he remembered the good old days, but his PC cannot run SC2, so because he wanted to play and I wanted to play with him, we ordered new copies of SCBW a while ago, lolz! So i'll be playing SC2 generally and when my friend can broodwar!

8. Chunky

Chunky New Member

funny part is i played sc1 for 4 years but only gamed on bw mabye 30 game top lol. gotta love the ums on the bw tho. just brough sc2, but i still get on sc1 once a while to play. cant beat the simple days.

9. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    SC1 was dead for me the day I started playing SC2 beta. I never liked the UI in sc1. Age of Empires came out in 1997, and even that game allowed me to control almost my entire army at the same time, i think the grouping was ~25 units, so when your max pop is 50 that entails your entire army force.

AoE2 came out the same year SC did, and its UI was way, way better than sc1's was; more units per grouping and had much better graphics and unit design.

The main thing that made me play SC1 was how diverse the races are, which AoE lacks except for a few units. But SC2 has replaced that and has the UI and graphics I always wished SC1 had.

10. Takaim

Takaim Member

Has anyone checked out BW lately? xD Sh*t really is dead. There's no games on there besides latted games, and spam maps that send you to the SC2 site or just crash your game. There's like 14000 people online as well which is rediculously low. xD....Not gonna lie..made me sad... Wanted to play some old games but it's just not happening I guess. =/

11. Yoyoma

Yoyoma New Member

Wow BW was such an awesome game. It's almost a shame no one is playing it anymore. Oh well, Starcraft 2 is sick and I'm happy with it.

12. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    not noone! my ex-roommate, me and all 4 others online on b.net are playing it still! :p

13. SOSHaruhi101

SOSHaruhi101 New Member

Eh? How can something be dead if people still regually play it.

If your refering to Battlenet, then I wouldn't know (I don't play Battlenet) But I know a number of people whom own Starrcraft 2 and still regually play the original.

So I would say it's like a old grandfather. He may not be in as good shape as he was in the past, and he may not be visted as much, but he isn't dead.

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Maybe he is dead and you've just propped him up in the corner with a string on his arm that waves...

15. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    I said warcraft 3 was dead when World of Warcraft came out and the player population literally died, but then Warcraft 3 went through it's best times during that time.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Except that World of WarCraft was a totally different game than WarCraft 3. Same story, sure. But the population of the game didn't decline because of it. In fact, WarCraft 3 is still veryr much alive...

Hard to say the same for StarCraft: Brood War which is populated solely by bots and hardcore players who refuse to buy the new game. Not exactly the same situation.

It's dead.

17. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    If sc:bw was remade with newer graphics, it would be better than SC2 atm.

18. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The vastly improved pathing would make Zerg extremely overpowered. We've been over this already. Many times. :p

19. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Playing protoss with the new pathing would feel extremely out of place. Dragoons walking in a straight line, wtf?

20. SOSHaruhi101

SOSHaruhi101 New Member

I lol'd.

Also whats pathing?