1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starcraft II trilogy Poll

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by Seradin, Oct 11, 2008.

?

What do you think of the Starcraft II Trilogy announcement?

1. Good

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  2. Bad

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Other (explain)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%

Starcraft II trilogy Poll

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by Seradin, Oct 11, 2008.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Tychus I think you're a little overzealous and should stop mowing down people who'd prefer one product. Not everyone is into Blizzard and SC or are well off to the extent where they don't care about money. If you think about it, from the point of view of the original plan, you get 1 game for ~$160, which is quite a lot. Not to mention the hassle of keeping more discs. Especially if someone buys a new computer solely for SC2 and finds out that he'll need to spend that much more to play the game properly.

I have ambivalent feelings about making SC2 a trilogy for the above reasons and I haven't decided on a final verdict. But even if I had, I wouldn't cut people in half for daring to disagree with me.

2. Triceron

Triceron New Member

We don't know the pricing so it's too early to assume $160 immediately off the bat. You never know if the expansions will be 30 or less.

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Exactly. I don't understand why everyone's b*tching at Blizzard for when they don't know the details yet. I'm betting that it'll be $50-ish for Wings of Liberty and $30 for the other two. After all, Blizzard said these are basically expansion packs. If they said Starcraft 2 will ship with only the Terran campaign but with a full multiplayer and skirmish suite and the other campaigns will be added in expansion packs, people wouldn't be b*tching at them like this.

4. kuvasz

Hungary
    They can't be less because they're just as functional as the first. This is exactly the reason I said not to refer to them as expansions because people assume they'll cost and contain less than the original. They'll contain exactly the same amount of SC2, and will work without requiring either of the other two 'packs', so there's no reason for them to be cheaper at all.

5. Light

Light Guest

All Im saying is that they could have released all of this in one game and not chop it up into 3 games and sell them for more. Yes, I have the money, but why do i have to pay more anyway? What, is it going to be ''released'' sooner? you only get a part of it sooner, but you still have to wait for the rest, not to mention if you're a protoss fan.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  6. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Uncalled for. You shouldn't base your current life style and money handling to the rest of us. I see no reason for you to mow people down based on a subject you brought up. We stated our money problems and you call us insane for not wanting to buy the rest of the game. A lot of of us stated we would buy at least 1 package and that ONE package WOULD last us 10 years because of online play. The rest, I'm wont even try until the game goes a little cheaper. You want to buy the full game? Go for it. I'm not telling you how to spend your money, you should do the same.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  7. Triceron

Triceron New Member

Was Frozen Throne not as functional as Warcraft 3? It had full campaigns, it doubled the amount of creeps and spells, and the singleplayer was MUCH more focused than Warcraft 3's bland kill X system of quests.

Expansions are cheaper because they don't need the full brunt of tech to create. It would be very bad marketting if each 'expansion' was the same full price.

8. I'm not mowing down people. I'm just saying that calling Blizzard money *****s is uncalled for and ridiculously hypocritical. What I said was a natural response. I won't apologize for it.

You misinterpreted the purpose of my post. I barely said anything about their "opinion" when compared to the rest of what I was trying to say. I was just saying that calling Blizzard money *****s because they made an MMO (How many companies have made MMOs? You don't call them money *****s) and flaming them because they are willing enough to give us two expansions instead of one is............................. beyond words. You say nothing about StarCraft: Brood Wars, WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne, the Dawn Of War expansions, or just about any other expansion. I call that hypocrisy and I feel I am correct in saying so. The worst case scenario is that you are paying a maximum of 60$ more... big deal.. Each box will bring new units to the multiplayer, enhanced features for the campaign editor, obviously the campaign additions, and will ensure that balance is brought much quicker... on top of allowing the game to be much more epic in scope and more fleshed out.. AND BEING RELEASED YEARS SOONER!!!

AH HA! You have the money! I was correct!

Obviously, you have no idea on the specifics of this. You aren't getting the same amount of game for 3x the price.. Each campaign will be expanded with more cinematics, and adventure-style "overworld" mechanics and screens, and many more missions.. as well as more multiplayer content and balancing. Also, obviously, you weren't informed about the mini-campaigns which will allow you to play the race you want to play with so damn badly. Just like i said, your position on this comes from you not taking the time to find the specifics.. just like I said.

But, do you really mean to tell me me you wouldn't have bought another expansion pack after Brood Wars for the original StarCraft and would have flamed Blizzard for giving us more content? Surely that isn't the case... What about if Brood Wars was never released? What if Blizzard wanted to save us that money and cut back on their ambitions and gave us half the game it could have been. Would you be as much of a fan as you are now? I HIGHLY doubt it!

Why don't you read the interviews and the news. I think you are SADLY mistaken on why this came about. I say so because I've been having this same discussion with dozens of other people and they completely change their mind once they realize that we're getting 3x the game for 3x the price.. The price isn't even the problem. I would pay that just to get it sooner. The problem is them making the game great and getting it to us. Would you seriously complain about paying such a small price for more of these features? If you say yes, why the hell aren't you *****ing about Brood Wars or The Frozen Throne? All of these are adding the same content. The only difference is that the story is StarCraft 2 is much more epic (Probably more so than any RTS seen to date.. maybe even any game ever) and will now be much more fleshed out. Do you mean to tell me you want 3x the game for the same price? Why would you even expect that from Blizzard when you would never even think to ask that of another company. That's the hypocrisy I'm talking about. Blizzard just guaranteed us more multi-player and single-player content.. What's there to complain about? Once you get over paying, it's all good things. Think about how much an additional expansion pack could have benefited the original StarCraft.

Understand that we aren't getting one game split into three. We are getting 2 expansion packs.. one more than we're used it.. We are getting three games in three. What's wrong with that? More of a great thing can ONLY be good once you understand it correctly.

.. How did I bring this up? This isn't my topic ..

Also, you do realize each new product will be bring more units to the mutliplayer, right? Why do you have a problem with this but not Brood Wars and The Frozen Throne? This is the hypocrisy I'm talking about and is the reason I will not apologize.

I'm saying your money problems couldn't be as bad as you are saying or else you shouldn't even be able to afford the electricity to run the game. Complain about that.. not having the gift of being able to pay to get more content that will last you so long. Also, I never told you how to spend your money. In fact, my post wasn't even to you. In effect, you were eavesdropping.. which is incredibly rude. But, it doesn't matter.

My lifestyle is no better than your's.. it's probably far worse.

--

I can tell by a lot of your responses that you still don't have all the information on this "new arrangement". Here's a link to an interview with Chris Sigaty...

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/11/key-starcraft-ii-trilogy-details/

You should also watch the panels where they announce this. The announcer tells you exactly why they did this and the other options they considered.. Thank God they chose this one! I think you'll agree once you read and watch all of this and get past the measly $59.99 (immediately after release). If you're going to complain about that, why were you so pro-one expansion in other topics? Just because you have the gift of having another expansion complete with new multi-player features (Yes, these products contain news multi-player maps and additions to that and the campaign editor.. as well as bringing stronger balancing earlier)

I have faith you can amass a measly 0.16 cents a day to pay for an expansion every year or so.

9. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

Exactly. If it means getting the multiplayer faster, then I'm all for it. And it means that the single-player will be EPIC so that is also good. The only thing that might make me change my mind is if the price is still 50-60 dollars a piece. I want to have three parts of one game, not three games that all have the full price.

10. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

i swear to god thats like one of remys posts, 5 miles long.

anyways i agree with findlay, i can spend the money the first release will be the tester, if its every bit as epic as i think it will be i have no problem spending money, and if it *somehow* fails my expectations i just wont buy the sequals and will be just like all the other pc games i dont play, (curse u gears of war and ur ****ed up instalation, never got the damn thing to work, no refunds)

also as i recall, nowadays standerd starcraft sells for $10 and the expansion ALSO sells for $10 i never heard any1 complaining about those. so dont give me the OMG WTFCRAPTIZZLE that expansions are gonna be the same price, you anteed up the money before, surely in lesser amounts but still, 9/10 of you were poorer 5 years ago or whenever the last time u bought the game cuz your copy broke from overuse.
    also gives me something to look forward to.

11. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    I think its a great idea, we get twice the campaign (since each will probally be a tiny bit shorter than 1 massive game). Plus its released earlier xD.

Lets say its 40$ and each is released 6 months from each other...thats a quarter of a can of coke a day lost in opportunity cost each day? And it'll mean you don't have to buy other games during that time plus your moneys going to blizzard to help them make more games. Of course your also helping the American economy by spending more money (If you even are) !

Havn't read tychus's rant in full but i agree with most of what he says.

12. I wasn't ranting :) I was just correcting some people's misunderstandings in what I said

That being said.. My responses are usualy pretty long :) I give a lot of thought into each of them .. I remember in one topic I posted about 10 responses and each of which I had to cut back on because of the character limit :)

It was about DRM in games, if you want to see :)

13. kuvasz

Hungary
    A lot of thought huh? Calling everyone hypocrits and putting words into people's mouths doesn't seem like a lot of thought, it seems like a tantrum. You need to learn to respect others and not treat them like ignorant children just because they understand something differently. And even if you were only trying to explain it, you did the worse job possible. Next such post gets a rep decrease.

I think this trilogy will, besides splitting the community unnecessarily, among other things, screw up the learning curves of Zerg and Protoss compared to the Terran, and will make the game hard to enjoy/understand for people new to the SC universe.

14. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Actually 1 disc COULD last me 10 years. People still play Original Starcraft, Original Diablo II. Hell, I still play Diablo1 online. I see no reason why not buying the rest would prevent me from having fun... If having fun is "keeping up to date" to you then, I don't want part of this argument anymore.

But seriously man, stop forcing your biased ideas into other peoples faces. We are all going to take different actions and regardless of what we do, it most likely wont affect you. Saying you are worse off than others does not raise a point, but more of a complaint.

15. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I hate it, the fact that blizzard had to make them each stand-alone products pushes up the price, if blizzard releases them as add-ons or expansions so you don't have to pay for the basic game 3 times just because i want the story.

In order to have full starcraft2 i now need to upgrade my computer, upgrade my internet connection and buy 3 games :(.

If blizzard releases addons for the zerg and protoss aswell as standalone versions, with the addons costing less, then i wouldn't feel so ripped off, but the way they worded it, with each 'game' meant to be standalone, it just feels like a kick in the teeth.

And don't try to say that the zerg and protoss won't cost as much, having it contain the same content in multiplayer/engine/AI etc, it would impossible for it to be, otherwise many casual gamers including me will just wait and get a cheap one, **** having melee a few months early and having to pay that much more for my least favourite races story.

I really don't know what blizzard is thinking now, i voted no based of the information they have given us.

16. So, you would rather have a vastly inferior product then to pay a few dollars more?

17. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    well, if each one costs 1 dollar, then yes i would only have to pay a few dollars more.

i actually said i would rather get an option to just buy the addons instead of purchasing the same product 3 times just to get maps.

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    But you don't know how much they'll cost, do you? For most people that's the biggest factor, and IMO it's pretty pointless to argue without knowing that.

19. Triceron

Triceron New Member

You're not paying for the same content...

most likely they will add a few more units per race for multiplayer like a _real expansion pack_.

They already made parallels to Brood War and Frozen Throne as to how they're approaching these campaigns.